When all else fails...scrubbing bubbles LP cleaning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pete74, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete74

Pete74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just tried this after a couple of spin clean sessions didn't do much good.

Bought a VG+ Monarch press of Layla on discogs that I honestly couldn't take the background noise on.
    Had a session with scrubbing bubbles (the kind that changes color from blue to white)... I let it sit on the records for about 2-3 mins per side. When it turned yellowish instead of white I knew it was going to be a decent result. Did a rinse under the tap and then a spin clean w/distilled water as usual, and they sound like the VG+ records I was expecting to get when I bought em!

Anyway, just thought I'd share the experience. I wouldn't do it unless all normal methods fail, but am super impressed this time around.

Aftermath, Manimal, Drifter and 5 others like this.
  2. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Interesting. Their product page specifically mention that it's also intended to use on vinyl, although I think their definition for vinyl is more targeted toward shower curtains.

3. Pete74

Oh I'm sure it is! And like I said, as a last resort when a person doesn't have a vac cleaner and maybe some mofi enzme cleaner available. It really worked well (for the kind of dirt that was embedded on this album anyway)

4. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

You know, I'm a little bit confused, I owned a huge record collection back in the 70's and 80's, and I keep seeing dirty record issues, what are yall doing serving pizza on them? Back in the day I would play a record, use a soft dusting cloth to wipe it off, and put it back in its jacket. How hard could it be?[​IMG]

5. Pete74

I hear ya... I don't understand it either. but judging by the yellowish color that the bubbles turned after a few minutes I'd guess it was owned by a VERY heavy smoker. Shrug.

That being said tho, we're collectors here. We care for our collections. I'm sure plenty of car buffs that would definitely disapprove of the filth on my subaru.

Lownote30, Drifter, Donniej and 4 others like this.
  6. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Life happened. In my case 40 years of keeping records, moving them from place to place and keeping them in various boxes. No matter how careful I was, they still got trashed.

7. Johnny Rocker

OIC! Yall collect old school records, I thought it was a "new album" thread, that indeed makes sense.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Sorry for being dull...but Scrubbing Bubbles the shower cleaner? Did you use the spray or the liquid?

9. Johnny Rocker

I think that stuff is harsh, try some automotive plastic polish,[​IMG] Always find a sacrificial lp, to test it on, then proceed with the resto.....:cool:

10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I would never use anything on my vinyls :hide: that had the word "scrubbing" in it. Jus' sayin'.

Len-ski and drivingfrog like this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I haven't used Scrubbing Bubbles for this purpose, glad it worked out. My experience is that this stuff is pretty harsh. It'll erode various caulking when used in the bathroom over time. I know there's differences in material there, but just would make me think twice.

12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I purposely avoid chemicals as a rule, but especially on something as precious as vinyl. I'll have to ask my wife, the resident essential oils guru, if there might be something natural that would be best suited.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Good rule - one I probably should start following sooner rather than later. This stuff is pungent and strong, even with gloves, goggles and mask. It certainly works on bathroom mildew and hard water stains, but really - at what price?

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

These repurposing-home-cleaning-products DIY discussions are pure comedy gold.

I would point out:

— If you're here, you've got internet access
    — If you've got internet you've got search
    — If you search for ""vinyl record cleaning products" you'll find many options, including cheap ones, for safe products designed by people well- versed in chemistry and materials science who understand how to clean records while protecting vinyl LPs and cartridges, and you'll find reviews to help you evaluate these products.
    — Through the miracle of internet shopping, you can cause these products to magically appear at your residence.

Crazy, isn't it?

:nauga:

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Seen this before, no thanks.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It shouldn't come as a surprise, that household cleaners were not intended for cleaning vinyl.

But, after a turn on the spin clean and the record is still noisy, I can appreciate that another more effective cleaning method is called for.

Whether Scrubbing Bubbles or the wood glue method, there is nothing lost when dealing with records that are otherwise, un-listenable to.

The OP's results were positive, as were stated.

Scrubbing Bubbles sounds like a good idea and it looks like a workable one.

I think having it applied for only a short time, allowed it to deal with the grime, without having too big of an impact on the vinyl.

Whatever the cleaning method, the rinse is ever important.

I may try this out on the used vinyl that I have that has already been hand cleaned and still has a lot of background noise.

Just my curiosity...

Manimal and Pete74 like this.
  17. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

What are the chemicals used in the product? Most bathroom cleaners have sodium hydroxide in them, which is a highly caustic chemical that is probably not compatible with vinyl. If it is true, according to DIY types, that vinegar (mild acid) is a safe cleaning solution, I would not expect a caustic solution to also be safe.

But, I have no problems with someone else conducting experiments on their own record collection. I will wait for more results.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Actually, most bathroom cleaners have a mix of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and a smaller quantity of sodium hydroxide (to stabilize the sodium hypochlorite). The sodium hypochlorite is a very strong oxidizer. I have no idea if this is bad for vinyl or the other chemicals in records. Still, as a general matter, one should avoid use of anything as a cleaner without knowing whether it is safe for use on records. It might be the case that the chemical does not cause any obvious damage at first, but, in the long run, or with repeated use, damage could occur. I find it amazing that, after seventy years of people using alcohol to clean records, there is still no consensus on how safe is that practice.

19. Johnny Rocker

Vinager....

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think the problem is given the mindset of the DIY record cleaners, we'd end up with posts like "so I mixed the Tergitol as directed, but then without even trying it first I threw in some Dawn and rubbing alcohol, because, well, why not right?". These folks can't be saved. Just let them clean their records with their shampoo + simple green mixture in peace.

21. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Vinyl record cleaning products are designed first and foremost to do no harm to the records. They will get most records clean, but any of us with years of experience purchasing used vinyl have encountered records that defy cleaning by the "safe" methods. Consumer cleaning products have a huge amount of science behind them (much larger scale than record cleaning products), and are worth a try after two or three of the conventional cleaning products fail. My "go to" fluid for those records is clear GlassPlus (no ammonia!). I let it sit on the record for about a minute, work the grooves clean with a record brush and rinse very thoroughly. It usually does the job. I have not used anything as aggressive as scrubbing bubbles, but the OP may have made a valid discovery.

Vinyl is a tough substance but scratches easily. Alcohol and the like won't do permanent damage if you get it off in a minute or so and rinse thoroughly. Don't use anything that says "polish" on it or contains any kind of grit.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've used iso alcohol as part of cleaning vinyl since the 70's and it has never caused any problems. And I still have the records. A fellow I knew years ago, a chemist & engineer, with patents for vinyl (in industrial applications) and a record collector as well, made clear there are no issues with isopropyl alcohol damaging record vinyl. That doesn't mean self certified 'experts' will agree of course. Like every other subject, diversity of opinion is the norm.

Steve0, Damien DiAngelo and katstep like this.
  23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Funny. I'm not sure I'd agree but it is nice to think so! Like the old favorite: they wouldn't allow it on TV if it wasn't true...

My first thought with the thread title was the play on a Shakespeare line: bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.....

24. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I have used it for years on thousands of records, and there are lots of threads in the archive of other people who do, too. The MSDS doesnt show any real issues. You must rinse thoroughly afterwards, of course.

arisinwind and Pete74 like this.
  25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I dunno.

I have a $3 used bin buy for Carol King's Tapestry, which is endless crackles and pops - even after using MoFi Enzyme and Pure Rinse on my RCM...twice.

What would it hurt to try this out? $3 and some of my time in retirement?

(Goes off to check cabinets for Scrubbing Bubbles)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.