Whats the Worst thing about SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

In my opinion:

1) Right off the bat you need a new player.

2) Most titles NOT Hybrid, even tho it works.

3) Most titles not surround sound. C'mon, give US the choice!!!!

4) Doesnt serve anyone but audiophiles. The big labels arent going to push it for that reason.

5) I've really started something here, havent I?? :))

2. wes

wes Senior Member

The worst thing?......................There's not enough of em........

-Wes

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The worst thing about SACD is that Steve hasn't yet remastered The Beatles for SACD!

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The 2 worst things about SACD's (IMO):

1. The name Super Audio CD, it's doesn't roll of the tongue.

2. More titles needed...

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's still an audiophile product... and I don't believe it will ever change!

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Worst thing? Not enough titles!

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Too few titles.

8. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Well, both DVD-A and SACD have relativly slow disc access time, but other than not enough titles, nothing, it is better than cd!

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ditto :agree:

Mikey, I really don't find fault in the same things you do...

True, but after buying two new SACD players of the past 18 months, both have made a huge improvement on standard CD sound. I know enjoy my CDs more than ever thanks to my Sony XA777ES player.

This is true, however when I really plan to sit down and listen, I'll be at home, and it really doesn't matter then. More and more releases are/will be hybrids. This will change.

Do we really need to hear "A Love Supreme" in 5.1? I'd rather the focus on a nice stereo tranfer 1st. If they do a 5.1 mix, it's just a bonus IMO.

Hey, vote with your dollar. Nothing starts as an instant success. People swore up and down that DVD wouldn't take off, but now everyone see its benefit.
    Yup.

10. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I kept hearing after CES that more titles would be hybrid, but the Police and Peter Gabriel situation hasn't instilled a lot of confidence in me.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

surround sound = remix. Although many feel, and rightfully so, that any remix is blasphemy, a new 5.1 can be very interesting, as long as the original stereo (or mono) is retained.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the worst thing:

that the record companies have the audacity to expect middle age consumers to rebuy their music for a third time. (lp - cd - sacd (dvd-a)).

i stand by my convictions that they will not be able to sell a new music format universally for at least two, maybe three, more generations. people just aren't going to do it, it is too soon. compact discs have only been around for 20 years.

renny

13. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

In the US perhaps, but both of those catalogues will be hybrids in the UK/Europe. In the US AND Europe, Up and Every Breath You Take:The Classics are both hybrids. There are 4 or 5 new hybrid SACD manufacturing lines either online, or coming online this year. I think 2 or 3 of them are in the US. They're not building them for display purposes, believe me.

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

For me?

1) Lack of good titles. Some look interesting, but there's no "killer app" that would make me run out and get a player just yet.

2) VHS vs. Beta...or SACD vs. DVD-A. The manufacturers would rather pit the formats against each other than agree on one format. I don't want to be limited in what I play, and I refuse to own two or three separate players--any player I buy has to play everything, and do it properly. (No DSD to PCM conversions for me!)

3) No hybrid, no sale!

4) Fears of mail-order foul-ups. Look at all the Sam (No)Goody shipping errors for the Police titles!

I'm also not going to get trapped up in replacing CDs with SACD equivalents. I would rather buy new music I haven't heard yet, rather than buy something a third or fourth time.

15. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

If there is only one thing I still think nothing sounds quite as good as (analogue) tape but, in a practical sense it's the best mass media for pure audio we have so far. Don't forget it's still in its infancy and no doubt will improve with technology and time. Just look how far CD has come from its inception. As far as a cost/performance ratio is concerned SACD is a winner IMHO anyway.

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

My gripe would have to do with the process of acquiring new selections. If you've been out of the loop for a couple weeks then decide to spend some enjoyable time in a B&M, what you know exists should be there.

I would certainly like to find some great DCC's, but I know they are out of print and I accept that frustration. SACD's are in print, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to find what you know is current.

17. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

not enough titles and the fact that there is no graphic protion of the spec being used yet...

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No need to worry there: the multi-tracks are long gone.

But I agree more 5.1/stereo/hybrid options offer just that--options--to all consumers, to pick and choose as they like on one disc. It makes so much sense I'm amazed there are so few titles of that nature.

The lack of graphics don't mean much to me; the lack of titles, as with DVD-A, is a big problem at this time.

ED:cool:

19. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

This is just a thought, just something that popped into my feeble brain....

Is their REALLY a lack of hybrid capable plants?? Almost every DVD movie you buy is a dual layer disc, and SACD hybrids are based on the same technology. It would seem to me that their is plenty of manufacturing capable of manufacturing a dual layer disc and enough QC to verify that the layers are properly positioned.

Or is it just that there aren't enough SACD capable manufacturers that that can produce the high rez layer?? Could it be that Sony is not as forthcoming with the DSD technology to permit production in the plants that are capable of doing it??

20. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

When you walk into a record store and ask:

Do you carry any SACDs? and they look at you like you're speaking some foreign tongue and reply HUH! What's That???

Not too encouraging.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is the companies' fault! They pushed the CD as being perfect sound forever, and now they have to convince an uninterested public about the major sound improvements in this new format. But, they aren't even trying! They are too busy trying to sue everybody for stupid mp3 files!

22. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I agree, when CD, (Perfect Sound Forever) came out, I bought into it. It took several years to realize I had been duped, most releases sounded horrible. The only reason I continued to listen to CD was out of convenience. Currently, we see remaster after remaster on CD. I'm sure SACD will do the same thing.

I'd rather pull out an LP of the same material than go out and rebuy it on SACD.

It's really going to be up to the kids to make SACD and DVD-Audio prosper, and these are the kids who download most of their music from the internet, burn MP3's and could care less about sound quality. They would rather spend their money on Playstation games than a $15 music disc.:)

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I agree! :thumbsup: That was my first thought.

24. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I think you've answered your own postualtion. Hi rez music (in whatever form) is likely to remain a niche product (i.e. more expensive (even if only a few bucks more), less quantities). Younger folks that are happy with 160 or 192 kbps MP3's (downloaded free) are unlikely to spend money on or even appreciate hi-rez music.

My frustration is at the retail level. I went out at lunch today and picked up 3 of the Police SACD's here in Toronto for $20 CDN from a smaller retailer (also got two of the redbook Police CD's for 10 bucks CDN a piece). I then go to our current biggest retailer (HMV) who have all the Police SACD's but at $26 CDN (I believe the official Canadian retail is $24). I ask the staff member why it's so expensive. His response is that they don't sell many; when they sell more, the price will come down. I inform him that people will not buy SACD's at that price (especially when they're cheaper elsewhere). Complete chicken and the egg scenario.

Likewise with DVD-A, where the best prices here are at a big box retailer (Best Buy) versus the so-called "record" stores.

Cliff

25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The worst thing about SACDs is that there are too many different types. It is confusing to the consumer. Some are stickered wrong, and they get thrown in with regular CDs in some stores, causing unknowing consumers to bring home a "CD" they cannot play.

Besides, they don't sound as good as DVD-A's :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.