What's under your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP) Thread Starter

Just a fun little thread to check out what others are using under their tables for isolation, or coupling, or filtering, or some mix of goals.

I've been experimenting lately with a sandwich of 2" high density packing foam between two 3/16" tempered glass cutting boards under my Clearaudio, and like it so far. There is also an array of felt footers between the bottom glass and the wood shelving unit, and silicone rubber pads on the bottom of the Clearaudio feet, so lots of filtering, but nothing that goes very low in frequency.

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------
    Jane Weaver on the table today, love Modern Kosmology from 2017, the new Loops In The Secret Society out later this month with updates and re-imaginings of the songs on Modern Kosmology and also the great The Silver Globe, highly looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Waxxy, G E, black sheriff and 13 others like this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not that I should be proud of this fact, but just under the table that my Dual 1229 sits on, is my old Paradigm Series 200 subwoofer, (which is a HUGE subwoofer!) and it is actually hooked up to my Scott 299b and Klipsch Chorus 1's. Believe it or not, I barely get any feedback from that sub being there and that is even when I play vinyl that has a lot of bass.

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Auralex Isolation Platform with some apparent dust bunnies :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Minus K + HRS platform. I need the Minus K because of footfalls on a springy wooden floor in an old Victorian house.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Under my Rega P5 is an Ikea Lack end table. Light and rigid like like the Rega. Works perfectly.

7. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

My EAT C-Sharp rests on a 2" thick Mapleshade platform supported by 2" thick hard rubber and cork iso-block footers. Works beautifully.

caracallac and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You have to love the names Ikea comes up with.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wood shelf in a stereo cabinet

mjcmt likes this.
  10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

my homemade platforms consist of 1/2" particleboard, 1/2" sound-deadening board and 1" sheet foam holding it all up. Works very well and I use the platforms under all my components

11. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP) Thread Starter

What kind of foam? And what kind of sound deadening board, the fiber wall board stuff you get at places like Home Depot? Glued together?

BrentB likes this.
  12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The sound deadening board is at my local HD or Lowes but you have to buy a 4x8 sheet and it's made of recycled paper. Its been around since the 1950s. I bought the foam at Michaels and bought the largest roll available - about $25. I used spray adhesive to hold everything together and wrapped it in fabric.

Johnny Vinyl and Vinny123 like this.
  13. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Nice. I’ve found foam used w other materials works well under my tt

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Sorbothane pieces under each foot and Ikea bamboo butcher block.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Rega wall bracket.

16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There’s an IKEA shelf unit on casters under my Rega.

[​IMG]

sweet bippy, Waxxy, tmiddle2 and 15 others like this.
  17. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Hockey pucks.

Simon A, CDFanatic, Mr. Dean and 8 others like this.
  18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

ISOAcoustics Orea plus an industrial EVA pad under the motor.

[​IMG]

Westerwick, Waxxy, Gasman1003 and 4 others like this.
  19. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

20. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I use a 2" Boos Butcher Block (maple) with some cork/rubbet isolation pads.

JL6161, conjotter, csgreene and 2 others like this.
  21. missan

missan Forum Resident

In principle all words are Swedish, but I think there are some Norwegian too. Under the TT I use sorbothane feet.

McLover and Bird like this.
  22. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

While they do sound Scandinavian, I thought they are made up names like some of the Japanese and Korean car's models.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

No, no made up names what I know.

Uglyversal likes this.
  24. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I've used the original Target Wall Mount for a number of years now after running across a used one for a decent price. I've experimented with a ton of different materials in addition to and/or to replaced the original MDF shelf material that came with it (and is pretty crappy).

I've experimented with very thick tempered glass, corian, granite, marble, phenolic, various cutting boards etc. and settled on replacing the MDF shelf in the wall mount with a constrained layer shelf that consists of baltic birch on the bottom (either 3/8" or 1/2" I think-can't tell now as it it sits deep in the wall mount) with a 1/8" thick piece of neoprene sheeting on top of that and a piece of extruded acrylic that is about 1/4" or 3/8" thick on top of that.

I used to site the table directly on top of that 3 layer shelf, but recently added 3 Herbie's "Cone/Spike Puckies" (the stainless version) under the feet of my Gyrodec as well. A little bit pricey around $18 U.S. a piece but they did make a noticeable improvement and cleaned up things just a bit more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well I don't need or use anything under my table for isolation, although in my house I need it badly, bouncy floors.

So I have SOTA Star Sapphires that totally eliminate the issues.