Whats the Worst thing about SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

1. Not enough Hybrids.... to quote Rudy "No hybrid, no sale!"
    2. Having to search the stores like Best Buy & Circut City to see where their hiding them. (At least Media Play has SACD's & DVD-A's in their own separate section.)
    3. Not even being carried by major CD chains like FYE/Cocoanuts.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, they sound BETTER!:laugh:

DVD-A is more confusing because there are too many ways to play them. At least most SACDs are stickered or marked correctly!:thumbsup:

3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Not enough of them out there(yet)and most of the store help doesn't know a thing about them.Also the Rolling Stones sampler should be more available.Hint,hint,anybody know where I can get one?

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

some of the hybrids choke on certain cd players, they need to fix that one -real- bad.
    I tend to think it's a tossup which sounds better, but I like the graphics of DVD-A and I'm not interested in upgrading to a new unit just to hear 2 channel sound marginally better.
    I don't care for regular cd much at all and avoid it wherever possible (and I've had cd for 20 years!).
    I'll consider investing in SACD when combo players become commonplace (c'mon, every DVD player made from here on out should be one) but of course the 'format wars' have to be setted first...sigh.

5. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Not playable on the computer.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

the worst thing? Two entries:

1) not enough titles available
    2) not enough money to buy what's available :(

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Should have been hybrid SACD/CD discs ONLY, right from the start.

8. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

The DSD format may set a ceiling for the best resolution/sound achievable when even better formats, maybe a blu-ray-type SACD, come along, if people archive to DSD and destroy the analog tape.

9. Grant

Could you restate or clarify that???:confused:

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

He means that archiving to DSD and then tossing the original analog masters is foolhardy. Aside from the fact that analog tape isn't forever, if DSD isn't "perfect", we may become limited when something better comes along.

- Gabe

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Huhh.

Bought Carol King's Tapestry. Choose the multi channel SACD, not the earlier 2 channel only SACD.

Turns out the multi channel has a remixed 2 channel layer.

I've now ordered the original 2 channel only SACD. One day it'll get here.

I have the redbook remaster, too.

And the Classic Records 45 RPM version.

I suspect the 45RPM version will be the best sounding, based on my listening experiences - so far.

So - the worse thing about SACD? Revisionists who think their remixed music is better than the original. :realmad:

:sigh:

12. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

That I don't have a player.

13. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Gabe said what me want to say better. Right. DSD seems a decent escape pod in the event the analog disintegrates, disappears, etc. But assuming the analog tape can be preserved, DSD should not be viewed as an archival substitute unless someone, God knows why anyone would (physical space, i.e., storage requirements maybe), decides that it is okay if the material never sounds better than DSD. Not an inherent flaw of the DSD format, just a potential trap set by its present reign as the gee-whiz digital format and the possibility that with each new digital format the differences will be less noticeable. Of course, there would be no differences if music could never sound better than SACD.

14. What bugs me . . .

Not even being carried by major CD chains like FYE/Coconuts. RIGHT ON! They've never heard of them. Problem is cultural: being a record store clerk is 'just another job' these days. Music fans don't even seek out that kind of work.

AND limited selection at the few brick and mortar stores that do have them . . .

AND the single-layer-not-backwards-compatible business. I have ONE Sony SACD title for this reason. WAKE UP SONY!!!!! I am buying your format on other labels who actually seem to care about the consumer more than you do.

The one Sony sacd I have does not sound right either, shrill highs/no bass, it's Blonde On Blonde!!!

Universal's, ABCKO's and Audio Fidelity's product blows Sony's away!

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I think what your hearing there has less to do with SACD and more to do with the original recording...

16. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I think the worst thing is that they aren't the industry standard yet. I still buy a crapload of new music, and it would be nice to stop spending money on a lesser format.

Gary,
    Do you know if Sony's doing this to all the titles they're rereleasing in multichannel? I still haven't made a move on that SRV disc...maybe I should.

17. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

and analogue tape is perfect?

18. GoldenBoy

And too many varying resolutions. I don't exactly appreciate a DVD-A being labeled as having 'Advanced Resolution' sound, and then finding out that the either the stereo mix or multichannel mix or both are really only 48/24:eek: ! Why does the L.A. Woman DVD-A have only an 88.2/24 stereo mix and a 96/24 multichannel mix? :confused: Totally senseless nonsense. It's bad enough that the multichannel portion can't even support the highest 192/24 resolution, but then they start making the stereo resolution lower than the multichannel resolution?

19. Grant

Exactly! And, DVD-A only cofuses the consumer more.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have no idea. :confused: I certainly hope not!

It's the only one I've noticed, though.

21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

You guys are a riot.

How can DVD-A confuse the customer???

Can the customer take home a DVD-A that will NOT play in a DVD player?

NO

Can the customer take home an SACD that will NOT play in his CD player?

YES

Can the customer take home a DVD-A that will play in multiple multichannel formats that do not even require a dedicated DVD-A player for multichannel playback?

YES

Can the cutomer take home an SACD that will play back multichannel in his CD PLayer?

NO

Can the cutomer take home an SACD that will play back multichannel in all SACD players?

NO

--------------------------------------------------------------

Really, does the average consumer really even understand the different resolutions available on a DVD-A? I doubt it.

Face it, some people like SACD, some people like DVD-A, some people like me appreciate both formats.

DVD-A has Silverline..............what can I say? :D

SACD has losers like "Bat Out of Hell".

There are good and there are bad, but if you people want to trash an up an coming format as "confusing", you have to at least consider the opposite point of view.

We are "arguing" over 2 formats that are a "blip" on the screen. Let's lighten up here folks. There are more important things going on in the world to get fired up about.

22. GoldenBoy

Sure, and this is in no way a problem with DVD-A's. :rolleyes:

23. GoldenBoy

A customer can take home a DVD-A that won't play in stereo on any DVD player.

A customer can take home a DVD-A that will fold down a multichannel mix into stereo and sound atrocious.

A customer can take home a DVD-A and not be able to figure out how to access the various mixes

A customer may be able to take home an SACD that will not play in a CD player (that's why it is a new format) but:

A customer can't take any DVD-A outside of his home and play it in their car stereo or boombox or whatever

A customer can take home some SACD's that they can play somewhere other than their HT room.

A customer can take home a DVD-A that will not play in multichannel in any DVD player (yes, they do make stereo only DVD-A's)

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Gee Goldenboy, I take it you don't like DVD-A?
    Does it really bother you that much???
    Too Bad. :laugh:

25. GoldenBoy

Actually, I do like DVD-A, I just don't prefer it. :) I take it you don't like SACD? Well, too bad. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.