What´s your phono preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Retail pricing is $14.5K for the SE which incorporates 36 of the extremely expensive Vishay Z-foil resistors, plus 6 Jupiter Beeswax HT caps -- helping to justify the mark-up of the SE version verses non-SE (Retail $9.9K); plus $1.6K for the SE XLR/RCA toggle (assume balanced xmfr too) and stencling.

Best Sir,

Bob

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Bananas&blow and SamS like this.
  2. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Manley Chinook with vintage tubes

Bubbamike, tman53 and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've just picked up a MoFi StudioPhono to replace a Rega Fono Mini. In large part, if I'm being honest, because I own a fair number of 60s mono records and can't be arsed to faff about with my double Y cables.

bluemooze, HiFi Guy and patient_ot like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Translation? :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Love my Parks Audio Budgie...liked the previous Avid Pellar but was just a bit too detailed and not enough warmth for me..so back to the Budgie :)

Garthb likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Which ones?

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

This is obscure for you ? How about this : summing to mono by way of a double Y cable became so tiresome to me, I purchased a StudioPhono for its handy mono switch. Get me ?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    TheVinylAddict likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

Ahhh... yeah.... and why I asked!! :)

Thanks, the translation helped tremendously -- I actually kinda got it from the original, but wanted to make sure. I am sure you sit through a lot of American slang, so turnabout is fair play.

That was truly the first time I have heard "arsed to faff about". :) I could be alone.

plastico and Norco74 like this.
  9. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

Little Bear T10 with Voskhod 6N2P-EV driver tubes and a Reflector 6C4P-EV rectifier tube. It's a great little pure tube phono stage.

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Sony TAE-5450

11. TheVinylAddict

I have to admit, I had to Google that, but something told me it rang a bell.... then when I saw the pics it all came flooding back in. I used to own one of those for a short time back in the 70's!

Clearly you are running MM on that... no? Although with 1.5mV Sensitivity you could easily do HOMC, and even get away with LOMC in the 0.5mV or greater range, though no optimal.

That's a nice pre.

Jerry likes this.
  12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Yes, MM, a vintage (early 90's) Signet MR me cart. I'm switching over to a Shure 97HE cart soon. Possible Jico step up stylus.

The Sony looks like this:
    [​IMG]

JohnO, Maccamera, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

It wasn't very obvious. Having said that, no need to get a phono preamp with that switch when you can buy one from our own @xmas111 which allows for mono/stereo switching. And for cheap, too!

[​IMG]

It does mean an extra pair of cables, though.

14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

As always with language, some things are crystal to some, not so much to others. Such is life !
    While the mono switch was indeed the big draw for lazy me, the fact that it reportedly sounds good and allows for MC carts (which my previous phono stage did not) were also points in its favour.
    Additional benefit : the Rega stage occasionnally produced a slight, high pitched whistling sound that most likely came from my amp, the Mofi stage does not.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Theoretically, he could use a SUT and run an MC cart, if he wanted.

16. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Trying to decide between the Budgie and the Budgie Hybrid right now. My set up is kind of a hodgepodge of stuff right now so trying deciding between the two is giving me a headache, I keep going back and forth.

17. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Using the ART DJ PreII. Don't see any reason to spend more cash.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  18. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I use a vintage Yamaha integrated amp as a phono pre

19. TheVinylAddict

Why don't you see a need to spend more? Your setup? Or there is not any need to because it is a good as it gets?

Frost and SirMarc like this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Why not just get the Hybrid then? I assume you are looking at the hybrid for the added flexibility? In a year, you want even remember the extra $200, and if you are thinking of getting it due to the added flexibility, then that is never a bad thing!

I have to admit, I a still intrigued by the Budgie, and have to try one!

21. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Green Amperex Bugle Boy 7308's

22. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I'm worried about having too much gain for my system. I have a Jolida FX10 paired with an Ortofon Blue 2M and some Dali Zenor 1's. My system is somewhat of a mis-mash and I want to bring some cohesion to it. The owner Shannon suggested the Hybrid because as it stands now my system needs a 42 dB preamp, the Hybrid is 48 dB, while the normal Budgie is 38 dB. I'm currently using a Cambridge Azur 551p (39 dB) which seems sufficient enough for me. So I'm not sure if I should stick with what I know and purchase the lower gain amp; or go out on a limb and purchase the higher gain preamp. I thought about asking to try out both and see which one I like better but I really don't want to get into all of that. If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to listen to some advice.

23. TheVinylAddict

Makes sense, and it sounds like you are focusing on the right aspects on paper as part of your buy decision. But it also sounds like 38db is a little low, and 48db might be a little high. So you might be right, if you ever have a chance to audition and compare, that is always the best, especially in the audio world. What works on paper doesn't always deliver in real life as you know.

I have zero experience with the Budgie though. One thing about chocies based on current setup... you always end up changing a component, then the best laid plans.... if you catch my drift. That is why I want to personally get a stage with the most gain, loading options as possible because cartridges, components can change! Preamps with the least options or that lock you into one configuration aren't floating to the top of my list... by YMMV, and do what works best for you.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Are you sure? I've never heard of *Bugle Boy* 7308s.

25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Probably Amperex JAN's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.