When did John decide to leave The Beatles/what was the "final straw"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

that is a very good point about Ray Connelly, had he published that as John likely hoped, it would all be on John
    i think it did, the White album sits ill with me, many love it but for me side one aside it is a mess , there are 3 sides worth of great songs at a stretch, what is amazing is that Abbey Road is one of their best, its the album they could make when the pressure was on and they were focused, yes the medley was a fudge but what a beautiful fudge they made of it.

Paulwalrus, Mark E. Moon. and zipp like this.
  2. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Cold Turkey was not a big hit, it reached no30 in the US, hardly qualifies as a hit considering it was from a Beatle.

3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I think it's a general enough view as to be a virtual consensus that Harrison's efforts really were a positive factor down the stretch. I think it clear that a song like While My Guitar is one of the better songs on TWA, and Something is the best on Abbey Road. But I think Harrison's efforts do not support the view that the band was unaffected by the increasing difficulties within the band. He had an ongoing development as a songwriter (he being the youngest Beatle - it may merely have taken him a certain amount of growth and development to reach this level) that probably was occurring regardless of what else went on in the band. (not that all his efforts in this late Beatles period were great. I think Piggies is embarrassingly bad.)

Take out George's work in this period, and I think it becomes clear how relatively uneven the work of Paul and John was (relative to their earlier periods). Yes some real brilliance (Hey Jude, Across the Universe, Dear Prudence, Blackbird are some easy examples). But imo a certain share of misfires, too (Revolution #9, Obla Di, Maxwell's Silver Hammer etc...) As has been noted many times before the whole Let It Be effort was even seen as problematic by them. It's awfully difficult to not draw a connection between the conflict in the band and the relatively poor quality of Let it Be (again the comparison is relative). I think this is more subtle on TWA, but still very much present.

Abbey Road is an album that is an exception to my general view of increasing appreciation for their work. The first side is very uneven. Come Together is good, but not great. Something is awesome, but I am inclined to skip the rest of the first side. Truly the second side is brilliant as a suite of music. Mean Mr. Mustard Polythene Pam She Came in Through the Bathroom Window is awesome for the way they transition. But for the songs themselves, the A level tunes are imo limited to Here Comes the Sun and The Sun King.

George's efforts in short elevate the overall work in this period, but he worked on his own. On the whole the band's efforts were I think more uneven in this period than in any other.

4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

However you want to look at it, before the bands demise, Beatle solo albums were not good sellers.
    That is a Fact.

5. muffmasterh

Live peace in toronto ? thats the once i meant to say originally. I'm not sure of chart performance but it was a strong seller in the UK...

6. California Couple

Every time I saw the album in a store it looked like this:

[​IMG]

They wanted to sell records.

7. California Couple

Not so much in the US, but then again we don't always have the best taste. And today that taste is even worse.

Just look at todays Top 10. Egads!

Top 200 Albums

8. muffmasterh

lol, you say that but in the early-mid 70's we had a massive taste bypass in the UK !!!

9. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Am I mis-remembering that time period? I remember "Live Peace..." being an import and hard to find. I remember mine as being a "cherished score".

10. muffmasterh

Original copies came with a John & Yoko calendar for 1970, the UK Calendar is highly sought after as most surviving ones seem to come from USA copies ( they are constructed differently ) so either these USA copies with calendars are later repro's or quite a lot of USA pressings with Calendars were pressed. Whatever the truth, it is much easier to find a US calendar than a UK one.

11. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Homeless guy with a baby growing out of his armpit was designed to sell records?

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Interesting that both JL& GH had both solo albums out before the Beatles split.
    Ringo his acting career. McCartney was truly devoted to Beatles per se.

13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I got mine at my local Philadelphia Acme in 1970, calendar included.

numer9 likes this.
  14. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Paul composed music for Family Way, the music was actually recorded by the George Martin Orchestra.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It's funny how some people are trying to build a case for how the Beatles music was going downhill from the White Album on.

I'd put the White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road up against any other band's 3 albums.

And the Beatles would come out ahead.

16. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I hope you get started on that book. :)

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love to...maybe someday...

18. Michael

I agree...there are no weak Beatles albums period!

DRM likes this.
  19. Michael

PAUL'S FACE WAS ENOUGH! lol...

DRM likes this.
  20. Michael

Paul was the spirit of the Beatles...always.

maywitch and tteal like this.
  21. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

More recognizable than the POB.

[​IMG]

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Clearly you missed the very early Seventies.

And homeless people can't be stereotyped.

Or shouldn't be stereotyped.

You could find yourself in their position...any of us could.

So it's always best not to joke about them.

ToneLa, Digu, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It was John Lennon who said that.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. Michael

I agree...pray one never has to be there...

keyXVII likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, I love the album cover. It's simple and (IMO) fits very good to the music.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.