What's your go to: Vinyl, Reel to Reel, CD, Download or Streaming your music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bingo Bongo, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Got it. I don't use iTunes. I still have all of my CD's. I would feel funny selling them if I was to keep the music. Maybe someday I'll feel different about this.

Kyhl likes this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms Thread Starter

I dont understand why? You paid for those CDs, right? Have you ever recorded a movie from your TV on VHS? Have you ever copied your Records to Cassette, to play in your car ???:shrug:

But that's a whole different conversation isn't it..... :kilroy:

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes and when I paid for them I have the right to play them. If I sell them I feel like I know longer do. I know we don't all agree on this but since you asked, that's how I feel.

I had no problem making copies to play in the car, but I no longer do that as I have hard drives in the cars full of my music. I've also recorded movies, but I've never sold them.

One time I did run into a weird problem with video tapes. Back in 2002 when reading the local Tustin paper, a columnist said that she had gone to the World Series game 7 and recorded the game but something went wrong with her recording. She asked if anybody had a copy that they could send to her.

I had one, so I decided what the heck, I'll make her a copy. The next week she mentioned me in her column and of course thanked me for helping her out. She even included my phone number and gave me a plug. Later that day I actually got a call from Mike Scoscia, who was the manger of the Angels. Apparently he lived in our town and read her column. He called to tell me that what I did was illegal and to be careful. I could barely believe it was him.

Of course I told him that she had recorded it herself but had problems with her VCR, so I was just doing a service for her, and not selling product. He said he understood, but it was still wrong. He didn't threaten me or anything like that, but just wanted to let me know that what I was doing was wrong.

I don't know if I agreed with him, and I've been hired before to record broadcasts for clients. One of my celebrity clients use to have me record football games for him as he was often out of the country. As soon as they were done, a courier appeared at my door to pick them up so he could watch them the next morning.

I must have done this 50 times, but was not selling them. I was being paid for my time, but the way I looked at is it was as if I went to the client's house and recorded them for him with his gear, which of course I had set up for him. Of course that would have been legal. I never had any issues with these because nobody other than me and my client knew about it. Well until now that is. :)

Kyhl, Tlay, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  4. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Vinyl, I can't remember the last time I played a CD.

5. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

1) Vinyl
    2) FM
    3) tie between iPod and Cd

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  6. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Streaming, but the Internet is never involved. I'm streaming from my own in-house server. Carefully ripping my CD's, LP's and arranging my hirez downloads.

7. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Probably use my I-pod the most,CD would be next,then vinyl.
    If I more time it would be a draw between vinyl and CD.

cat9 likes this.
  8. Rat44

Rat44 Forum Resident

A Teac X-1000 gives me the most enjoyable listening experience.
    Although SACD comes in a close second.

9. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Although I cast my vote for vinyl (I was a teenager in the 70's after all) I go to whatever format has the music I want to listen to at a particular time. As often as not its vinyl but almost as frequently it's streamed FLAC from the server.

10. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Cee dee is my formula numero uno. Easy to play and collect. Vinyl does cost too much and there is always the hustle to work with. I’m a lazy guy and I don’t want to deal with the woodoo … ;)

c-eling likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms Thread Starter

I see..... :shh:

Ha-ha, it is a touchy subject.:D

12. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I wasn't sure how to answer this but I chose streaming. I do stream Pandora and Deezer but I also purchase CDs, copy them onto a NAS drive and then stream from there.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

CD/SACD, and once in a blue moon, vinyl. Spotify if I'm out and about.

14. Mr Physical Format

Mr Physical Format Member

I casted my vote & at this stage Vinyl is in front so far.

I own Vinyl & CD

My turntables are well set up & with a good pressing & recordong sounds better than Cd

However I voted Cd Why?

Its clean sound , fuss free , stress free , ease of use makes it the format for me.
    Personally I am disappointed that a lot of people nowadays want to criticise the format. Ten/Fifteen years ago everyone was loving it? Lets be honest if you went to a hifi exhibition in London 2001 to 2003 they were hardly featuring lps . There was actually lot of home cinema?

There seems to be trend today to sell headphone amps at £2000 up ? Personally I dont get it at 2k people should be able to obtain a very good pre/power or brilliant intergrated with a headphone output thrown in.

Anyway its just an opinion. Thanks.

F1nut likes this.
  15. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Vinyl 95%
    Files from hard drive via Squeezebox 5%
    CDs .0000005%

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Lp's--->Digital--->SBTouch
    Compact Discs/Etc...--->Onkyo DV-SP800
    About 50/50

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

CD/SACD/DVD Audio for the most part. LPs once in a while :cheers:

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Whatever which is closest to my hand gets played, it can be SACD, CD, R to R, DVD-A, 8-track, LP, or MD.

19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Most of the time I import my CDs using eac. I convert them to flac for my tablet and fiio player, ALAC for my iPhone, and MP3 for another player I only use when I work out. I seldom listen to the CDs themselves but I still keep them.

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although my preference is CD, in recent years I've taken to using downloads for purchasing music (mostly from Amazon.com). As far as listening goes, I listen to the following:
    • FLAC Rips
    • Downloads
    What has moved me to downloads is the lack of convenient good old-fashioned CD stores, where I can browse for a while and discover a gem. Now, I do the same thing via a combination of YouTube and on-line browsing.

21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

CD for me.

22. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Hard to pick one but recently started Streaming Tidal no more room for physical media so with the money saved from Streaming Tidal I can spend it on other hobbies. I still think for serious listening sessions it's Vinyl or SACD's for me.

23. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

1. SACD
    2. CD
    3. Vinyl
    4. Lossless Rips (FLAC. AIFF)
    5. Pandora Stream, YouTube

Can honestly say I listen to the first four choices almost equally, enjoy all of them! :whistle:

24. 80talisten

80talisten Forum Resident

Vinyl when I'm home for relaxing when I have time for it and FLAC-files in my smartphone.

25. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

95% CD's for me. The only vinyl I still own and listen to hasn't been issued on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.