What's your latest vinyl purchase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wired4Fun, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

The Jared James Nichols LP 'Black Magic' on white vinyl (purchased and signed at a recent gig in Newcastle).

[​IMG]

Ivand likes this.
  2. foam55

foam55 Well-Known Member

Picked up a near mint copy of The Manfred Mann Album based on comments in this forum. It is so good--like hearing early Stones for the first time! That copy was a bargain at $5,95 at a local record store. Hope to find more by MM--those few folks who have commented on their albums here are very enthusiastic about them.

Gumboo, Floyd Crazy and Livewire91 like this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yesterday, two of my four (first time) Discog purchases arrived from Oregon and Florida. They got here in one piece and look to be in fine fettle. I have to say it's weird seeing an album from 1969 with a pristine cover still in its shrink (but not sealed).

I'm expecting both KT Tunstall and DC Star to arrive today and/or tomorrow.

Addendum: I noticed an odd thing regarding the A Group Called Smith LP: it has a rough--almost toothy--edge its entire circumference. I've never seen a record like this before. It was obviously manufactured this way. Strange.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    A6mzero and Floyd Crazy like this.
  4. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Wild Connections uk Acrobat Records
    (Acro-2) by Jack Lancaster Rick Van Der Linden,in n mint condition from Amazon Germany,update when it arrives.

dubious title likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

Sealed 1985 copy.

DPM and Floyd Crazy like this.
  6. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

[​IMG]

Erik B. likes this.
  7. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

Kenny Dorham
    Original deep groove
    Riverside.

Today

8. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Still on a Sonic Youth bender, so:
    Thurston Moore - The Best Day

And because I realised I've never actually owned my own copy (shared a few!):

Jimi Hendrix - Cry Of Love (BG analogue)

Erik B. likes this.
  9. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Beatles “20 Greatest Hits” for a whole £5

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How does your's sound? I just picked up a clean early US pressing. It sounds mostly muddy and compressed dynamically. Not a lot of lower end presence, either, for the most part.

Side 2 sounds a bit more alive.

11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

One of my favorite record shops here in L.A. is in my little town of Burbank, Atomic Records. I love the store because 90% of the records they stock are in VG+ to NM condition. Hadn't been in a while when I popped in yesterday, left with absolute perfect copies of Petty's Hard Promises, complete with a minty fold-out insert, and an equally glossy, like new even, Def Leppard Pyromania. Wasn't on my wish-list but it was the Mercury Skyscraper label, and in such pristine condition I couldn't pass it up. Only reason I checked it out was because of how perfect the jacket was when I came across it flipping through the Ds. Oh, also picked up Billy Joel 52nd Street.

Only had a small window of time to listen, so I played a bit of Hard Promises. Sounds pretty great. I'm looking forward to an a-b with a few digital sources I have.

maui jim likes this.
  12. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Egypt Station - Paul McCartney. One of the versions.

Stan94 likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Like it a lot. Sounds good. I was considering playing it again today.

By chance you quoted my post on the very day another ebay purchase arrived today. I now finally have all the 1970-74 era on vinyl. I can't tell you how many times i went into my local record shop through the 90's and picked up the Penguin cd and then put it back down again. Countless times. Always thought of this as the weak Mac album, noted that Future Games is a top 5 Mac album for me, I can't understand why I passed up on this for so long. Heard it a few times recently and decided to finally invest. Bright Fire is a gem. Lovely gatefold, US pressing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  14. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

A somewhat minor coup in the scheme of things but I picked up a vinyl 45rpm of "Double Barrel" by David & Ansil Collins in near mint condition
    solely for the instrumental version of the song on the B side.

AlmostHeavenWV and uzn007 like this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well Future Games is a gem.

My early UK Future Games sounds better than my US one. I'm wondering if a UK of Heroes Are Hard To Find might sound better than the early US I picked up?

Almost Simon likes this.
  16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Bruce Dickenson-The Chemical Wedding-I always liked this one since a friend played the cd for me when it came out.I put off getting this on vinyl until recently when I seen it in a clearence bin.It sounds better than the cd with more depth to the instruments,the pressing is nice and quiet without defects.

17. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

AnalogJ
    95% of the U.K. Records sounds better then the USA

IMO

18. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Beatles - Let Be.... Naked

19. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Yesterday, I found a UK copy of Emitt Rhodes' 'Mirror,' in Sound Bar, Skipton, Yorkshire. Some surface noise at the start of Side 1, but otherwise excellent. The reason it was only £5 is because there's some damage to the back of the outer sleeve, but not in an area where there's anything printed. First record store I've been in that also has a licensed bar.

Today I was in Blackpool. Not a very salubrious town, but at least there are lots of charity and junk shops. I wandered round one, The Regent Antiques Centre, in a restored 1920s cinema, and found 3 Lew Stone compilation LPs, two of them doubles. £5 for all three.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

It's going to be Waiting For The Sun - 50th Anniversary this Friday (tomorrow).

john lennonist likes this.
  21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I found a sealed copy of this the other day. From all appearances, it looks like an original or at least very early pressing. I'll probably open it up this weekend. I've never even seen a used copy of this on vinyl in all my years going to record shows and thrift stores.

[​IMG]

22. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Checked out a new record store that just opened:
    Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain (Mono, 2 eye)
    Meters - Second Line Strut (Charly comp)
    Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees (1st US Press)

all for $30

john lennonist, uzn007 and c-eling like this.
  23. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

The missus surprised me yesterday with a sealed copy of this 1975 gem.

[​IMG]

Subvet likes this.
  24. Floyd Crazy

Tangerine Dream rubycon UK Virgin V2025, n mint vinyl and sleeve,only £7.50p from local vintage vinyl store.
    Tangerine Dream Stratosfear OVED 70 UK
    Virgin Records, Townhouse mastering£7.50p,again n mint condition from same vinyl store from same old collectors collection of n mint TD albums, really pleased to find these classic albums.

rednedtugent and uzn007 like this.
  25. Floyd Crazy

Been to vinyl fair,Happy!
    Genesis Abacab uk 1st issue Charisma textured. (BPRG) sleeve,cover+inner n mint and vinyl n mint ,Townhouse mastering,£5,bargain.
    Genesis Three Sides Live double album gatefold sleeve Charisma UK first issue.
    (GE2002) mastered at Townhouse,vinyl
    n mint, £10 another great buy.
    Peter Gabriel So (PG5) Uk Virgin as new sleeve +inner and vinyl n mint,Townhouse mastering D Copperman,just £6,more to follow...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018