When an alternate album cover is (in your opinion) better than the original?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solly Bridgetower, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I liked these guys better when Wind joined... :)

2. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Here's an example of where the rationale seems to be "If there's any trace of whimsy in the original cover, let's stamp it out!"

UK original:

[​IMG]

US "this is some basic crap image marketing can get behind" version:

[​IMG]

snowman872, HeavensAbove and Haristar like this.
  3. smallworld

You're correct! I've updated the original post. Thanks.

4. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dutch and American covers, respectively.

HeavensAbove likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I prefer the reissue cover for Megadeth's "Killing Is My Business" to the original. Too bad "These Boots" is so annoyingly censored.

Hopefully someone can post the covers for me. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

which one do you prefer?

[​IMG]

7. peterpyser

[​IMG]

These are just a couple of variations if you want to see most of the 90+ go here: Synchronicity

8. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Far right - the one I've had for 36 years!

9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

There's another David Bowie example - The Buddha of Suburbia.

The original (a really badly cut out screen grab from the TV series):

[​IMG]

Versus the much classier looking reissue cover:

[​IMG]

10. peterpyser

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Art Garfunkel's FATE FOR BREAKFAST was released with six different covers. Which do you prefer?

[​IMG]

Yovra, snowman872 and izgoblin like this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Wow, never knew that, but to me, the 1st and 3rd in the top row are album cover worthy with the 3rd being the clear winner. The rest should have been outtakes.

13. The ones on the left.

14. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Original '95:

[​IMG]

Reissue 2005:

[​IMG]

rararabbits likes this.
  15. smallworld

Centre top row is the only one that doesn't look like an outtake to me. Was that only used in Spanish speaking territories?

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I prefer the US belly button cover to the UK God cover as well. Interesting to note - in changing the cover, it meant not having to do the more elaborate packaging of the UK version which folded open. Not quite a gatefold but more elaborate than the standard single spine of the US. Still, I much prefer the simpler look of the US - the weirdness of "Show me your belly buttons!" and all.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

No it was issued widely. It was just that I couldn't find an image of that one other than that Spanish-sticker one at the time I assembled that image.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I assume you're not familiar with their music..?
    Excellent Dutch prog band. They got more commercial, but all the albums up until 1977 are all recommended! :righton:

gregorya likes this.
  19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Prefer the first one.

20. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Agree. The first one looks more era-appropriate.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Hendrix:

1. Reprise cover of "AYE" over Track.
    [tho luv the UK cover/US has more of a feel for "AYE" IMO]
    2.Reprise "EL" cover over Jimi's suggested photo.
    [posted here at SHMF before very biased toward Hendrix inspired Psychedelic art/Eastman's photo is OK]
    2A. '75 Japan Barclay "EL" cover is trippy.
    3. German "Loose Ends" over UK.
    3A. French Barclay "LE" cover is wild!
    4. EH "Live at Monterey".
    4A. LD "LaM" cover.
    5. '95 Nectar CD over original "Experience[/More Experience]" LP cover.

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Only vaguely familiar with them, but I couldn't resist the remark... ;)

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No one outside of the band has ever seen it (since it was rejected) but I'll bet the originally commissioned cover for Cream Corn from the Socket of Davis would have been more fun than the released cover.

24. That indeed remains one of the biggest mysteries regarding this whole album... I've read accounts from members here who recall in-store displays and even radio advertisements for the 2LP still being around as late as the first week of April, yet just days later the product failed to reach shelves without as much as an explanation. finally arriving in June after being extensively reworked. CBS obviously made the decision to trim the material down at the last possible minute, since the test pressings that have surfaced confirm it wasn't even put into acetate form until the middle of March. After originally being scheduled for December 1982, it seems the entire project was to be rushed into mass production, having already missed one deadline that was also widely reported. On this note, the lead single wasn't initially going to be Rock 'N' Roll Is King, but rather Beatles Forever - ironically the one leftover that has yet to officially see the light of day. If my research is correct, the replacement song's video was filmed at the end of '82, suggesting this change predated the other far more drastic alterations that would take place a few short weeks after. While no final copies of the vinyl edition have ever been confirmed as still existing, two sets of the aforementioned acetates are definitely out there, including an earlier variation with a slightly different tracklist and possibly alternate mixes of certain songs, plus there's at least one complete double gatefold sleeve in the possession of a known collector who prefers to keep this hidden away. Curiously, a former member of ELO had once spoken of having to return their promotional cassette back to CBS, and engineer Bill Bottrell has a reference dub of this in his private archive. One of our only hopes for getting to hear the full assembly is if some obscure radio station or journalist didn't give their tape back when the order was made to withdraw these.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.