When Did 60s Nostalgia Begin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You are correct in general, but it's the second decade of the 21st Century and many people still listen to plenty of music that was recorded in the 1960's. People in the 1980's were NOT listening to music recorded in the 1930's...and don't give me Robert Johnson, The Carter Family or Louis Armstrong. As respected as they deserve to be, commercial radio was not playing those artists in the 1980's.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

June 17, 1972.

3. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

maybe i'm coming at the cynicism thing from the wrong angle - but to me this is where the current crop of 20 and 30-somethings have it all wrong. i'm talking about the worldy hipsters are who are probably, at their core, smart enough to effect actual change. but they're just too busy navel-gazing through selfies, blog entries, and creating mean-spirited internet memes.

i know, painting with a broad brush, and perhaps i'm the overly cynical one. but i'm 32 and have always felt that, in many ways, given the technology and wealth of information at our disposal, my generation and the one immediately following has kind of blown it.

bumbletort likes this.
  4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

My grandmather was (in the 1980's) as I'm sure many seniors were at the time. She certainly wasn't playing Elvis or The Beatles, that's for sure. It was big band music / Bing Crosby for her, and maybe Sinatra.

Now you may be correct that these tunes weren't playing on the radio, but that doesn't mean they didn't have an audience back then. My grandmother, as I recall, used to go to dance halls to listen to music and dance as I believe the two were heavily intertwined.

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

You're correct, if you limit culture exclusively to music.

6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The Big Chill was certainly responsible for a Motown revival---that scene in the kitchen after the funeral while Ain't Too Proud to Beg was playing inspired literally hundreds of commercials throughout the rest of the decade. But don't forget that the Big Chill was itself inspired by John Sayle's Return of the Seacaucus Seven a few years earlier--but that film was largely about radical politics--a theme only touched on in the Big Chill. Also the Big Chill begat the awful "thirtysomething" television series, popular at the time--now nearly forgotten....

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

No comparison to what I said.

8. Thurenity

You wrote, and I quote, "People in the 1980's were NOT listening to music recorded in the 1930's". I responded to that sentence as I don't agree with it and cited an anecdotal example.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The Watergate Break In? That was certainly about 60's nostalgia in a way--wasn't it basically a reunion of the people who put on The Bay of Pigs invasion?

Henryflowr likes this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You responded to the first sentence. You knew what I meant.

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Brilliant.

12. Thurenity

No, I responded to your second sentence (and also your third one). I just quoted sentence two in my last post to make that clear, in case there was confusion there.

I didn't respond to your first sentence at all - that's another discussion and one that comes up here on the forum pretty frequently.

13. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I may agree with some of this, but I'll tell you something: in some respects the crop of 20- and 30-somethings about today are the realization of what I grew to dream for the future way back in the late 1960s. The obvious one for me is the increasingly widespread tolerance for all kinds of people--I can now see a time coming when most will be in large part oblivious to race, creed, sexual preference when it comes to social justice or just in terms of socializing and the meetings of minds.

Even more important is My Big Issue, Women's Rights. I can actually see dimly a time when not only will there be true gender equality, but an actual fundamental reshaping of society so that gender equality does not equal 'being permitted to fill a Male Slot'. I don't know what that world will really be like--I don't think anyone does--but it will be as different from what we have now as our present time is from the 1960s; and I believe it will be a much stronger and FAIR world. All this sort of transformation is not coming from the likes of me and my peers--it is coming from the young of today. Clearly coming from them in my view. My regret is I will not see it.

14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

15. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

actually, i do agree with this. it's not something i was thinking about when composing my initial post. hey, i'm still coming off a week where, you know...Syria...Miley Cyrus...usage of the word "selfie" increasing exponentially in a fortnight.

but in all seriousness, you do see a much higher demand in accountability. nowadays, some big corporate honcho is caught on tape making some kind of snide racist/sexist remark, and they're darn near put out of business once that stuff goes viral on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. again, call me cynical, but if you can tap into both deep humanist sensibilities and people's wallets, that's half the battle right there.

bumbletort likes this.
  16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

There was a time in 2002 - 2003 when my kids were still in school here in California that they temporarily stopped the teacher-led pledge of allegiance. It was reinstated without the phrase "under God" but I mis-remembered it as having been banned. My apologies. :)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/pledge.asp

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yep. 80s. When I went to university in 1986, everyone was into the Mamas and the Poppas, The Beatles, etc.

18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I also wonder when the trashing of classic rock began?

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In early 70s UK, many pop bands adopted a very nostalgic Phil Spector-like production (ELO, Wizard, The Rubettes,...).

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  20. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My nostalgia is firmly routed in the music as I wasn't there and unable to comment on the uncertainty of the times, I know I said that I thought I may have been born a good 20 years too late, but as far as where we are now as afar as quality of life and respect for each other, human rights etc, I'm glad I'm around now and still relatively young(!) and able to appreciate a wide range of popular music, although if I was forced to pick a 10 year period where I could only listen to music from that period, it would be 1963-1973.

bumbletort likes this.
  21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Correct...but read the prior post I was responding to. Happy Days portrays the mid 50's through mid 60's. 1950's nostalgia incorporates the Kennedy / pre-Beatles era 1960's. Just like 60's nostalgia = late 60's thru early 70's.

22. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

When everybody started dying...Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Vince Lombardi...

23. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

with the Raspberries, Big Star, Badfinger and Nuggets in the early 70s

Bill likes this.
  24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

When Happy Days was worth watching (3 seasons max) they were in the 50s. The Joanie loves Chachi era.......I'd get my 60s nostalgia elsewhere lol

25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I remember a big 1960s nostalgia push centered around the 20th anniversary of Woodstock, in 1989. It seemed to be a big selling point for the big media. I remember young people in my office that year asking me if I had gone to Woodstock and what was it really like in the old days of the 1960s. I had to tell them that I was 14 in 1969, had short nerdy hair, strict nuns rapping my knuckles with a ruler in class, and stern parents who hardly let me out of the house. The thought that I would travel across half of North America to go to a rock festival was about as likely as if I would go to the moon. But the younger people thought that the entire nation had been one big hippie music commune in 1969, based on the cable TV and newspaper and magazine coverage in 1989.

Michael P and bumbletort like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.