What's with the price jump?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking at record cleaning machines. It looks like 4 or so years ago these things jumped in price. A post from a few years ago said a Clearaudio Matrix cost around the same price as a VPI 16.5. Those things are twice the price!

This goes for more than RCMs. Ive been doing a lot of research and it seems that most everything has had a large jump in price.

Did I just get into this game a few years late?

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Maybe the vinyl resurgence has something to do with it?

ben_wood and Jim T like this.
  3. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

If you consider hi-fi equipment to be luxury goods, there has been an increase in other luxury goods as well over the past 5 or so years, specifically watches and fountain pens. Which happen to be the other two hobbies I dabble in.

Strangely, home theater (or consumer level goods, televisions, mass produced receivers, etc) has remained relatively consistent over the same time period.

I have no idea why this would be, just my observations.

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I was lucky enough to find a new Smart Matrix on A'gon 5 or 6 years ago for $500. The new ones are better though, the housing being built from aluminum.

5. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

The Clearaudio (Smart) Matrix was never the same retail price as a VPI 16.5. The newer Smart Matrix Professional is more expensive than the previous version because it is a much upgraded machine.

6. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Are you sure that your housing is not built from aluminum? It's supposed to be.

7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Nope, the first ones were mdf, which is okay with me.

8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The buyers have the money and will pay it. Under the laws of economics, this will cause more vendors to enter the business and prices will decline. However, if the market is not price sensitive or if the product is "Veblen goods" this may be ineffective. I doubt that record cleaners are 'Veblen goods' but the buyers may be price insensitive on this item.

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hyperinflation is on the way. Our lovely central bankers have been printing trillions and buying Treasuries and €urobonds on the way to Weimar Street. Record cleaning machines?! Next week, a loaf of bread and an egg will cost you a grand.

(hic).

jlc76 and thesisinbold like this.
  10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

11. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Let's see. A record cleaning machine, a loaf of bread and an egg. I wonder what culinary delight we could construct with that?

bhazen likes this.
  12. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

I think if you crack open your old microeconomics textbook and look up "shift in the demand curve", I think you'll have the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.