When did "THE END" at the end of movies end?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems around the mid to late 60s studios quit putting The End when a movie was over,I don't think any movie I have ever seen from the past 30 years that's did it.Any ideas why it stopped?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It offended someone.

Mike Rivera, Benno123, Andrew and 2 others like this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Remember sitting in cinemas watching the credits as part of the film, when all had left. Based on the novel by, was my main source books.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

................ It ended ... at the end.......
    :rolleyes:

Deesky likes this.
  5. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Maybe it had to do with Coppola starting Apocalypse Now with the End.

Remurmur, chacha and R. Totale like this.
  6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Perhaps when the Godfather films showed the power of the "franchise", studios became hesitant to definitely proclaim that a story was finished....

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Can we stop for a moment to admire the thread title?

Remurmur, dlokazip, mbrennem and 9 others like this.
  8. I suspect it has something to do with the introduction of long final credit sequences - the time they came in is about the same time "The End" titles became less common.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

In other words, blame the actor's unions...

10. It sounds a bit like a doo wop lyric: "When did 'The End' at the end of movies end?/Who put a stop to the woppa-loppa-doo-bop?" :D

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe when the credits started coming at the end instead of the beginning of the movie?

THE END

Yankee8156, John B Good and Mal like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"When did the end,
    the love you take,
    is equal to the love.....
    you make."

13. Not so much the actors - seeing as a movie's key actors were usually listed in a screen or two after "The End" title - as the cameramen and Best Boys and foley artists and everyone else.

14. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

I though maybe the idea of a sequel would mean it would not be the end of the story ,but sequels as a rule (any movie that makes X amount of money)didn't come til much later,if I'm not mistaken.

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

One thing I always appreciated about Stanley Kubrick was that he made sure to finish each of his films with a proper "THE END" at the end of the credits.

driverdrummer and Ghostworld like this.
  16. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Or in the case of some European films, FIN (french for The End)
    So when it FIN also take a dive, as it were? :laugh:

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There's never been any " rules " when it came to on screen credits. Up for grabs, whatever the filmmaker decides.

That's what I read several years ago, anyway.

18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I think the first French word I learned was when I was in preschool and my Mother and I were watching an old French movie (dubbed) and my Mother told me that Fin was French for End.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

IIRC, for LOST IN TRANSLATION, director Sofia Coppola had to get permission from somebody (Screen Actors Guild???) to position the actor credits fully at the end of the film, with no credits, aside from a title card, at the beginning.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And you had the occasional play on the end phrase with "THE END?" I guess the question mark is redundant nowadays. :)

Dino likes this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't think that's true. There have been lots of films that have no credits until the end, since long before that. Or do they all have to get permission?

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The ACME of all The Ends...

[​IMG]

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I always thought "The End" was too final. :)

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Star Wars was a big part of that. George Lucas lobbied hard in 1977 to open with just the studio logo, the production company logo, the movie's title, and then -- bang -- go right into the movie without delay, and throw all the credits at the end. I think there are pros and cons to this, and note that all the Indiana Jones films did use traditional "above the line" credits at the head, and then all the below-the-line credits at the end and a "The End" as well.

Some films still use a "The End" at the end, so it's not 100%. But I think it's perceived as kind of a hokey convention and the assumption is that audiences are hip enough, they know the movie is over.

Maybe a bigger question is: what was the first movie to throw in extra bits of story during the credits, like almost all the Marvel movies?

captainsolo and Thwacko like this.
  25. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

I do like the French "FIN.", Very classy. When did they start putting the blooper reel in the end credits? I remember the 70's Burt Reynolds 'smokey and the Bandit' movies ending like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.