What's your favourite Blues record today??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Blodwyn Pig,
    "Ahead Rings Out"

Strange title for an album.
    Great album. The 2018 Chrysalis label CD reissue I bought in the wild about a week back is what I'm enjoying at the moment.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Otis Span - ‘Good Morning ,Mr Blues’

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Bessie Smith Disk 2 of box. Great stuff...

4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Got Bobby Blue Blands 1982 effort Here We Go Again spinning...

When I bought this new in 82 I was shocked at how damn good it was...

After the somewhat disco attempt at a contemporary hit with the title song BB & his band & orchestra get down to some real upper tier Urban blues...

The arrangements & production are stunning...

The records sound is reminiscent of Rays Modern Sounds....& Bobbys voice was still in great shape

The band blows all the way throughout with really tasty guitar licks thrown to boot...

This record sounds more like Two Steps to the Blues than anything BB had done in years (& that record was a compilation)

A must for any Bobby Bland or Blues collection

Note: Then the following year BBKing released There Must Be A Better World Somewhere (whew) what a great 2 yrs for us Blues-niks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Greenalishi and monte4 like this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Bessie is my favorite vocalist over anybody else..

Muddy Waters is #2 & his fav vocalist was Bessie Smith...

Great music indeed

Slack Babbath, Greenalishi and SG47 like this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Henry Butler - Blues After Sunset

7. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Howlin Wolf- the Chess Box :agree:

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

David Johansen and the Harry Smiths. He’s a very effective blues singer. The Harry Smith project really changed my opinion about him.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  9. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Someone get me this 45 quick!

10. Slack Babbath

Otis Rush - ‘ Double Trouble’

(Also love John Mayall’s take on the song)

11. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

All I got are three live BB King albums and The Best of Lightnin' Hopkins

12. Slack Babbath

The first time I heard the blues was upstairs at The Dewdrop Inn , New Cross,London -mid 80’s . Me and some friends were invited upstairs by the landlord and he played us loads of blues records. Big Bill Broonzy was the one that stood out for me and the next day I went out the next day and bought a CBS compilation. This was/and still is one of my fave blues songs . Great times.

Big Bill Broonzy - Truckin Little Woman

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I had no idea they were a blues band. I'd assumed from their name they were a British folk band.

Crimson Witch and Greenalishi like this.
  14. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Luther Allison - Where Have You Been: Live in Montreux 1976-1994

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Crimson Witch

Well, their music is actually a hybrid of progressive-blues, hard jazz-rock, and art-rock - they are generally classified as a British blues-rock band, primarily blues-based, though what they did was rather unique.

Greenalishi and MarkTWIC like this.
  16. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I had a listen to a bit of the album you mentioned - "Ahead Rings Out" - and was pleasantly surprised, so thanks.

Greenalishi and Crimson Witch like this.
  17. Crimson Witch

cheers!:cheers:
    ..yeah, their second one is pretty cool too.
    Iv'e been meaning to get around to checking out some of Mick Abrahams' solo works but somehow still have not managed to do so .. a rather puzzling fact upon reflection considering I've been a BP fan for quite some time now. I suppose my decidedly subconscious reluctance may be due to a vague trepidation toward possible disenchantment.
    Having released only two albums back in the day, (they reformed in '93, which I also have not heard) they are one of the few bands from that time of whom I can say I enthusiastically love everything that they cut to wax, (back then).

18. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

"If you wanna wear your beard, wear your beard!...if you girls wanna wear your dresses short, go on 'n wear your dresses short--I'll appreciate 'em don't nobody else will."--Howlin' Wolf in the eponymous track to his 1971 album, Message To The Young.

Hard to find, but totally worth it, especially for down and dirty numbers like "Miss James," or "Romance Without Finance." Much better than his Super Super Blues Band LP, or his godawful This Is Howlin' Wolf's New Album. He Doesn't Like It. He Didn't Like His Electric Guitar At First Either album.

"She well put together. Like a fine piece of leather!" :cool:

-siyt

19. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I liked a band called the Dandy Warhols, it's not important if you like them or not, but for some completely unaccountable reason I didn't buy their first album for ages. I'd discovered them via their second album yet it took me well over a year before buying and immediately loving the first. I simply can't explain it.

Anyhow that was back in the 1990s. Isn't it what "YouTube" and the track samples on Amazon are for? Avoiding really terrible mistakes?

[One of his recent albums - Hoochie Coochie Man is free with my Amazon Prime account! and his 1971 album at the very least is on YouTube - the first track is not bad at all]

20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Mean Mistreater - the Howlin’ Wolf, ladies and gents - from Live at Alice’s Revisited, with the great Hubert Sumlin on guitar and the venerable Sunnyland Slim on piano.

21. Crimson Witch

Indeed, and I use them both. In my case, (with Blodwyn Pig) it isn't that I fear I will buy something I don't like, that's not an issue, but rather I (perhaps) am anxious about potentially having my sublime perception of the band tarnished in some way. A bit maladjusted I suppose ! :crazy::laugh:

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

That might have been part of my problem too. You could just have a little sneak peek though. A couple of 30 second samples probably won't kill you. :)

23. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

This one looks like a newer compilation. What's the sound quality like on this set? Specifically wondering if it's got some good dynamic range, or if it's been over-compressed. :)

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Where do people go to look for new Blues CDs?

I have plenty of Sonny Boy Williamson and Howlin' Wolf but like to keep my eye out in case there's something new. Amazon just produces a huge messy list if you do a search.

Are the Chess and Checker labels still going? I can't find a website for them for instance.

25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Bluebeat Music :

GerryO, jomo48, jhm and 2 others like this.