When did radio become irrelevant to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CupOfDreams, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I miss the New York radio stations I grew up with, from the 60's , wabc am station for the best top 40. Then around 1969 fm radio...wnew fm and plj. I miss the cool personalitys of the djs. Alison Steal, the nightbird. Scot Muni for the British hour. We still have wfmu for free form radio here nj.

2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

WKCR has an interesting mix of music, mostly jazz. WBGO is almost all jazz. WFUV is a rock(mostly) mixed bag. YMMV, but you might like some of them.

mooseman likes this.
  3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

As long as there is sports, radio will never be irrelevant to me. :) I live in L.A. where FM radio has never catered to me, so I stay on 'classic rock' 7 'oldies' stations most often. We have a relatively new station that plays 'album rock' that's pretty great.

4. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I used to love listening to Steele, she was adventurous. Some shows she opened with Mahavishnu Orchestra!

mooseman likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I still listen to the radio pretty much every single day.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  6. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. The majority of my time is with sports talk shows and if I have a station on non-sports, it is to listen to a morning show that is more that than music. I still laugh when my classic rock station says....we have ALL the hits. Well....PLAY THEM!

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

As far as music goes the late 70's. I do listen to sports talk radio virtually everyday so I guess I can't answer entirely that it is irrelevant.

8. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

About 10 years ago for music - alternative radio stations.
    Got sick of hearing the same boring stuff and stuff I simply cannot stand listening to.

9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I listen to radio every day - at home and in the car > WUMB Boston and WMVY Martha's Vineyard. I am constantly being introduced to artists that I most likely would never hear about.

SteelyTom likes this.
  10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I grew up listening to free form FM stations in the early 70s and listened all the time. In the early 80s I listened to several of the morning radio shows which seemed to be more talk than music and several had "shock jocks". Listening to the radio on any regular basis pretty much died for me in the late 80s / beginning of the 90s. This seemed to be when radio ownership changed and the repetitive playlists kicked in. I did continue to listen to a couple of shows like Beaker Street and the KSHE Klassics for several more years, but never turned the radio on otherwise. I have never had satelite radio and never bothered with internet radio - no interest in either one. It has been at least three years since I have listened to any radio station. If it went away one day, I doubt I would know it.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Still listening to and enjoying radio when we moved to the Boston area in 2003. Had heard about this being a great area for that format and was not disappointed in the least. However, within a decade my two favorites (WBCN and WFNX) both bit the dust and while there are still some good ones (the River comes to mind), once I got an iPod and was using it in the car on shuffle mode, I had more own personal "JeffMo Radio".

CCrider92 likes this.
  12. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

When I realized that run-of-the-mill FM music radio is mostly repetitive, obnoxious, in-your-face and just plain boring. At least that's the way it is where I live.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Quite a few years ago. Got sick of hearing the local classic rock station play the same 3 songs over and over.

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I still love the radio when driving. I just switched from music to talk radio. I save my music listening time for home.

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

forgot, so long ago

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I couldn't say the last time I listened to music on the radio. It's probably been at least 15 years. maybe more.

The only radio I listen to is NPR when I wake up in the morning.

17. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

I listen more than ever now that satellite radio is around.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I haven't listened to the radio for music purposes since the late-90s.
    AM talk radio is what I work in, and veer into more than FM.

19. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

What I miss the most about radio are hosts that wowed me with their music choices, blending a number of songs into a set that engaged my mind, my emotions, or simply made we want to tap my toes.

Then some pithy information or comments before quickly getting back to another two or three songs in a row.

Now it's more often one song (DJ talks over music intro) and then a too quick fade out (DJ talks over extro) before he-she blathers on about nothing worth hearing before going into a set of commercials.

University-college radio and some public broadcasters are the last bastions of what radio can achieve when it doesn't reduce the audience to the lowest common denominator.

20. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

More or less, but what I really enjoy is how the deep classic rock cuts or newer rock is mixed in. For example, the big classic rock station in Portland still occasionally plays a Maine band called The Blend, who released two albums for MCA around 1980. Stephen King owns a classic rock station in Bangor, but they play a lot of James McMurtry and I heard the new Weezer single the last time I listened.

21. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The last time I turned the radio on was in 1985.

22. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer Member

I still listen to ESPN, but I've never really listened to music on it.

23. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

There used to be some decent college radio stations around the Detroit area in the early 90s, but they dried up around that time, too it seems. I haven't listened to commercial radio since at least then. NPR in the morning now and that's about it.

24. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like listening to franchised morning shows, though I haven't heard one in awhile. Bob and Tom was a favorite... way better than local yucksters trying to sound like they're the hippest thing in town.

25. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

When I was about 15, so about 1977. As soon as I could afford to buy the music I wanted I stopped listening to radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.