Whats the Worst thing about SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Of course it's all about resolution, but I said 'push the boundaries', I never commented on the inherent resolution of either format. IMO, analogue tape cannot push the boundaries of Redbook. Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion. :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

GoldenGuy,

The boundaries of Digital PCM have already been pushed to their limit if I play back a master tape vs. the PCM copy and hear things like echo fall off on the digital. If they sounded the same in an A/B all our problems would be over and my job would be so much easier.

3. GoldenBoy

But, how do you know the flaw lies in PCM and not the DACs or some other part of the chain? Things can get lost transferring from tape to tape as well. The moment you set out to make a copy, something is going to get lost or added, wouldn't you say? That is why we need mastering engineers such as yourself, to ensure that the least amount of information goes missing or is changed. I don't see this as an inherent flaw, or as pushing the boundaries.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There's more than twenty years of solid engineering experience in the ADCs and DACs used by studios. I think they've managed to sort out most of the problems. And yet we have an experienced mastering engineer telling us in this thread that analogue pushes the boundaries of Redbook. I believe the limitations are in the standard.

Ask yourself this question - if the CD was invented today, with the modern computing power we are used to, would it sample at 44.1 kHz and use 16-bit word length?

Regards,
    Geoff

5. GoldenBoy

I may not be a mastering engineer, but I am experienced in the studio as a recording engineer for over ten years, and I have to respectfully disagree.

That argument is irrelevant. Business is driven by dollars, and in order to make the dollars companies have to push product. In order to push product that has already saturated the market, one has to convince the customer that the current product is better, 'new and improved' if you will. There are many on these boards that maintain vinyl is better than CD's, but, if they were to set out to create an audio carrier today, ask yourself this question: would they make it a piece of round wax that is read through direct contact with a stylus? Well, we already know the answer to that question, don't we?

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right.

The answer to this question, as we know, is simply this: no.

7. Gerry

Gerry New Member

I'd love to know your source on this. My studies have indicated that the theoretical advantages are clear. Whether or not they are audible can well be questioned, but I've run across no mathematical "disproof" of the preference for using dither over simple truncation.

8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

If you can't hear the difference between analogue and digital then maybe you can see it.

Just compare a fine grained emulsion in photography to a digital photograph. After a point there is NO comparison, period.
    You can manipulate a digital photograph far more easily but, if you compose and expose properly with a film camera the result still is far superior.

9. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Steve Hoffman said:

Thank goodness somebody in authority finally said this!

I've been trying to explain on several forums that high sampling rates aren't better because we need to reproduce frequencies up to 96kHz :rolleyes: ; it 's because all those extra samples can detect--and upon playback-- reproduce all those fine details that make something sound REAL.

I've also posted this next link numerous times and no one ever seems to look at it. It has an excellent animated graph of a 44.1khz sampled analog wave vs. a wave sampled at 192kHz--the differences are very large as far as resolution goes (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that sampled wave is a 20kHz wave).

Dvd-audio explained (from the people who build a huge amount of dvd-audio playback hardware.)

After picking a language, click on "About dvd-audio", then "How it works", then "sampling and quantization". Please!!!

I didn't just blow 200 bucks on a dvd-audio player simply to fill up an empty shelf in my rack! And no, it's not a Panasonic.

[T]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.