What's Your Fav Universal Studio Classic horror flick?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd have an impossible time picking one, really not a fair question, depends on my mood.... but I've got The Black Cat 1934 cued up for tonight, Karloff's hairdo is enough to scare the hell out of you, & it's moody and atmospheric as all hell. Man, some really great stuff here.

[​IMG]

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Hands down "The Bride Of Frankenstein". In every aspect, it's nearly a perfect, 5 star, film.

efraley, JimC, jsayers and 5 others like this.
  3. GuildX700

A wonderful film for sure! The bride's reaction to him is classic!

4. GuildX700

Decided to watch another, The Mummy on blu ray is up next!

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

By far the best. Always liked the Mummy too.

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

It's a brilliant film. Not a shot, line or idea is wasted. In the top 10 best horror films ever, IMO.

SandAndGlass and GuildX700 like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So many great ones. The very first horror film I ever saw, when I was about 7 or 8, was Ghost of Frankenstein. It's a terrible film, but it made me aware of the idea of horror and science-fiction and scary stuff, and I guess in a way it changed my life. Wonderful movie in a weird way. But Bride is 100 times better as a film.

I also like all the Mummy movies, and I think The Mummy's Hand -- which sets up all the sequels that followed (Tomb, Ghost, and Curse) -- was really good. Never liked Dracula or the Wolfman as much, though those films are unquestionably classics. Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is probably my favorite Dracula movie, maybe because you can see Lugosi having fun.

Two great Karloff films that are not technically Universal films but Columbia films made in this same period are The Man They Could Not Hang and The Black Room, both really, really good B-movies that hold up well as mysteries and as a kind of horror film. Those were frequently shown as part of the Shock Theater package on TV in the 1960s, and I kind of lump them in with the Universal films.

Rufus McDufus and GuildX700 like this.
  8. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

It's either ''Dracula'' or ''The Invisible Man.

Captain Groovy and GuildX700 like this.
  9. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Son of Frankenstein would be high up on my list. The set design on some of these Universal horror flicks is pretty impressive.

Damiano54, Vidiot and GuildX700 like this.
  10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Oh jeez. Bride of Frankenstein for #1, but Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolfman, in particular, they're all stone classics.

The recent HD transfers blew me away, by the way; I was skeptical about seeing them "too clean" as the rough aged condition they were long seen in was thought to add to their mystique but noo, they did a lovely job of it and they were more involving than ever for it. Dracula in particular.

For anyone just coming into this stuff but wanting to see Bela Legosi in a different role at around the same time as Dracula, check out the Charlie Chan movie, The Black Camel. :)

Vidiot and GuildX700 like this.
  11. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Bride of Frankenstein.
    I class everything pre 70's as SCI-FI though.

GuildX700 likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I watched the films, Saturday night, 10:30pm, Chicago's WGN, Creature Features
    I built the Aurora models, with the glow in the dark pieces
    I read every issue of Famous Monsters Of Filmland
    My favorite ? Impossible for me to choose.

SandAndGlass and GuildX700 like this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Dracula. Lugosi's performance is one the all time greats. Now I want to have a monster movie marathon.

SandAndGlass, JimC and GuildX700 like this.
  14. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

"Bride of Frankenstein" is one of the greatest films ever.. I also like 1939 "Tower of London" with Basil Rathbone as Richard III, Vincent Price as George, Duke of Clarence and Boris Karloff as Mord the Executioner.

Vidiot and GuildX700 like this.
  15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The Bride of Frankenstein and The Black Cat.

16. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I also grew up on these--along with F"amous Monsters of Filmland"--and love everyone of them.
    As others have said, The Bride of Frankenstein is near perfect.
    The others have some brilliant components: acting, cinematography, that wonderful dark humor, set design, etc., and they're loads of fun, but don't stand up nearly as well.
    That said, there are some amazing bits in them all: The Mummy (Karl Freund!), Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter...

efraley and GuildX700 like this.
  17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Creature From The Black Lagoon because it was the only one that had underwater footage. It and Sea Hunt led me to become a Dive Instructor'

As a genre, Dracula/Vampires. Always dressed well and had nice looking women.

SBurke and GuildX700 like this.
  18. GuildX700

I've always loved the underwater scenes in the Creature. Built the model of him when I was a little kid.

19. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

The Mummy but the original Wolfman as a monster always scared me most as a kid. I didn't need to see the whole thing on tv to shiver at the thought of him.

JimC and GuildX700 like this.
  20. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I did as well. Even had some paint that would glow if it had some light on it for awhile.

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. GuildX700

Only the second time for me watching the Mummy on Blu Ray last night.

This time I was just enjoying the experience and not hung up on analyzing the blu ray edition. Lovey, moving, chilling, what a wonderful movie.

"he, he, he, he went for a little walk"!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/517365/Mummy-The-Movie-Clip-He-Went-For-A-Little-Walk.html

This may start a trend, lots to watch, I haven't really visited this stuff since Halloween last year.

Tonight lined up to spin is the blu ray of Phantom of the Opera w/ Claude Rains, one of my favs and color too. Second viewing of the blu ray for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  22. GuildX700

So well put!

Do you happen to know how wide Shock Theater was on the air as far as coverage, national? We had it here in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

23. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Actually, Sir Graves Ghastly was the biggest horror influence on my youth. When I was a little kid in Ontario, we used to get the TV transmission from Detroit - I used to love his Saturday afternoon presentations. Wonderful!

[​IMG]

ArpMoog and GuildX700 like this.
  24. GuildX700

We had DR. Cadaverino here, unfortunately I've not see any footage online other than this opener bit.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love them all! but, The Invisible Man stands out for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.