What's your turntable sit on?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

what is between your turntable and the shelf?

2. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

My Sondek Lp12 sits on an Audio Tech wall shelf and my Avid Acutus sits on a thin bamboo board with Mana Acoustics reference shelf on top of a short Yamamoto wood rack (which also support additional gear). I have two short, three shelf, Yamamoto racks that are along a load bearing wall, that rest on 77 year old oak wood floors. To add to the two equipment racks stability, I have employed 18x24 granite tool surface check plates that weigh approx. 154 lbs each. And they seem to work remarkably well.

For a wood type shelf or isolation platform, I could not recommend more highly that you guys try out bamboo. It is about 18% stiffer than hard rock maple and has a real nice tone to whatever I have tried it with, amps, CDP, TT. I would also recommend using thinner thicknesses that store and transmit less low frequencies, perhaps 3/4 to 1". The affordability, sustainability (as it is not a wood but, a grass), and ease of purchasing for a ready sized and naturally finished bamboo support (often produced for cutting boards) , is in my mind, a no brainer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    missan likes this.
  3. Thanks for the feedback on the bamboo. I have some large bamboo cutting boards at the house and often wondered if they would make a good base for audio gear.

Dentdog likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had my TT sitting on a rather low-tone cabinet and had some rumble problems. Frankly, I thought it was the TT. So I bought one of those big ole Mapleshade stands. Rumble gone. I live in a high-rise so floor vibrations are non-existant. Mass will dampen p-waves. It will not help, and will probably hurt damping surface waves (seismic, wood floor footfall).

5. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Those little clear disk are something you would put under a bed frame
    wheel to protect the floor and keep the bed from rolling around..

6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Bamboo is very dense and seems to resist resonance very well. My OB speakers are made from 20mm zebrano bamboo - even at high volumes they feel virtually 'dead' to the touch

Sailfree and VinylRob like this.
  7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Adona stand, the towers of the TT are on Herbie's Feet (pucks). Much better than the wall mount I use to have, and safer.

[​IMG]
    sean

raferx and Sailfree like this.
  8. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Vibrapods and a nice piece of Blue Stone...

[​IMG]

Kristofa and Robert C like this.
  9. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

If you look under Salvation Turntable updates Vic gives you a pretty complete run through as to what you need to work with. They look like the could be placed under any tt. I haven't gotten them yet but fellow owners seem to like them quite a bit. Strong magnets for sure.

Gumboo likes this.
  10. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Oh, I see them now, I didn't scroll down the page far enough the first time.
    Thanks

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I dont see a price though

12. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Better pic showing Herbie's Audio pucks. Adona Stand that sits on cement floor, spikes are on the cement (good contact). In fact everything is on spikes down to the cement floor>

sean[​IMG]

BKphoto likes this.
  13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

14. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

Not sure but I think around $250.

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Rega wall mount...

[​IMG]

shutdown66, struttincool and Sailfree like this.
  17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I also have a Rega wall mount currently in storage.

18. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

That's cool, man, elegant and calm.

19. triple

triple Senior Member

This is the opposite to what I would expect, as I thought the thicker the shelf, the better (more vibration damping). Where does this information come from if I may ask?

20. triple

triple Senior Member

Speaking of bamboo, perhaps your LP12 would appreciate a bamboo plinth:
    http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/booplinth.htm

21. Thanks for the link triple! I will be trying out bamboo "shelves" for sure under some of my components. I have also been toying with a DIY Rega P25 based turntable project that will do away with the standard Rega "pressed wood" plinth. Bamboo may be just the ticket for that project also.

triple likes this.
  22. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

I have a Nottingham, so it sits on the included 'plinth' or platform, which is made of unknown stuff. That sits on a solid walnut rack. There may be 'better' solutions, but this sounds great and looks great. Some day I may try a Townshend Seque ISO or similar.

23. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Thanks jukes, the stereo rack was originally a work table. I used some veneer and other lumber to
    dress it up and install an extra shelf. The turntable shelf came later out of a need to isolate the turntable
    from floor vibrations.

jukes likes this.
  24. triple

triple Senior Member

Symposium Segue Iso?

25. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Ah yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.