When did neil peart become a big deal????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I'm with Abba above - not a Rush fan. Don't have any of their albums and have never seen them live. Have never been able to figure them out.

But no matter. Holy hell, do I respect them as people, musicians and live performers.

keyXVII, azjvm05 and Natvecal. like this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Rush were headlining 17-20,000 seat arenas by the time of Hemispheres, though.

Dave and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

2112 was when I first took notice

4. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

YES 100%. The massive importance of the drum set on the front cover of the first live album, is not to be overlooked. Back then, people noticed that. From there his reputation was built up through word of mouth from all the touring years they did paired with other bands. Also the poster that came with Hemispheres certainly didn't hurt his reputation among the drum nerds, either. These were crucial parts of how the legend was built.

5. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

In a mainstream sense MTV may have been the vehicle for mass . Heck,YYZ alone on MTV would convert the masses. But, we were talking about NP long before Moving Pictures. But, I believe you're right in that sense (mainstream)

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember seeing a video of "Red Barchetta" with Neil throwing a stick in the air and catching it during one break in the song.

azjvm05 and Duke Fame like this.
  7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Also, the ingenious release of Archives in 1978 allowed everyone who just caught onto them after 2112 hit, to immediately catch up to speed, and then that propelled their whole fanbase forward with them, on the ascent to Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures where they got so big. I don't remember the list price but Archives was sort of a budget thing, and it gave people more of exactly what they wanted, right at the perfect moment after loads of people had discovered them through 2112, which took a little while to grow and reach people because of the relentless touring. So the timing of Archives coming out, is probably in the mix as well, for setting the stage and building the Peart legend into Big Deal status, and landing him onto the covers of drum magazines, and all that followed. Because the critics and concert-goers who missed them at first, could immediately go back and check out Peart's body of work on two of the three LPs -- and it was right there in the stores, instead of being dead back catalog. You could pick up either Archives or All The World's A Stage after hearing 2112 , and then the next time Rush came through your town, you were primed and ready for the show.

8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Good point about Archives. I had forgotten about that release. It's also interesting in light of their KISS association, because KISS did the same thing after Alive! and then Destroyer were so huge--they rereleased their first three albums as The Originals, in a package very similar to Archives.

mmars982 likes this.
  9. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Every drummer is required at birth to be a Keith Moon fan, but when it comes to playing style the two couldn't be more different.

10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, I was really speaking of my own experience and probably many others that were my age and lived in middle America at the time. I was 12 when 'Moving Pictures' came out, so anything before that would've been a bit out of reach for a kid my age without an older brother.

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...when he got that cameo in "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"!:

keyXVII, petem1966 and Dinstun like this.
  12. Natvecal.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The OP " BECOME A BIG DEAL" is probably more towards where you're coming from (MTV exposed/popularity) than when did any think or notice how good NP is , is my guess.

Duke Fame likes this.
  13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

He was an instant big deal. Rush had an avid following in the heartland...places like Cleveland, Detroit, etc. They toured with gusto and the word spread.

BDC and Dave like this.
  14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Who is Neil Peart? That was my first thought. A pretty big deal apparently.

Duke Fame likes this.
  15. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

So I started drumming in 1990-91, when I was 10 years old. I kept at it (still do) through the end of the decade, when I graduated high school. I have to say - while I didn't really get into drum magazines, I basically never heard the name "Neil Peart" until I was about 15-16. The names for young drummers back then were Dave Grohl, Dave Abbruzzese, Matt Cameron, etc. When pop-punk hit, it was Bill Stevenson. And of course, between grunge and the Zeppelin renaissance, John Bonham was always mentioned. But I *never* heard Neil Peart.

I finally started listening to Rush when Vapor Trails came out in 2002, and from there, Neil Peart was all of a sudden being mentioned everywhere, all leading up to his solo on Letterman and whatnot.

So I guess perhaps, aside from the diehards who followed Rush through the '90s, he wasn't mentioned too much. At least from where I sat as a young drummer who discussed other drummers with my music friends.

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I always thought it was pronounced "pert" also, but apparently it is more like "peert":

jon9091 likes this.
  17. I think Peart's stature really ascended with the pop audience that came with PermanentWaves on. He is a finesse drummer for those unschooled in drummers and his rise occurred as the era of great rock, soul, funk, and jazz drummers waned, and drum machines became more prominent. Also being the Ayn Rand lyricist added a dimension for some to his hero stature.

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

In my home town rock music fans were noticing Neal's abilities in the late seventies. All The World's A Stage and A Farewell To Kings were the albums that sparked the notoriety. So around 1977/1978 his name began to come up a lot when it came to discussing talented drummers with my friends in high school.

keyXVII and Terrapin Station like this.
  19. Gorgon

Gorgon Forum Resident

do you not have any Musical heroes ?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident Thread Starter

The difference between peart, Bonham, and moon, is that peart wasn't an alcoholic druggie like moon and Bonham were. They were great but wore out too early and were irresponsible and kinda jerks. Not saying neil is the nicest guy either, but he cared more about his craft and didn't party and outlasted these other two to make it to a 40 year anniversey tour milestone. That outta count for something.

azjvm05 likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I would tend to agree with this. IIRC, his drum kit was one of the first rather large/dense ones. Plus he was playing in a hard/metal/progressive blend which was unusual.
    Check this out
    The Drums of Neil Peart - A History

22. Natvecal.

It does. Proof in the pudding so to speak.

23. No sissy little drum kit for Neil here. Brilliant performance too! :agree:

keyXVII likes this.
  24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'd have said it was unwanted infamy that he's now pretty much fully recanted! ;)

petem1966 and zphage like this.
  25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Well technically Neil was literally on a pedestal when he played the crap out of those drums ;)

He is one of "the" great rock drummers, props to him for being so great in Rush

keyXVII, coniferouspine and Dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.