What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A good song just became better for me!

Halfway through the song it was time for Dave's guitar solo. This moment had to be right. So I shouted across the studio to Dave, give him encouragement. But I seemed to spoil his concentration. He looked at me with a dazed expression. '**** off.' If you doubt me, if you doubt what I'm saying, I challenge you to listen to the original Kinks recording of 'You Really Got Me'. Halfway through the song, after the second chorus, before the guitar solo, there's a drum break. Boo ka, boo boo ka, boo ka, boo boo. And in the background you can hear '**** off'. You can, you can. When I did the vocal I tried to cover it up by going 'Oh no', but in the background you still hear it '**** off'. And it's even clearer on CD, it's really embarrassing.

2. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

I wonder if it´s true though. :rolleyes: Can´t find it on the internet.

3. Watcher of the Pies

Watcher of the Pies New Member

D'OH!

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

That's a useful enough purpose for me! :D

5. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Jethro Tull winning the grammy for best hard rock group.

MikaelaArsenault and Holy Diver like this.
  6. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Mal Evans, whose life is inextricably connected to the Beatles, was shot and killed by Los Angeles police early in 1976. He was depressed, things in his personal and professional life had spiraled down and out of control, police were called to his apartment in LA where he confronted them with what they assumed to be a rifle. Poor Mal lost that confrontation.

CMcGeek likes this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You left out the part about how, when getting his ashes shipped back to his family in England, the ashes got lost in the mail and Harry Nilsson had to have them tracked down to the dead letter office.

John Lennon apparently had a good laugh when Harry told him what happened.

At the time of his death -essentially "suicide by cop"- Mal was in negotiations to have a book published based on the extensive diaries he'd kept during his Beatles days.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What is the only song to hit the Billboard top 10 in three different decades by three different artists? (At least the only one I know of)

Clue: the lyrics of the song were changed significantly for the second version, released in 1981.

The answer coming up, after the break.

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My guess would be "Tainted Love" (Gloria Jones / Soft Cell / Marilyn Manson)

bagofsoup and Larry Mc like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Casey Kasem: Now for the answer to our trivia question. That's a good guess, Bill, but as great as Gloria Jones' version is, it never charted in the US. The answer is " Sukiyaki"

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Another Top 10 hit in three different decades by three different artists - and two of them hit #1 - was "The Loco-Motion":

Little Eva (#1, 1962)
    Grand Funk (#1, 1974)
    Kylie Minogue (#3, 1988)

pablo fanques, Binni, CMcGeek and 4 others like this.
  12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I knew about "The Locomotion", but I didn't think of "Sukiyaki" (I didn't know the 4 P.M. version had been a Top 10 hit). Well spotted. :righton:

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My favorite metal band. ;)

Colinjpush, Mark Snowden and Runicen like this.
  14. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Speaking of trivia questions and threes, what is the only band to have one top ten hit each in the sixties, seventies and eighties? (US Hot 100)

Andy Tain likes this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think I know this one. The Moody Blues: "Go Now" in the 60s, "Nights In White Satin" belatedly in 1972, and "Your Wildest Dreams" in 1986.

16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Correct! Should've known that one wouldn't take long!

Thom likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's a good one. What these examples show is that a great song can transcend genres and languages.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Stones?

19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

How is that trivia?

Trivia: Many metal fans don't know the difference between metal and hard rock.

andrewskyDE and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There's a strange 'Paul Is Dead' site/person/troll know as IAMAPHONY.
    I think 'he' alludes to this mysterious book, as his 'holy grail' for all his 'crazy videos' on the 'truth' about the 'Paul Is Dead' stuff.

21. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

Met a guy at a Sprinsteen concert who said Iggy was his class president.

22. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Elton John had at least one song in the U.S. top 40 every year for 30 consecutive years (1970 through 1999). This includes a couple years where his only Top 40 hit carried over from the previous year, but regardless, that's an incredible record of chart popularity over a long period.

23. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing! Very unusual person who has created a number of highly professional looking videos (often manipulated) to 'prove' Paul's death. The emphasis soon turns to Paul's involvement as a satanist - which Mal's diaries most certainly, absolutely, 100%, ain't no doubt about it, would have proved! Or not.

vince likes this.
  24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

One more chart nugget: Three Dog Night placed 21 singles in a row (from "Try a Little Tenderness" to "'Til the World Ends") in Billboard's top 40. None of the 21 records charted lower than #33.

Besides the fact that they're live albums that went to #1 in Billboard, what other distinctive characteristic is shared by Stevie Wonder's The 12-Year-Old Genius and the Blues Brothers' Briefcase Full of Blues?

michanes likes this.
  25. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

Which legendary Scottish Footballer name featured on a US billboard number one hit?