When did you first hear about Nick Drake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Kelly, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Volkswagen commercial

KDubATX and ARK like this.
  2. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

1985. Heaven In A Wild Flower. John Martyn talked warmly about him in a Radio 1 interview one Saturday morning, and then they played 'Fruit Tree'. I thought it was gorgeous and bought the LP later that week.

3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

My dad got the Made To Love Magic compilation a short time after it came out - he's a lifelong fan of John Martyn and was interested in the connection. Neither of us liked the compilation very much, and I realise why, the modern remixes are overbaked and revisionist. Years later, I was getting into a lot of melancholy stuff like early Microdisney, so I checked out Pink Moon. I loved it and began to check out the other albums Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Time Of No Reply. Northern Sky was the first song which actually made my jaw drop in its beauty. I definitely think the mixes on Time Of No Reply are far superior to Made To Love Magic.

I definitely feel I can relate to Nick. There are similarities in my backstory especially the living abroad. He is the poster boy for the fact that it doesn't matter how good your life is, depression can still follow you around wherever you go.

4. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Garish, Musicisthebest and crozcat like this.
  5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Around 1975. I think I actually started listening to him before I realised he was dead. My memory of that period isn't very good.

6. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Record library loans turned me on to a few things, too.

7. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I'm guessing late 80's/early 90's . I was at a Used CD Store that still sold records and there was a used LP copy of Fruit Tree on display at the counter for a very good price.

I had heard about Nick Drake but had not heard any of his material, so as I still had a working turntable at the time, I thought ...."Mine."

The owner of the shop, who had a rep for being a bit surly at times, was working the counter that day and his eyes lit up when I picked it. It was his duplicate copy and he uncharacteristically showered me with praise for my choice!

And of course he turned out to be most correct....:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'd say mid-70s.

I knew the name and knew who "Solid Air" was about (think my brother had the SA album) but never got round to buying Bryter/Five Leaves until mid-1980s. I was more interested in Martyn himself before that who had the distinct advantage of being alive and touring.

Kudos to Joe Boyd for ensuring that his albums stayed in print and the story that he tells in White Bicycles about John Cale's involvement with "Northern Sky" and "Fly" is a classic.

9. Remurmur

Same here. Still....:righton:

Alan2 likes this.
  10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I heard Pink Moon in a Volkswagon commercial and then shortly after that I read an interview with Genesis P. Orridge, where he extolled the virtues of Five Leaves left. I picked up a copy of Pink Moon and have been a big fan ever since.

11. Remurmur

And kudos to Volkswagen for doing that...:)

ARK and jkauff like this.
  12. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Thanks! :righton:
    IIRC this article was also were I first understood that he could be worth listening to - and was/is he! :D

13. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

There's probably one guy (or woman) at VW's ad agency single-handedly responsible for the resuscitation of Nick's career. Wish we knew who it was.

ARK and Remurmur like this.
  14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I was another who became a big fan after the VW commercial, even though I am in the age group that was big into music when he was putting out records. I just never got exposed to him then. I'm not sure I would have been into him at the time, as I was more into heavy music then, but who knows. I'm glad I know of him now and I bought the Fruit Tree LP box.

15. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

VW - with the acoustic guitar renaissance of the 90's

16. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I think it was around 1977 or so when I bought both The Greater Antilles Sampler (99 cents!) which leads off with Nick's "Northern Sky" and the Island Records Bumpers sampler which has "Hazey Jane I". The Nick cuts really didn't do much for me at that time and really I had bought these because they were incredibly inexpensive and I was more interested in the other artists featured.

Fast forward to 1989 when I had just changed jobs and felt like I needed a new area of music to explore. So I was getting into the Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson releases when I decided to go all out and ended up buying the US pressing of the Fruit Tree box (Hannibal). That's when I finally "got it" as far as Nick's music goes.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Alan2 likes this.
  17. Remurmur

Same here. But bless them nonetheless...:righton:

ARK likes this.
  18. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

In 74/75 there was a big article about him on, I guess, NME or Melody Maker that made me curious. Same with Gram Parsons. Of course I had to check both, and became a fan of Drake. Not so much of Parsons.

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

1969 - on the Nice Enough To Eat Island Records sampler LP

[​IMG]

nsmith1002 and Emberglow like this.
  20. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Some car commercial, where they played Pink Moon. Good song!

ARK likes this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Around 1976, there was a terrific Nick Kent piece on him in the NME, and the Antilles reissues had just come out.

22. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I heard about Nick Drake many years ago, knew his story, but not his music - until the VW commercial. Then around 2005, I picked up a CD copy of Pink Moon. Nick is on my list of things to look for in vintage vinyl whenever I go record shopping. I've only come across a few copies of Pink Moon that were too beat up to buy.

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

About 10 years ago I was spending a lot of time on the Rate Your Music web site, checking out reviews and lists and such. I was looking at their all time best albums list one day, smugly saying to myself "got it, got it, got it." when I came across Five Leaves Left. It was rated like in the top ten of all time. I had to sadly admit "I don't got it". In fact, I ain't never even heard of it! So luckily for me our library had a copy of that great album and away I went. I think its safe to say I really, REALLY like him. My wonderful, tolerant, amazing wife surprised me with the Fruit Tree box set shortly thereafter.

24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade Thread Starter

After I read about Nick Drake the first song I listened to on YouTube was "Pink Moon". It sounded vaguely familiar so I had probably heard it in the commercial, but I know I had never heard the name "Nick Drake" at the time of the commercial.

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Pretty much my story, too - I was following Martyn who namechecked him in interviews, when I saw the Antilles Bryter Layter I bought it and went from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.