When did AC/DC become so huge?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by driverdrummer, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I just don't believe everything I read.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think the post you are responding to is about Australia. They were huge in Australia since TNT and even a bit before, when they made a legendary TV performance on our prime time music show. Then iconic film clips for Long Way To The Top and Jailbreak. They represented us to ourselves. Our culture our streets. They were the leaders of our sound. We were a small population back then though. A small market. Then they went to England and Europe when Punk was in full bloom. Then to the US.

Kingsley Fats and Storz like this.
  3. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Radio play in the late 70s into the 80s was limited in rural areas that were still mostly AM top 40 stuff.
    Trust me,as a person that grew up in a fundamentalism church situation it was far more then a minor rumbling long before Tipper ever tried to get involved.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Brian Johnson was no upgrade to Bon Scott, sir.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Forgot they also released Dirty Deeds in the US in 1981 so you started hearing the title track all the time on the radio too.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never heard of them til after he joined. Then went back and saw earlier vids a friend had and was unimpressed. Major upgrade to my taste.

7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The 2nd and 3rd best selling LPs of AC/DC, at least in the USA appear to be Bon Scott led. Highway To Hell & Dirty Deeds.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Takes all kinds.

9. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I'd say it was the rise of Guns n' Roses and the rejuvenation of Aerosmith probably played a part in that 1990 spike. Hair Metal had been waved goodbye and a more stripped down rock 'n' roll sound was back in again.

driverdrummer and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Based on record sales there are more of my kind. Doesn't make me right. But certainly not an outlier opinion.

GodShifter and erikdavid5000 like this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

......when they started to be played incessantly on classic-rock and modern-rock radio. Why
    this hoary old band would be played on modern-rock radio is beyond me......I guess because
    they are loud and juvenile and the kids love that. I never really `got' AC/DC until I saw them.
    It was like seeing Bruce Springsteen for the first time. Even the last show I saw in Detroit with
    Axl, Stevie Young and Chris Slade was incredible, which probably has a lot to do with the guy
    playing lead guitar. Definitely one of the top-10 live bands of all-time. Hey, maybe that's why
    they are huge.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Hey, he said “to my taste” so he wasn’t making some set in stone forever announcement like peope tend to do when dissing Brian. And let’s be real here: there are fans out there now insisting that Axl is better than Bon or Brian

GodShifter likes this.
  13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

the songs get right to rocking.

No moody, meandering parts like "Fight the Good Fight" by Triumph and "Screaming In The Night" by Krokus (two songs that used to get a lot of play on Classic Rock radio but now seem to have largely disappeared).

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I can remember in what I think was 4th grade, one of my classmates bringing in the Highway to Hell album, this would have been 1979-80...and I knew who they were even then without ever having listened to them so they must have been popular by that point. I was living down in Portland, TX just outside of Corpus Christi

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea, he doesn't wanna go to oz and say that lol

Kingsley Fats and GodShifter like this.
  16. mark winstanley

:yikes:

17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Ok, Jesse ;)

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

And I said it takes all kinds.

If he, or anyone else, likes Johnson better (I think you do, right?) fine; great. I didn’t say anything derogatory about Brian. I just don’t prefer him. I’d take him over Axl, though.

19. ian christopher

why the tracks from The Razor's Edge get so much more recognition/airplay than songs from Fly On The Wall, Flick of the Switch, or Blow Up Your Video has always puzzled me.

Most of the tunes on TRE seem to be ready to burst out with more power and grit, but they seemed constrained by a sterile production and so-so performances.

20. ian christopher

the only possible reason that my trivia-addled mind can come up with is that the year 1990 was a Watershed year for hard rock - with songs by bands such as Skid Row reaching the highest reaches of the Top 40 Countdown.

Thus, the songs from The Razor's Edge (while not as fantastic as songs from AC/DC's earlier 1980's albums) got more recognition and respect.

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Razor's Edge was just a bigger album. Mainly due to Thunderstruck I guess. I don't know why that song became what it did. I think Heatseeker is better.

But, like I mentioned earlier, they had kind of a slump commercially in the mid-late 80s - even though there were some hits. The Razor's Edge period was a big comeback.

Szeppelin75 and ian christopher like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t think I’ve ever heard The Razor’s Edge. I checked out after Flick of the Switch (which I liked). I’m not terribly familiar with a lot of the Johnson material to be honest.

I just moved on, I guess.

ian christopher likes this.
  23. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

It depends bib was huge but their popularity went down hill fairly fast. Mid to late 80's they weren't doing great. The razor's edge put them on top for a short time. Their popularity went down in the 90's but nowhere near as bad as bands like iron maiden. At some point they became the biggest hard rock band again. I guess around the time of black ice.

24. mark winstanley

i'd take mariah carey over axl lol

GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m not a fan, either. In anything he’s ever done. He annoys me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.