When did Rod Stewart jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Right after the 1998 cd

2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Do You Think I’m Sexy and beyond that.

3. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

This could be seen as a shark-jump, but as a non-Stewart fan, this for me is Rod the Mod's greatest three minutes…

Mulderre likes this.
  4. BraveLion

BraveLion Forum Resident

Signing with Warner Brothers

Jerjo likes this.
  5. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Those first 3 solo records , the Faces and the 2 Beck albums seem to be the best of Rod but there are occasional glimpses of the old Rod , the Rod who listened to Sam Cooke and David Ruffin before going out on stage ,the Rod who wrote and made meticulous arrangements of Maggie May , Reason to Believe and Mandolin Wind ,the Rod who adapted covers like "Cut Across Shorty' and 'Im Losing You' and made them seem like Rod originals .

You get a pretty good glimpse of old Rod on 'Unplugged and Seated' from 1993 ,after that it seems that Rod succumbed to the Big Time Charley club ,which means that he can get away with recording poorly arranged and recorded nonsense ………….his 4 volume American Songbook is a case in point .

6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

However Rod's career has played out, I just can't deny that this is a gem.

7. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Rod jumped the shark around the same time that Fonzie did.

mtvgeneration, dylankicks and somnar like this.
  8. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

+1 ... when vintage acts turn to full albums of cover songs, it's a sure sign they have run out of steam.

9. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

When Ronnie Lane left the Faces.

10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I almost want to say when he came out with "Love Touch" in the mid-80's. That was really weak single with a bad movie tie-in. But he had a few other singles after that I did enjoy like "Forever Young" and "Downtown Train." By the 90's he was pretty much washed up.

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Steampacket. ;) No but seriously, that Jeff Beck Group was the best band he was ever apart of and for me anyway his absolute peak. YMMV :hide:

Matthew Tate and johnnyyen like this.
  12. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I didn't know (and only learned yesterday) that The Police's "Peanuts" was, according to Sting, "about my disappointment with Rod Stewart, who became a big joke when he used to be a big hero."

So in Sting's book, I guess it was 40 years ago at least.

Deek57 and somnar like this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If I met him in person, that’s what I would tell him. He’s a legend, and he wore it well.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like posting the following in every relevant Rod Stewart thread.........

Little Steven (Van Zandt) once said on the Underground Garage that Rod Stewart had the greatest output (frequency) in the shortest amount of time in rock music history. 8 albums in 3+ years between the Jeff Beck Group, Faces, and early solo albums. (Greater output in that short of time than the Beatles). He then went in to suck.

laf848, painted8, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I guess I'll say the same thing I always say when this comes up. I don't get why Rod Stewart gets singled out for this. Just about very artist you can name did their best work in their first decade or so. That's just the way it goes but somehow Rod gets beat up for it and others don't. It's weird. And stupid.

laf848, duggan, JoeRockhead and 8 others like this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That's where I'd put it, too. 1967 ~ 1974 was his golden age, both as a lead singer for the various groups he was in and his simultaneous solo career starting in 1969.

Deek57 likes this.
  17. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Have to agree with "Atlantic Crossing" -even kind of show in the cover art too

OldSoul and SteveS1 like this.
  18. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Yes good point.

19. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Agreed.

20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

When did using the term "jumped the shark" to indicate an artist losing artistic integrity jump the shark?

Sorry, I just don't like the term. I have never in my life heard a real human being that is not on an internet forum use the term.

303 Squadron likes this.
  21. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Rod, like many of his contemporaries lost a bit of the old fastball after his peak, and although putting out many mediocre releases you could still find a diamond or two in the rough with each one. You could say he jumped the shark on the album that contains this cut. But even in 2018 he still can put on a show. And a two minute guitar solo to boot!

Hep Alien and cmcintyre like this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Great personality but his solo albums can stay away from my collection!

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Though to be fair, at least Rod hated "Love Touch", too! :D

It's unclear if he already hated it when he recorded it but got coerced into it or if he grew to hate it, but after 1986, he rarely played it live.

I saw Rod twice in 1988 and he didn't play it. IIRC, he did mockingly sing a snippet from it - disdain oozed from his tanned pores! :laugh:

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

When he crossed the Atlantic.

Deek57 likes this.
  25. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

With all the wonderful options to experience the Great American Songbook, that anyone would choose Rod Stewart seriously disappoints me.
    A friend actually gave me a copy of it, and I could not get rid of it fast enough.

dmiller458 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.