When did DVD's become worthless?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

As other have mentioned, I'm looking forward to cheaply catching up on great shows that I haven't got around to watching yet, like THE SOPRANOS, THE WIRE and MAD MEN. I'll keep my DVD's as it took so long to find some of them - a few from overseas. If I made that much of an effort to find the movie, I'll keep it, thanks.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This is also true is the rest of Canada for p0rn DVD & Blu-ray sales/trades.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Too many times...amd I still do it. But you have to admit, it's kinda fun and no one is forcing us to rebuy. How many copies of the same albums have we all bought over and over. And the ultimate is those of us that dumped our vinyl amd are now buying the same vinyl all over again! And enjoying it. Something very wrong with us. But I think with video it is different in that you likely won't be able to buy pedestrian titles on disc shortly, especially since the announcement by Fox that no more Simpsons will be released. I just don't want to trust that my favorites will always be available, or that streaming prices will stay so low.

aussievinyl and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree, but not on the vinyl part...I buy many movies and have thousands of CDs of which I will keep. I still add to the collection. I can relate to the buying again of sold off items mainly movies these days...and yes no one forced us, but they knew they had the collector by the balls...

5. Michael

didn't we all, but we can make up for it with the current price of used DVDs! like 25 for 1 these days!

6. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I still buy some tv shows on DVD... happily bought the Wonder Years and some more recent shows when at good prices.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I do that as well; got the complete I Dream of Jeannie for $19. And I've been thinking hard about both WKRP and China Beach (though that is still not cheap).

8. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

oh yes, I picked up WKRP on release last year - an all time favorite.

I can live with less than ideal quality - I can't see HD helping a source like 70s sitcoms on video anyway. I do have concerns as time moves on and TVs keep upgrading to higher standards.

9. JimW

I'm actually blown away by how good some of these old sitcom's look. Jeannie has some inconsistencies- some soft shots, occasionally noisy shots, but overall a sharp. clean, color-saturated presentation on my 67" TV (w/ good upscaling). The Dick Van Dyke blu-rays are really incredible, but that's a different beast- shot on film.

10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

When 1080p arrived...

chilinvilin likes this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There are just so many older films that got released on DVD that never made it to blu-ray & will never be streamed. That is why I like having a collection.

jeatleboe, Grand_Ennui, Jrr and 4 others like this.
  12. Michael

YES...it makes it all worthwhile...

13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

You bought them for a reason; don't be so quick to jettison.

14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

StarVista was having a "liquidation sale" on certain titles, and they had China Beach for half-price ($99.99). The sale was supposed to be over yesterday, but the sale price is still showing up on the website as of today:

http://timelife.com/products/china-...gn=May2015_Liquidation2_EM&utm_content=Prod01

15. JimW

Thanks for the info. But that's still too rich for my blood- esp. for something that will have the fate this thread discusses. Amazon had the 1st season for $9.96, which I was ready to bite on, but then saw that is only available to Prime members! (This is a new but apparently increasing trend that troubles me) I'll wait for them to lose their value and pick them up when they are cheap, if I don't catch them on a streaming service. Anybody know if this series is on netflix?

16. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I found the first three seasons of Downton Abby on bluray at Salvation Army today for $1 per season. And one set isn't even opened.

17. JimW

wow- quite a find (but rather depressing...).

18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I know what you mean.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was in a thrift store today and saw many season sets of current shows, some of them even still on the air, for $5 or less.

20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yeah, it's more than I'd pay as well despite the additional extras the big set has that the season sets don't. A while back Costco had the season sets for pretty cheap (cheaper than Amazon's price on seasons 2-4 but not as cheap as the sub-$10 season 1), and I thought about picking them up then but didn't. They'll be cheaper eventually, and I have plenty of other things to watch in the meantime.

I don't have a Netflix account, but it looks like CB is not available for streaming there, only on DVD (and only season 1).

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

are they insane? what about all the dedicated customers that have been buying from them for years, but don't want to pay them a exorbitant yearly fee?

22. Michael

I don't. I find it wonderful! it's about time we get a break from the prices we paid for years and years for our media...over and over again...these bargains are a small gift!

Jrr likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I haven't seen any prices on Amazon that are only available to Prime members. I buy a ton of stuff from them too, both from Amazon directly and from resellers.

Jrr likes this.
  24. But not every generation will have enough of them to turn a profit. So it's TS for us.

25. But who is the joke on? The people in those videos...or the people watching them? :whistle: :angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.