When did you first get a color TV and what was your reaction

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

My parents got their first color TV when I was five years old or so in 1971, we couldn't really afford one from a store, so my dad and his friend built one from a kit. Probably one from Heathkit, I would guess. It finally died on us in 1981, which was a good run. Like many others here, the first time I saw "The Wizard Of Oz" I was just amazed when the color part of the movie started.

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I loved that too. I first saw "The Wizard of Oz" in color in 1968 on the color TV of some people I was baby-sitting for. They had a big RCA console, and I remember being amazed at how they handled the transition with the interior of the house very dimly lit to appear to be B&W while outside the door Oz is revealed in all its glory!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

NBC broadcast the real deal when the did OZ. A genuine 35mm Technicolor print. Pristine. Got to see it projected for both the east coast and the west coast feed at KNBC Color City in 1975. A real treat. They were still using 1954 21" color RCA monitors but the color was amazing.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Growing up with my mom and my older brother living at my Grandmother's house, we had a Zenith Roundie Color set in the living room. When I was 4 years old and had an infected left hip, the record shop/TV shop gave me a discontinued model Magnavox Stereo Theater and a lot of LP discs and a 8 track machine and tapes to keep me occupied when I could not get out. Loved music when little, still do today. The Stereo Theater had a color Roundie screen. Loved it. When it died after a direct lightning hit 5 years later, got a Sony Trinitron 15" set.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The folks got a Zenith in '67-68. 25"? Wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't impressive. I guess it was neat to see Batman, and the various rock acts on Sullivan and Smothers Bros, in something resembling color.

Didn't think much about it later when I bought a cheap B&W after I got out of the Navy in 73. Lasted til the late 80s; when it died, I splurged and paid a premium for a Proton (Germany?) 27" 480p CRT. Incredible, crystal clear pic with a mild 3D feel, perfectly (for 1988) adjustable color, blacks same as the black bezel in the dark. Just amazing. It lasted 15 years or so.

Replaced it with a 32" Panasonic CRT; it's OK, but it's no Proton. As much as I enjoy setting up big Hi-Def flatscreens for friends, I $orta don't care if the Panny is the last TV I own.

6. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

RCA in 1966. Loved that Peacock!

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Mid-'70s, my parents got a gigantic (25"?) Zenith with its own cart. Continued to use this set 'til my dad passed away in '95.

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I wonder which shows did not do as well in color as they did in B&W? Did some shows end just prior to the converstion to color because they would not convert? I know that I much prefer the B&W Bewitched episodes. I also thought Dark Shadows worked better in B&W.

9. Steve Hoffman

They all were better in black & white. Just think about THE AVENGERS, etc. Perfect in monochrome. In color the mystery was gone, the shadows gone, the camerawork gone. The only show that looks better in color was MY FAVORITE MARTIAN!

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Steve, do you think that the reason for that is that the camera operators and DPs were so used to shooting in B&W, that they had a difficult time adapting to a new format? I know that lighting for effective color cinematography is very different from monochrome. Also, I've personally found that shows that were in color from the beginning (like "Bonanza") seemed to have really good photography, whereas shows like the aforementioned "Avengers" seemed to forget about composition and lighting. In other words they were just going through the motions thinking that the switch to color was all that was required.

I loved "My Favorite Martian" and the color episodes looked every bit as good as the monochrome ones. I also think that "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." made a pretty seamless transition to color, though I thought the writing in the last season got a little absurd. It still looked good though. :)

11. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it did. (UNCLE).

I think that the more candlepower needed to shoot color (and have it be bright enough for the color TV's of the day) made everything look too lit and that the old-time DP's didn't know what to do with it. It took longer to light therefore the number of shots made a day went way down. So, the camera setups got fewer, the shadows vanished and at the same time (unrelated) the scripts seemed to get worse for most shows after 1965.

I could write a book!

12. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

You should! I love learning about stuff like this. I suspect strongly that had I grown up in LA like you did, I would have pursued a career as a cinematographer. I loved photography as a hobby, but it never occurred to me to think of it as a career until I had already finished college. To me, the technical aspects of film-making (including television) are as interesting (if not moreso) than the finished product.

13. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

The black-and-white episodes of Lost in Space were far better than the colour ones. At the time they were first screened, of course, I saw all the episodes in b&w. Many of the later episodes were very repetitive in the sense that they appeared to be Dr Zachary Smith gets into trouble etc. So it was down to the writing and acting rather than the colour/monochrome issue. I find it fascinating watching some early (in UK terms) colour shows. Some could have been shot yesterday in terms of picture quality (in SD terms). But others look quite odd, especially those made using tape....one episode of the long-running "Hadleigh", for example, has a scene shot using three cameras in which the colour from each camera looks markedly different. One character has a shirt which looks like pale lemon on one camera, almost green on another and yellow on the third.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Our family didn't have a color TV until 1970. However, I'll never forget my first encounter with a color TV, very early 1960's. When I was small, I was extremely sensitive to the sound of the flyback transformer used in the TVs of the early 60's. This one was so loud, you could hear the 14khz tone practically through a closed door. I was entranced by the hyped-up, mistracking color images.

Now we have a wonderful looking Panasonic LCD display. The cats love it:

[​IMG]

15. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Like all South Africans we only got TV of any kind in the Mid 70"s. Yep its true the ruling party deemed TV immoral (maybe they were right), but to the point always had a colour TV so wouldnt know what a B&W picture looked like.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

We used to watch Superman with George Reeves in B&W and the eps filmed in colour looked completely different. I'm pretty sure even when colour TV came in they still showed B&W prints of some shows here.

In the newspaper in Thick as a Brick I think they list 'Disney's Wonderful World of Colour (B&W)' :laugh:

17. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

Which reminds me of the continuity announcer saying "And now our afternoon film, Red River, which is in black-and-white."

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

There is one just like yours still working to this day in my living room. :)

19. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

My parents got one in the early 60s. The first show I remember in color was Bonanza. What a treat!

20. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I was also sensitive to the sound of the flyback transformer as a child. So much so, that could hear it through a closed door. If we went to someone's home I could tell before we walked in whether or not their TV set was on.

21. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I was too. The amount of sound a flyback put out depended on how well it is potted and the ferrite core bonded. Also, capacitors in the circuit make noise too. Later sets put out less noise plus as we go through puberty, for us males, our extreme HF hearing drops off since the ear parts get bigger. Females can hear higher pitches than males, on average, which is easily demonstrated with an audio oscillator.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think my folks bought their first color TV in the mid-'60s. Big ol' thang, too.

Rock Stamberg

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Excellent!

I'm sure mine would've lasted longer if not for the unshielded center speaker that sat close to it for years. I went out of my way to get the retailer to ensure they were shielded, but one way or another it was misrepresented.

A really fine TV. One wonders if their current LCD continues the tradition.

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Never had one as my step-father was waiting until it was perfected. lol Cheap, cheap, cheap.

My best friend in HS had one and I thought the colors were overs saturated and not very realistic, but it was a beginning of which every every new piece of technology must come out of the egg, no matter how imperfect. Bonanza and the Wonderful World of Disney. To see where we are now and what a great picture can be bought with $300 is pretty amazing.

I still remember our old 21" Motorola black and white tv with the old rotary tuner that had to be cleaned with contact cleaner every year and those goofy yagi antennas on the roof. Still, out of Chicago could pick up 2 cbs,5 nbc, ,7 abc ,9(wgn and the cubs and sox), 11, and later 32. Garfield Goose with Frazier Thomas, Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, and 2-Ton Baker-a Pirate with a piano and Popeye cartoons. Off at midnight.

25. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

My Grand Parents got a 25" Zenith color TV in 1960(I believe). One of the first things I remeber was the Parade of Roses and Rose Bowl. I remember Wisconsin and an upper West Coast team(1960 Washington Vs Wisconsin). Also, Bonanza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.