What's your favourite Blues record today??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

2. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Today's and a few other's recently...

[​IMG]

3. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

I’ve been playing Johnny Winter’s Second Coming a lot recently. A truly great lp.

Here’s a superb live version of ‘Highway 61’ from a festival in Denmark in 1984.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Been listening to my Hezeikiah and the Housrockers cd a lot lately. Excellent music and groove. Not sure when i got it or how i heard of 'em or anything, lost in time how i got this cd. Just great music.

blutiga, Slack Babbath and monte4 like this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Greetings all...

Its Friday evening and time for me to post another blues LP...

Tonight its Savoy Browns 2017 album "Witchy Feelin" & yet again Kim Simmonds ever changing group of musicians delivered the goods on WF...

I have been a fan since the 60s but the 00s - 2O17 might be the bands best run of great blues n boogie ever...

1970 saw SB transform from a blues band to a blues n boogie outfit & have a substantial run from 1970-1975...

SB music has always revolved around founding member Kim Simmonds fiery English electricity & 50+ yrs later nothing has changed except KS handles vocals now as well....

When Johnny Winter & Clapton turned to heroin & Clapton also chose adultery neither artists would be consistently great again although JW stayed close to his roots and released some fine blues albums while EC has had a few glimpses of brilliance since 1970 & Green ingested one too many sugar cubes and took a spritual journey he has never came back from....meanwhile SB changed format and kept on rocking...

In the early 1970s there were 2 premo blues n boogie bands SB & ABB but when Duane Allman splattered his brains all over a semi full of peaches it took the guts out of the ABB...

Leaving Kim Simmonds Savoy Brown at the top of the heap....

SB has stumbled along the way but always managed to come back swinging...

For example after a decade of desultory albums 1978-1986 they delivered the goods with "Make Me Sweat"...while all their contemporaries were going ugh tech-no or unplugged SB was gettin it on circa 1970-1972....

The 80s also saw the release of 2 fine albums on Relix Records " Live In Central Park 1972 & Slow Train...

They slipped again in the 1990s with live & best of comps but finally in 2003 they released Strange Dreams and have been on track ever since..

And Witchy Feelin is the best of the current run...

This is the best swamp blues n boogie this side of John Lee Hooker & on par with the best Tony Joe White & CCR...

From the crushing opener Why Did You Hoodoo Me ? to the majestic neo-psychedelia wah-wah infused Thunder Lightnin & Rain this is SB at their boogie n blues best...

From the groovy art work to the music inside this is classic SB...

Anybody who loves Elmore James screaming slide guitar or early ABB & ZZTop and on a lesser degree Foghat & SRV should head here pronto...

I am pushing 68 yrs old now but as long as SB keep pumpin out the goods like this I'll never grow old...

Like the title of their compilation Blues Balls & Boogie when it comes to SB they are still the best out there

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  6. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

One of my favorites,the late Smokey Wilson from L.A. with Rod Piazza and the Flyers with Hollywood Fats on rhythm guitar.Smokey such a great singer and some smokin guitar to..
    [​IMG]

7. Slack Babbath

It’s Raw but it’s Righteous !
    Just picked up a mint used vinyl copy of The Legendary Reverend Gary Davis . New Blues And Gospel today .

Get ready to testify !

‘How Happy I Am’

8. Slack Babbath

Nice to hear some Trombone in there !

blutiga and Greenalishi like this.
  9. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Love the title track and a great album
    [​IMG]

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Lightnin’ Hopkins All That Jazz - interesting to hear a couple of cuts with horns

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I hope this becomes a favorite (if it ever gets to my house). It's a Hong Kong Hybrid SACD (Made In Germany) on Music Master of alternate takes from Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" called "Folk Singer - Off The Record". Basically, it's a companion disc of alternates. Apparently a German company made a disc of "Folk Singer" some time back and must've kept their tapes as we now have this new release. I've read one favorable review so far (on another thread here dedicated to Hong Kong SACDs). I have a copy on the way, but standard shipping from Hong Kong isn't super fast. I'd love to hear other comments. Has anyone frequenting this thread heard it yet? I love the record so much I had to have this new one as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Wow! Super cool. I'd love to get alternates of that stuff. I don't have it anymore. Was a cassette i owned. Gonna put that on the list. Thanks!

jhm likes this.
  13. 2414Studios

2414Studios Well-Known Member

Muddy Waters - Hard Again (1977)

[​IMG]

Has been and always will be

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You can't go wrong (IMO) with the 2011 Analog Productions Hybrid SACD mastered by Kevin Grey. It sounds spectacular on my system. The Hong Kong "Off The Record" disc seems to only be available from HK sellers on eBay or directly from Hong Kong record shops online (that's where I ordered mine). I have a feeling this disc from Music Master will wind up being a bit of a rarity (I'm surprised it came out at all to be honest).

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Reid Smith

The Mobile Fidelity release also had bonus tracks as have a few other CD issues of this recording.But none of those bonus tracks have been from the actual Folk Singer sessions,used to just add a bit more time and to get more for your money.Many have different bonus tracks to.
    I would be very surprised if this release is any different,so i guess you can tell us for sure when it arrives ;) it would be cool if they were from the sessions.
    I have a German release of this from 1994 on CD,it sounds great.

The original album was released as an LP in April 1964 by Chess Records,recorded in 1963.[5 Since then, numerous record labels have released different versions on CD, with different bonus tracks from Waters's 1964 sessions. One of the first CD versions was released in 1993 by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, containing two bonus tracks, "You Can't Lose What You Never Had" and "The Same Thing."[8] The 1999 remastered version contains five bonus tracks, "The Same Thing", "You Can't Lose What You Never Had", "My John the Conqueror Root", "Short Dress Woman" and "Put Me In Your Lay Away".[9]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    jhm likes this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'll let everyone know for sure. It would be amazing if the bonus tracks of Still A Fool and Young Fashioned Ways were true outtakes from the '63 sessions at Ter Mar :righton:.

Reid Smith likes this.
  17. Reid Smith

Early Johnny Guitar Watson on 2 disc of some smokin blues on a Telecaster,some of the alternate takes are better than the released versions.As usual great sound on the P-Vine label from Japan.
    [​IMG]

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The Big Bad Blues - Billy F Gibbons
    [​IMG]

20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Greetings again fellow Blues-niks...

Today is Friday Sept.28 & time for my weekly Blues LP post...

John Mayalls Bluesbreakers - Wake Up Call (1993)...

WUC is one of JMB best records ever...

I have been a fan of Mayalls since the 60s & been to many concerts but in late 80s- early 90s the band was firing on all 8 cylinders both live & in the studio...

Beggining with 1988s Chicago Line then in 1990 with A Sense Of Place & finally WUC Mayall & his BB put together a triplet of hard blues rock LPs not seen since his 1960s yrs....

As always Mayalls blues outfit must include a great axemen educated not only in the blues but rock as well & Coco Montoya's searing leads along with guests Buddy Guy , Albert Collins , Mick Taylor & vocalist Mavis Staples place WUC as the high point of the 3 aforementioned LPs...

The band is tight and grooves when it needs to & rocknboogies at the drop of a hat & Mayalls distinctive harp playing is well...very good at best...

Also placing WUC in the top 5 of Mayalls greatest rocking blues albums....

Anyone who thinks SRV was sole king of the 1980s blues revival should head to Chicago Line , A Sense Of Place & Wake Up Call toot sweet....

JM isn't known as The Father Of British Blues for nil & on these albums he proved it once again

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    monte4 likes this.
  21. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I agree that SRV wasn't the only person at the front of the 1980s blues revival but I would place many others well in front of John Mayall.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Howlin' Wolf - London Sessions cut by Kevin Gray.

23. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

A couple of recent purchases from a local used CD fair:

Lonnie Brooks - Hot Shot

[​IMG]

Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard: The Duke Meets the Earl

[​IMG]

24. Reid Smith

As many of us blues fans have been doing for the last few days,listening to one of the greats.This is one of my favorite songs from Otis from one of my favorite records by him.You just can't go wrong with Otis and the great Muscle Shoals musicians.Still have my original copy i got back in 1969 and been lovin it since then.I could put this on repeat all day and be happy.
    Produced by Mike Bloomfield and Nick Gravenites,who also wrote many of the great songs on it.
    If you don't have any Otis Rush..you should!
    RIP Otis

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    mwheelerk, Slack Babbath, jhm and 2 others like this.
  25. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

John Campbell - Howlin' Mercy. A deep dark Bluesman; who checked out way too early.

Also if you're of the mind give One Believer a play as well.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018