When did DVD's become worthless?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea! that's it...

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I sold a DVD for £60 last month. As others have mentioned, some are worth a lot of money, particularly cult films that were only briefly in print.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The new bluray format uses the H.265 compression standard. But the standard is not tied to bluray, it's an international standard in and of itself, which the bluray consortium has adopted. Services like Netflix are already using it to stream 4k content and pretty much every new smart TV now has built-in a H.265 decoder in firmware, to be able to decode the stream. If your TV is not capable of decoding H.265, then Netflix will send you a different stream that your device can decode (like the current, and less efficient, H.264).

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

its the 15mps which is a lot less than the new standard for HD BR but even if streaming gets better ,your still not in control ,sure everything isn't out on video ,but there's a whole lot on Laser,Tape ,DVD and BR

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's never an all or nothing proposition. People will adopt whatever works for them the best. But big changes are afoot and the younger generation on the whole, care more for convenience than the medium or even the ultimate quality of the medium - if it looks pretty good and is easy to access on demand, then it's good enough.

The same thing that happened to music consumption will, and is, happening to video. It's just that video is harder, due to much larger bandwidth requirements, but those challenges are in the process of being addressed.

Jrr likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just sold quite a few DVDs, and a handful of Blu rays. Got over $100.00, plus a percentage off that on a gift certificate to be used in store.
    I'm more than happy. OP had me thinking I might only be offered $.10 per disc. Apparently not in Nashville yet !

7. Michael

unfortunately they are rare...

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

9. Michael

how true...

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

You might be selling them at the wrong place. I'd try selling them on eBay or Amazon. You can swap them on swapadvd.com if interested in that. Rather than just smash them, give them as a gift, Christmas, birthday, etc. Last but least you could always donate them to the library.

11. The libraries in my area would sell them.

12. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Usually library sales serve the purpose of raising funds for the library. Maybe they don't need to add the DVDs you donate to their collection, but they can use the money to buy things they do need.

Dino, Michael and wayneklein like this.
  13. Michael

after you gift something it's their choice to do what they please with it...I'd have no problem with them selling any of my donations...IMO.

14. Michael

with the competition of the 1 cent DVDs by the time your done it's more work than it's worth...the Amazon sharks have a feeding frenzy for pennies! plus Amazon takes more than they're worth!

chaz likes this.
  15. Oh I don't care. I just find it ironic.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

well they do have sales...BUT, I understand where you are coming from though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.