When did vinyl become mainstream again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SixOClockBoos, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie Thread Starter

Does anyone have an approximation of when vinyl began becoming super mainstream. I want to say it was around 2014, but maybe some people could provide sources, charts, graphs, etc. Thanks! :)

2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I started buying LPs again about 12 years ago.

I've felt better ever since!

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm not really sure..

I don't think it ever really went away, but I'd say it became 'mainstream' again within the last five years. A lot of people unimpressed with downloads and sick of brickwalled CDs have moved to vinyl.

4. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

I just returned to vinyl recently, and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to have a physical copy of the music in your hand. The idea of getting completely immersed in an album really hits you when you are at home listening to a vinyl record.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Its not mainstream.

scobb, Freebird, albertop and 36 others like this.
  6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

it really began with the popularization of DJ culture in the mid-late 90s. think odelay and certain rock bands incorporating a full-time DJ member.

then it spread to music heads in general, then to the music-interested public at large. this is when I noticed vinyl prices at used record stores starting to inflate and unexpected people beginning to own records. I'd say this was 2005 or so.

by 2010, the whole thing had exploded into the general mainstream. vinyl was appearing at places like urban outfitters and records I bought for a dollar of which there were previously dozens and dozens of used copies (looking at you, aja) suddenly held some value.

it's still kind of weird. I miss wings albums complete with tchotchkes for $1 (I have ten band on the run posters), and crazy finds like cabaret voltaire for $2.50.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Kubricker, Sean, SuntoryTime and 2 others like this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

When the only record player in Curry's (an UK electrical store) is a pink colored Crosley with in built speakers, then it's not mainstream.

Stillhouse, jdjones, Andrew J and 6 others like this.
  8. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

I think it happened pretty soon after the marketing board meetings wrapped up.

:righton:

Porkpie and PanaPlasma like this.
  9. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I dunno. I'm seeing vinyl and turntables in just every advertisement where there is an element of coolness in a home setting. I don't see any eight tracks...lol

PanaPlasma, Vinyl_Blues and drasil like this.
  10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its not mainstream, its still a niche product. Yes, lp's have made somewhat of a comeback, but they still trail just about every other format out there, other than extremely niche stuff like cassette or reel to reel.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Purple Jim, Sean, wayneklein and 5 others like this.
  11. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

It is not mainstream~

12. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Despite a huge bump in sales, it never got into the mainstream and it's very unlikely to get the same market share as streaming and CDs.
    It's a niche that grew much bigger, but still a niche.

wayneklein and starduster like this.
  13. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

It's art, poetry. You can smell it and hold it, look at it and turn it around and kiss it and treat it with caution or use it as a freesbee. It's for people with a broader horizon and an improved sense of smell, touch, sound, etc....

unravelled, AidanB, Sean and 5 others like this.
  14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Is there some new definition of mainstream i don't know about.

scobb, timind, Grant and 2 others like this.
  15. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

I agree with the "it's not mainstream" sentiment.

Apart from that: I saved a clipping from a Dutch newspaper from 1995 (yes, 1995) that talks about 'the comeback of the LP', with a smaller headline that reads 'Dutch music industry responds sceptically'. Meanwhile someone has confirmed that they've seen articles from at least a year earlier that state the same. It's all just history repeating itself :)

[​IMG]

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's an understatement :cheers::cheers:

17. It's certainly still not mainstream, but vinyl has become popular every year ever since I started collecting in 2003.

Grant and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Looking forward to all the sources, charts, graphs, etc.

melstapler, clhboa, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

vinyl is not mainstream again in any way shape or form. it is a niche thing right now and is most likely destined to fade away again. it is a fad right now and it is cool among kids because their parents had CD's and they are trying to be different.

every single release on friday is released on CD, and the older music is getting re-released on CD weekly also.

this in NOT happening with vinyl. it seem that way on this forum because many of the people here still like vinyl, and that's OK, it just isn't like that in the world out there.

starduster likes this.
  20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

last mainstream about 1990

Sean and starduster like this.
  21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Same thread. Different title . Here we go again.

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It's not, but the appeal for consumers outside of hardcore music fans has certainly increased over the last five years. If you're just living on the Internet and buying your records from Amazon, etc., you're not seeing it, but if you go into actual stores, aging male music fans are far from the only ones buying vinyl at this point. Whether the renewed appeal of vinyl is sustainable over any kind of long term is open to debate, obviously, but there has definitely been a shift in the public perception of a format once considered dead.

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I don't know what new releases you're talking about, but I haven't bought a CD in close to a decade at this point and every new release I've wanted -- new content or reissue -- is readily available on vinyl.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's Wednesday.

We have a fresh new Loudness Wars thread started up down the page as well. Have you heard of The Loudness Wars? Check out the charts and graphs!

Lucidae, melstapler, AidanB and 6 others like this.
  25. Mainstream? I have the biggest vinyl collection of anyone I personally know, 2 LPs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.