When did DVD's become worthless?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

they already dumb down 4k for the new BR Format and 4k streaming is hardly real 4k , A film in proper 4k should take up a 200gb file ,are you telling me they are going to let you download a movie anywhere close to even half that size?
    and how long will that take to download ?

I get Netflix and do like it ,but I streamed a couple of Breaking bad shows (not 4k) then played the Blue Rays ,the Blue Rays were clearly better , and like most of Streaming ,nothing is free

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't know what that means. How is it 'dumbed down'?

According to whom? H.265 encoding makes for half sized files compared to current bluray.

There is no technical reason why this could not be the case.

How long is a piece of string? It'll take forever on dialup. Much less time on average broadband and even less on fiber. In any case, you can choose what filesize works best for your connection.

Huh? Why would you expect streaming to be free? We're talking about the future of the industry here, not what any cherrypicked individual may or may not be able to get this very instant. The trend is clear.

3. PNeski@aol.com

well if you keep compressing it ,sure you can get it into smaller files ,but that's hardly 4k ,just like the so called HD files you download now which are the size of a dvd ,hardly real HD at least the new upcoming 4k blue Rays
    give you much less compression ,
    Nothing is free ,But spending 5.00 everytime I want to watch a film ,in a compressed form which I don't own ,seems stupid for catalog titles ,which cost less than that on dvd and not much more on BR

audiomixer likes this.
  4. PNeski@aol.com

If someone bought Let It Be when it came out ,on whatever format ,they would still have it ,and could play it anytime they want ,and not have to wait till apple decides when they want to re release it,why put it in there hands as to what they want to
    let you stream ,something thats out there now ,might be gone tomorrow They only have so much space too,so when new shows come out ,older ones have to go

audiomixer likes this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I did a cut through my dvd collection last year and pulled about 30 to 40% of them out and sold them on Amazon. Since I have "eclectic" tastes, I sold most of them and made quite a nice amount of cash. Very far from "worthless"! Of course, I had lots of out of print cult, indie and horror titles. Off-beat stuff, I guess you'd say. It's just like with cd's - the common as dirt stuff is almost impossible to sell, the rare and collectible will always have a demand for it.

6. Where are you selling these? I'd like to go and buy stuff at that price! Even second hand, here in Australia, a TV show box set is $10 and it's around $5 for a movie. And, like I said, that is second hand! Maybe before sending them to landfill, send me a PM with a list of what you have and how soon you want to sell it.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It was time someone realized this apart from me:thumbsup:

audiomixer likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

And it's not any better on my DVD version !!!!!!

9. When 8K TVs were released.

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's a real shame. Anything that looks like CD is in for a hard time.

11. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

secondspin.com

Here's some examples:
    "Curse of the Jade Scorpion" - They buy for 10 cents / They sell for $2.99
    "The Sopranos Season 6 Part 2" - They buy for $1.50 / They sell for $15.99

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I did the same, though I kept the eclectic stuff. Some of them, like Liddsville, go for a fortune. Video titles that are really valuable are few and far between, though. I've got many more valuable CDs, probably because they are unlikely to be released again.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Oh, believe me, I kept a lot of my eclectic stuff! There were many that I knew I'd never watch again <I'm 60 now> and/or just not interested in any more that were worth more than I paid for them. I just went through Amazon with stack after stack and put aside the ones that I was willing to sell that were worth more than a minimum of $5.
    I'm going to cut a little deeper next pass, should get to doing that here soon.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, it's not the same at all. The new compression standard (H.265) maintains the same visual quality at half the bitrate (ie, smaller file size) compared to the existing standard.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I realized today, while watching the bonus features on my Blu ray of Bridge On The River Kwai, how bad a lot of these extras look now, with the passage of time, deterioration, no restoration, and top of the line TV screens.
    The film itself looks gorgeous, but those poor extras from 1957...and I know, source elements. Plus, nobody's spending a dime on restoring bonus features. I wouldn't.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...for no films I want to see...

17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I hate how 4K is only 2160 horizontal lines of resolution. It should be called 2K.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm talking about the growing trend that will become the primary model for video entertainment consumption. It's already the preferred model for Gen Y/Z-ers who have no affinity for physical media. This ties in with the discussion about DVDs becoming worthless.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's what happens when ppl dump their physical media...but, the retail buyers don't pass down the bargains...if you want a bargain go to a thrift shop.

20. Michael

some of my son's friend of which I've know since they were youngsters are now all grown up and find my large collection of movies worthless...others can appreciate them.

21. Michael

no matter what there will be plenty to harvest used!

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If DVDs have little resale value, then how much value do your "digital downloads" have? You can't even trade those in.

23. Michael

and to some it won't matter...they will just erase them...it's scary how ppl have been transformed into having no baggage with their media...I can't relate, but sometimes I wish I could have that freedom...all this collecting can be overwhelming!

24. Think of it as "archiving" and you'll feel much better. (Won't ease your wallet pain, though :shake: )

Michael likes this.
  25. PNeski@aol.com

I find that hard to Believe , half is more like the New Blue Ray format ,not those tiny streaming files which aren't half

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.