What's your all-time favourite reggae album or band?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Glad you liked it!

And by "not the strongest voice" I don't mean "bad." I love Don's voice, but he's got a softer delivery than someone like Dennis Brown, who I would describe as having a "strong" voice, as well as guys like John Holt, Freddie McGregor, and Toots - strong voices all of them.

Also, if you like Jamaican DJ styles, pair the title track "Them Never Know.." to Luie Lepki's "Willie Red."

2. Reader

Reader Senior Member

As I stated in my previous post I like some reggae I've heard but don't feel like I know enough to be able to say what branch of reggae/ska/etc. certain songs fit into. I've heard enough and bought a few things so I know I want to hear more. If I had to pick one song that I especially like it would be this to start: " Double Barrel" by Dave and Ansell Collins.
    It is funny, exciting and just overflowing with energy. I've never anything that sounds like it. I like it so much I hunted until I got both the U.S. 45 and U.K. 45 of it . Are there any other things that I should hear that would go along with this type of recording?

Also, like these a lot:

Police and Thieves - Junior Murvin
    Armagideon Time - Willie Weeks
    007 (Shanty Town) - Desmond Dekker
    54-46 (That's My Number) - the Maytals

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I think you might mean "Armagideon Time" by Willi Williams.

And I don't want to overwhelm you with recommendations, but if you haven't yet checked out some of Jackie Mittoo's work, especially at Studio One, you may like it. You may also like some Derrick Morgan (based on your mention of the Maytals and Dekker).

Reader and GRC like this.
  4. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

The Congos "Heart of the Congos" - what a friggin great album. I discovered it relatively late, but boy, was I in for a big surprise. Before that it would be Marley or Israelites in Dub or something...

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

For those that enjoy Reggae, have all their Bob Marley albums and maybe the stray album by Toot & the Maytals, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Black Uhuru etc., and now want to dig deeper but don't really know where to go, I strongly suggest checking out the book: The Rough Guide to Reggae by Steve Barrow & Peter Dalton.

I was in the described situation myself about 10+ years ago, wanting to explore Reggae more seriously but not really knowing how to go about it, when I discovered that book and a whole new musical universe opened up, a world of music with it's own history, working quite independently, in parallel with the world of western popular music that I had known up to that point.

It is the story of Jamaican music detailing the different eras and the artists, producers and labels around during each, and there are many great listening suggestions (CD's and vinyl) at the end of every chapter, each record gets a good description. (It is a bit out of date though since most of the titles mentioned are no longer available and can be hard to find.) The book is out of print (it had three editions) but I found it via my library, and the information in it has been indispesable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  6. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I am not that much into DJ style, but this is a nice song too. I like Don Carlos the most when he is singing with Groundation.

7. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

My favorite reggae album >>>

[​IMG]

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Been listening to Early B, not sure how/where he fits into the picture
    but his vocal delivery rhythms spin me out into da space

9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Tough question! Maybe Peter Tosh -- Legalize It

or this fantastic various artists singles collection (also including ska, reggae-fied pop, etc.), which is probably the one I throw on the stereo most often:
    [​IMG]
    The Tougher Than Tough box mentioned above is also essential.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  10. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Just in case anyone missed it, this week sees a 30-track deluxe 2CD of Handsworth Revolution.... Full details and tracklist here

Widely acclaimed as a classic, ‘Handsworth Revolution’ not only established Steel Pulse as one of reggae’s most talented and original groups, it also proved beyond doubt that the UK could produce roots music of the highest quality.

Originally released in the summer of 1978, the album caught the prevailing mood among many young black Britons, who readily identified with such hard-hitting songs as ‘Ku Klux Klan’ and ‘Prodigal Son’, both of made serious inroads into the mainstream charts that year. Now, with the release of this deluxe 2CD set, the album at last receives the attention such a ground-breaking collection merits, with the original 8 tracks augmented by an incredible 22 bonus tracks.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

BM&TW Live
    Followed by a lot of his others

If I had to go non Marley:
    Black Uhuru Red

badsneakers likes this.
  12. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Bob Marley and the Wailers, brought Reggae to the masses. favorite album Exodus

13. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

My favourite ever Reggae singer is Dennis Brown........ Legend!!

14. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Wasn't that Eric Clapton?.......Of course that was a joke!!

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

only to the US, Reggae was well established in many other countries before Bob Marley achieved worldwide recognition

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hard to pick and all-time favorite.

Johnny Osbourne - Truths & Rights is certainly up there for me.

Listening to Wailing Souls - Inchpinchers right now.

17. james

james Summon The Queen

Sun Araw turned me on to The Congos. I'll add yet another vote for Heart Of The Congos as favorite album

Great recommendations here. Looking forward to checking some of these out

18. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I picked-up this one, recently.
    I've had it on CD for many years, but am glad to have a nice vinyl copy.
    I rate it in my top 10. Serves as an excellent introduction to dub (courtesy of King Tubby) as well.

[​IMG]

19. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

You have just made my day!

johnnybrum likes this.
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I can also add, for fans of the group, that an upcoming release from Reggae Archive Records, The Midlands Roots Explosion Volume One, will have the first Steel Pulse single included, “Kibudu–Mansatta-Abuku” (+ B-side version), a nice complement.

http://reggaearchiverecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-midlands-roots-explosion-volume-one

21. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Very nice! I've got the original 7", but it'd be great to have a nice cut on CD, too.
    Between that compilation and the Handsworth deluxe, it looks like "Nyah Luv" is one of the last of their early tunes to see some sort of re-issue treatment.

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, I was just thinking that it has fallen between the cracks. It was available on the now out of print Don't Call Us Immigrants from Pressure Sounds (which can still be found), while the Island Sound System Anthology has a live version instead. I don't think the B-side dub, "Luv Nyah", is available anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    badsneakers likes this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't have a favorite album or band, I like a lot of Reggae songs but listening to an entire album of it gets old real fast with me. A little goes a long way.

24. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Good call. I really like that Pressure Sounds comp. It has some great stuff on it, like Pablo Gad's Hard Times, Reggae Regular's Where Is Jah? and Misty In Roots early single Six One Penny. Shame it's out of print. Sometimes they repress older titles or find old stock that is a bit damaged and put it up on their website at a reduced price. I love Pressure Sounds!

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Some years ago I got hold of many out of print titles from Pete at Pressure Sounds, there were copies laying around that he fixed me up with, great service!

badsneakers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.