When Did 60s Nostalgia Begin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

How so? Kids around here start every day with the same Pledge Of Allegiance. It's not Russia, buddy.:)

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

My bad for assuming it was a Cali thing then.

You and I both have grade school kids, perhaps that's the difference in that we know because we see it first-hand.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah and whenever I'm visiting in school in the morning, it comes over the intercom and the adults and I say the pledge as well, hand over heart and everything, just like always...

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  4. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Haha! Yeah, mine was one of them...I think.

5. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

By the time of Hard Rock, Funk, Prog and Philly Soul I was nastalgic for The British Invasion, Southern Soul, Surf and Garage.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Many values that existed in the 60's are sorely needed today. When I look at so much of the modern parenting that goes on, the anti-social behavior thats become so common, the mega-church worship for sports and entertainment people, I see what was lost. On the other hand, imagine being a young man, hopeful about the world, into all the amazing music going on....coming home from Valu-Mart with your new Beatles album and a Temptations 45, seeing the draft notice mail on the counter. Those lists of names in the daily newspapers, guys your age: 18, 19, 20, 21, who aren't coming home, takes on a new meaning. Your world is about to change but you don't get to decide.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me the mid 70's..

8. Runt

Runt Senior Member

:laughup:

9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yes, I remember talk in the media that in the year 2000, average citizens would be enjoying a 3 day workweek while still acquiring upward financial mobility along with the unprecedented leisure time. Somebody put the kibosh on that idea.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was born in 1967 so I am a little younger than some here but my parents put a clock radio next to my bed when I was very young to help me sleep at night. One station would always have an album spotlight late at night and play a complete album all the way through which I thought was cool at the time. Most of the time but not always, it would be a newer release. They also carried the King Biscuit Flour Hour broadcasts. I grew up in very conservative rural area so the radio was my link to the outside world. Local stations mostly played country music and there were still protests and arsons at the nearby colleges when I was younger and my father was a professor so I can remember some of the long hairs coming over to the house. Some would drive their motorcycles right up in the yard near the front porch. One of my first experiences with death was when one student who I knew from visits to the house, died of a possible drug related suicide in the early seventies.

I guess I just remember that music fondly that was my escape to another world next to my bed during my youth.

While the idealism of the era and such causes as equal rights, protecting the environment and exposing the misdeeds of our government were very commendable, there were a lot of bad things going during these times as well.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. The Big Chill was almost a remake of "Return of the Secaucus Seven", John Sayles' first movie. "Seven" was super low budget and from what I remember (haven't seen it in over 30 years) the acting was no great shakes either but it was basically TBC without the soundtrack and the cashing in. Personally, I like them both.

12. tages

tages Senior Member

I concur. I am gaining a lot of knowledge and respect here for the "Boomers". I wasn't there and this is fascinating stuff.

bumbletort likes this.
  13. tages

tages Senior Member

.....and hopefully there won't be too many more "helpful" posts like this to get in the way.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

it's interesting that the editorial dates to late 1974.by that time (i was 22) i was beginning to lose interest in current pop music.
    i still heard things that i liked,but little that excited & pleased me as pop music had from 1964-70.by that point i certainly viewed
    the 60s as a 'Golden Age',at least as far as music was concerned.1975 was year that i seriously started exploring jazz & classical music.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...care to elaborate?:D

16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

With their own personal jetpacks, too.

17. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Depends on if you mean early 60's or late 60's - big difference.

If you mean psychedelic era / late 60's - What year did they make the disco Sgt. Pepper movie? That would probably qualify.

These things seem to happen in about 20 year cycles, so I would say the nostalgia started in the mid to late 80's, maybe?

I can think of some 60's throwback albums and artists from around that time -

Prince - Around the World in a Day
    XTC / Dukes of Stratosphere
    World Party
    Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians

18. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

We had to do the Air Raid practice drills.........a lot. When the siren went off, everyone in the hallway, on the floor, on your knees, with your arms folded over your head against the wall.

I don't even think we knew what and why we were doing this! Would it be that organized if something really did happen?

bumbletort likes this.
  19. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

If there was any 60s Nostalgia in 1974 or earlier then it had to be for the years 1960 to pre-Kennedy Assassination 1963. Many people look at the Kennedy Assassination as a turning point where many peoples' hopes and dreams and optimism for the future of the country were lost and the tumultuous part of the 60s began. Even though I wasn't around then, I completely understand why people would have a longing and nostalgia for those early 60s years. Don't forget that it wasn't over yet in 1974, Nixon resigned that year and the Vietnam War would go on for another year in a demoralizing conclusion. Very different country from the early 60s.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    bumbletort likes this.
  20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Happy Days aired in 1974. If there was any collective nostalgia (beyond the occasional guy like me that missed the late 60's music scene already) it would be nostalgia for the Kennedy / pre-Beatles era. I don't remember any real nostalgia for 64-74!

21. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Uh, yeah, that's it--organized. Ahhh, yes. Come get these memories, come get these memories...when The Bomb is on its way, crawl under something--anything--fold your arms over your head, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye.

Jayski likes this.
  22. 1970.

Bill likes this.
  23. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

The JFK assassination really changed things in terms of national spirit--before that there actually was a sense of endless possibility, perhaps even something almost like optimism. The Space Program was a part of this, plus other causes, movements. I know this sounds like an alien world to those who weren't there, but this really did exist for many. It is one aspect of the early 1960s zeitgeist that I wish would do an encore. I've about had it with cynicism of the cheap sort.

MusicalHeaven likes this.
  24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

my parents both graduated HS in the mid '60s. everything that's been said in this thread regarding the reality of the 1960s has pretty much been said by my folks...the duck and cover drills, the Kennedy assassination, friends getting drafted and shipped off to Vietnam...but also the monotonous life of growing up in the actual conservative '60s, like getting a summer job in the steel mill, making sure the skirt wasn't too short, everyone's parents watching Lawrence Welk.

my folks also absolutely hated The Big Chill. i saw it a few months back, and i understand why they hated it so bad. there's that scene with Meg Tilly where she says something like "i don't talk about myself as much as you guys do." when her character said that, i couldn't tell if the filmmakers were having a joke at our expense, or if they were just so far up their own butts about painting this idealized picture of growing up in the 1960s that they missed the irony in that statement.

bumbletort likes this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Happy Days was 50s nostalgia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.