When did Rod Stewart jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

If you believe in jumping the shark, Rod jumped back and forth several times during his illustrous career. That must have been pretty tiresome on the shark.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think this topic was my first thread here over 8 years ago...........
    Some people said he jumped when JBG broke up, which shocked me.
    Anyway, my choice is Smiler. While it has a killer version of Sweet Little Rock and Roller, the fast numbers just lay there. I like the Elton song a lot, too.
    Paul's song is definitely not his best (it's essentially the sax solo in Mrs. Vanderbilt expanded) It's not good when Sam Cooke lover Rod can't make You Send Me crackle.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nah - the shark's just chillin' in the ocean, doing usual shark stuff. Rod's the one who'd be exhausted from all the jumping!

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My Mom's loved Rod since around 2002 :angel:

5. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I bought Never a Dull Moment last week (I've always loved Every Picture...) & this was good advice. I actually think Dull Moment might be the better album although that's possibly because it's new on me.

I prefer You Wear It Well to Maggie May too & have done for years.

rs4951, duggan and DME1061 like this.
  6. I dont know what "jumping the Shark" means.:shake:

7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  8. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Glad you enjoy it! My favorite song between the two is "Every Picture Tells A Story", but I like Never a Dull Moment just a bit more as an album.

Mook likes this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Wholeheartedly agree.

Mama You Been On My Mind is breathtaking, the definitive version.

Mook likes this.
  10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Although side 2 of Every Pic probably trumps everything, only the title track on side 1 matches that standard IMO. Never dull doesn't peak as high nor trough as low as Every Pic..

11. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like some of his disco / synth driven 80's songs. I would say the 90's into the 00's was when he just stopped caring.

12. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

"Smiler." was the turning point...some bad tracks though " Sweet rock'roll...." and "Farewell" are among his best.....

peachyg72 likes this.
  13. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Most artists reach a point where they stop writing/recording decent songs, and just start making "this sounds like me" noises for the length of an album. Rod took a lot longer than most.

Up through Tonight I'm Yours, and maybe even Body Wishes, I was finding enough on each album to justify buying it... although it was definitely getting harder (and it'd have been cheaper to just buy the singles). Camouflage, though, was the end. I actually felt embarrassed for him after hearing "All Right Now."

14. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

A Beck/Stewart tour would be cool.

Ahhh, Rod, what could’ve been.

peachyg72 likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Young sharks run free. :D

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

When an artist or a series or whatever can have many different shark jumps you beat the odds. Sir Stewart wins.

17. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

There is no low trough on EPTAS :mad:
    IMHO it is the most perfectly constructed and perfectly sounding rock album of all time. Zero filler.
    So there :p
    :D

steve722 and Deek57 like this.
  18. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

"The Killing of Georgie" and "Tonight's the Night" from the Night On the Town album was the beginning of the end. The preceding Atlantic Crossing was just a sh-tty album.

steve722 likes this.
  19. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

a Jeff Beck reunion album almost happened within the last decade. He said that he'd like do a JBF/Faces supergroup tour.

peachyg72 likes this.
  20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

When did Rod Stewart jump the shark?
    Wake up there Maggie he jumped it very early on

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

☺. I came to Rod late (1983) and quite frankly find Side 1, bar the opener, average at best. That's alright is no better than many solid album tracks from right through his career, Amazing Grace is lost because you have to wade through the aforementioned song to get to it and the other two songs are ok but nowhere near mindblowing. Side 2 is streets ahead.

Two decades or so ago I blogged about this view noting that,at the time, none of those Side 1 tracks had featured on a Mercury Rod comp but all of Never Dull's songs had.

I know this puts me in the minority, but that's music for ya.

Hep Alien and Wugged like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That was me. I don't know whether or not it would work but I suspect it would involve Rod going back to traditional Blues.

Hep Alien and John B Good like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

When ?
    Blame the peroxide bottle.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

IMO he put out solid albums until " A Night On The Town". Footloose and Fancy Tree has two songs I like. After that I don't like him again until Vagabond Heart & some of the Unplugged.

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw your post and realized I have not listened to this album ina long time, so I gave it a shot.
    I always can find songs on Rods albume that I like. I was surprised to find a few songs that I like.
    I'm not trying to invalidate your post, I'm just saying that these three songs are some that I enjoy
    and thank you for reminding me of the album. :)

Better Off Dead
    So Soon We Changed
    She Won't Dance With Me

laf848, Hep Alien and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.