What's your 3 favorite J. Geils Band albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

For the two different era's of the band's history, Bloodshot and Love Stinks are my two "go to" albums when I want to spin an actual studio album from their catalog. Blow Your Face Out works similarly if I want something live.

And while it technically doesn't count for this poll, it's pretty hard to beat The Best Of The J. Geils Band for an overall great listening experience from the band.

MikaelaArsenault and Pete Puma like this.
  2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

The debut plus the two live albums but the studio version of Give It To Me is essential.
    Three of a kind.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Only ONE vote for Hotline?! - I bet half the people that voted never even heard that album. :realmad:

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If I were voting for the three best studio albums, I would have voted for it. I voted for Live Full House, Blow Your Face Out and S/T.

I am surprised Bloodshot has so many votes. I like The Morning After, Nightmares And Other Tales From The Vinyl Jungle and Hot Line better.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, they were great live! :righton:

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If you are going for a compilation, nothing beats the 2 cd Houseparty: The J Geils Band Anthology and it also contains some rare non-lp single sides as well. Too bad it doesn't have all of them and their live track from the Mar Y Sol Festival lp.

Kingsley Fats, Rocketdog and npgchris like this.
  7. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Monkey Island, Full House, Blow Your Face Out

8. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

First album, Full House, Blow Your Face Out.
    Love the live albums, but the studio stuff is good too.

9. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Within the last few years, I've reacquainted myself with some of the J. Geils Band's outputs. I had "Freeze Frame" when I was a kid, but since then, I've picked up copies of "Live-Full House", "Sanctuary" and "Bloodshot" as well as the '79 Rockpalast Cd/Dvd combo set, and also as an mp3 version of "Blow Your Face Out". I've gotta say that they were SMOKIN' back in the 70's, for sure and I'd like to get "Nightmares..." and "Monkey Island" next. It would be a fitting tribute to Mr. Giles(RIP) if there could be a reissue campaign of their 70's catalog; I'm holding out for this to come to fruition, I feel they deserve it.

By the way, I voted "Live-Full House" and "Sanctuary".

Pete Puma likes this.
  10. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

You should really check out some of the early Atlantic stuff. It rocks much harder and meaner than the EMI albums.

SonicBob, Kingsley Fats and John Fell like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Amen brother!:edthumbs:

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  12. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

True, but Monkey Island and the EMI albums have a bit more variety and even pop to offer the listener. Best just to get 'em all. :)

SonicBob likes this.
  13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I voted for the 3 live albums. To be honest I haven't spent enough time with the studio releases, but I doubt I'll ever prefer any of the studio albums to the live stuff.

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

True. I was thinking more along the lines of a single album, though. I should have been more specific.

15. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Monkey Island is a masterpiece. Live Full House is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Choosing a 3rd from the Atlantic albums was very difficult but I went for Bloodshot.
    The worst of the Atlantic albums is still way better than the best EMI album.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

For me it's Full House, Ladies Invited and Sanctuary with Monkey Island and Love Stinks running a close 4th and 5th...

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Pete Puma

Artwork Spotlight Bump#2:
    [​IMG]

18. Pete Puma

I listened to the S/T CD on the drive to work. This album has the energy and passion of their live outings -very good debut. I don't think I had ever heard it before as it was one I never owned, nor did any of my friends.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Their first 2 albums are my favorites of the studio albums.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If you have Full House, then IMO you have the best songs from the first two, done better. So then it's Bloodshot, I think it's heir best studio lp. Ladies Invited has its moments, but Chimes is a horrible song.

21. Pete Puma

I suggest giving Monkey Island a spin and see if it floats your boat.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 1st 3 for me! Felt like they started going a little 'commercial' with the 4th and going forward I completely lost interest. 1st time I saw them was between their 1st & 2nd albums, they looked exactly like they did on the 1st cover. They had such a raw, street vibe going on back than! Oddly enough, I always felt Faye Dunaway 'Yoko'd' the band when Wolf married her! To my young & twisted way of thinking, they lost not only their original direction but also some street cred once she entered the scene!

23. Pete Puma

I probably entered the fan picture after they lost their "street cred", as I didn't start listening to them until '75-76. But I can't agree the band got Yoko'ed until maybe 1982-83 when Wolf split. I had no idea that Faye Dunaway had even married Wolf until recently. I was really just into their music, not their personal lives.

24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Really great record.
    So Tight and professional - some change to the great Live Full House totally speeding up the tracks from the s/t --

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

1. Nightmares and Other Tales.....
    2. Blow Your Face Out
    3. The Morning After

Funny, I have always liked Blow Your Face Out better. But hey, that's OK. I mean, just the whole idea of 17 songs as opposed to 8. I know the quality of quantity argument, but for me, not here.

marmil and Pete Puma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.