What's your latest vinyl purchase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wired4Fun, Jul 5, 2017.

1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

GTR - S/T quiex vinyl
    Yes - Fragile vinyl
    ELP - Tarkus vinyl
    Chicago Transit Authority 1-A stampers all four sides vinyl
    Joe Walsh - The Confessor vinyl
    The Police -Synchronicity quiex vinyl
    Supertramp - Crime Of The Century vinyl
    The Police - One World (Not Three) 12” single promotion copy B/W Too Much Information vinyl
    Chicago - IV live set with all the posters in box four LPs vinyl
    All VG LPs

Yes - Close To The Edge cd
    David Bowie “Heroes” cd

Great weekend

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    CBS 65780 and Joti Cover like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Bought Green Day's American Idiot on vinyl more than a week ago. 2 LP set, first pressing from 2004.

[​IMG]

3. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

How's the sound? I just received the half speed master of New Gold Dream and it sounds fantastic. I'm in continuous awe of the invention of the vinyl record as a means of storing recorded sound. If it weren't so impractical it would be my preferred mode of listening all the time. So now "they" have found a way to improve upon this with the half master routine, I was a bit skeptical thinking it was a way to get you to buy the same album again but the sound is noticeably improved. I'm glad I took the plunge.

4. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

VG LP pressings of:
    Elton John Honky Chateau (1973 UNI-93135)
    Janis Joplin GH (1973 repress)
    and
    Joplin in Concert
    from the dollar vinyl section...

DPM likes this.
  5. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I haven't given the LP a listen yet. I also own the old SACD, but that doesn't sound so good. Hopefully, this LP will give me good reason to ditch it.

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie :love:

Rickchick, hi_watt and OptimisticGoat like this.
  7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

A little off topic but my wife claims she saw a segment where Amazon will stop selling the CD format. With this in mind, does it seem possible that music will just be available in the digital format with the vinyl alternative or addition? I just can't imagine music being something only available in a non-physical format. Perhaps a kind of DAT format that keeps the analog form in a format that is easy to store, bring along?

8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I don’t see that happening anytime soon

I know Best Buy is suppose to stop selling them in July I heard

9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

There are many releases now that are only download or limited vinyl, especially the smaller artists and labels that mostly sell through bandcamp. In fact, I just got the new Lake Ruth Birds of America, which is a limited vinyl run of 500, no CD, just download... Birds of America, by Lake Ruth

10. Mayor Of Filey

Mayor Of Filey Forum Resident

Last thing I bought was Microshift by Hookworms. I've also pre-ordered the new Josh T Pearson record The Straight Hits.

11. Davey

Hmm, hadn't heard about that one, thanks for the heads up, the last one was pretty special, though definitely not made for everyone :)

12. Mayor Of Filey

Davey likes this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Obscure PNW 60s folk rock 45 with Donovan aspirations:

troggy likes this.
  14. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Spotlight On The Kinks (PRT Portugal pressing), 2-LP set for $3.

oldjollymon and Lightworker like this.
  15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

My latest vinyl:
    Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn MFSL Pressing on an Ebay auction.:)

16. Mayor Of Filey

Now checking out Liminanas - not heard of them but a mix of psych, shoegaze, garage and ye-ye - what's not to like. Cheers.

Davey likes this.
  17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

What choice would consumers have if music companies just decided that you're getting digital with vinyl or nothing? It's conceivable they'd make that wager. Can anyone think of any other format on the horizon? I'd be fine with a sort of mini DAT but then again, that's probably redundant with something on a USB. I like the CD format, I opt for vinyl when it's something I know I'll be taking the time to sit in the front room and listen to. I wasn't expecting the CD format to be in jeopardy but I guess I have no good reason to be surprised.

18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Dita Von Teese self titled (on pink vinyl).
    Joni Mitchell Hejira (Rhino reissue)
    Publuc Service Broadcasting The Race For Space

tinnox likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Dungen - 4
    Floating Points - Elaenia

20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I like this album as well--is the LP mastering any better than on Modern Kosmology?

21. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Curved Air - Second Album
    Curved Air - Air Cut
    Lucifer's Friend - S/T
    Three Man Army - Third of a Lifetime

rednedtugent likes this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Pink Floyd The Wall.....Kept getting beat on Ebay, so bit the bullet and bought one of the new 180g on Amazon... Haven't had it on vinyl since the 80s. A void is filled. I'm happy with the sound..

Nick Brook, drum_cas and CBS 65780 like this.
  23. G E

G E Senior Member

My aim is true e Costello. U.K. Porky pressing. Much improved over US wlp

Sticky fingers - stones. Allegedly VG++ vinyl/cover. 1971 pressing.

Three early to mid 50's repressings of Billie Holiday on white vinyl 3 disc set

The feeling of Jazz - Ellington

Storyville -Billie Holiday black lion org

Tenor conclave - mobley etc all analog productions

Only the EC is in house. Waiting for the postman.... waiting.... waiting....

24. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

I bought about 90 albums for cheap - mostly 70's-80's rock in really good shape (standards like Eagles, Dire Straits, Huey Lewis, Bob Seger, Stray Cats, etc) I added about 30 albums to my collection and 40 to be traded in. Sadly, a small chuck (20 or so) were water logged and moldy and are currently sitting in a garbage bag in my garage. I may try to salvage some of the albums and toss the artwork - most of it can be had for a few bucks.

25. Davey

They are both kind of flat, which I think is what we talked about for Modern Kosmolgy, the music just doesn't have that nice depth and spacial dimension that we love about good recordings. I feel The Silver Globe sounds a bit more spacious and the speakers disappear better, but it still doesn't have much depth. Still sounds more organized and fluid when compared to the digital, more relaxed sounding. I don't think either is bad, and The Silver Globe is a bit more dynamic and less congested, that's probably the main difference. I don't have any problem listening to either album on my system, but would love to have a bit more of that billowy depth that some albums have, and a more liquid analog sound, makes it a bit more fun, no question there. The Virginia Wing / XAM Duo record I talk a lot about from last year has some of that depth, and I can close my eyes and really get lost in it. Doesn't take much, just enough to let your mind take over and play some tricks. Fun stuff :)

NorthNY Mark likes this.