When (if?) Bob Dylan retires ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NaturalD, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop Thread Starter

If Bob Dylan ever decides he is "retired" he would probably just quit with no announcement or fanfare, right? I noticed today there are no concert dates on the horizon, and he's 78 now. Could it be . . .?

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Please ...

MRamble and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

When that day comes Ted Williams will lean over and say "there goes the greatest lyricist that ever lived". And he'll get no disagreement from me.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The guy can’t take a season off from the road?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. NaturalD

A person can't ponder something and invite speculation? I must have gotten some wrong ideas about this forum.

6. noname74

Far be it from me to tell someone what to ponder however pondering about someone that’s been in music as long as Dylan has isn’t just going to just retire and not tell anyone. Just because he’s not on the road this minute doesn’t mean anything other than he’s doing something else. Hopefully not making another Sinatra covers album though. :D

7. Chev

Chev Forum Resident

We'd need to come up with another name for the Never Ending Tour?

8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

It depends how long he lives, but I think he'll die with his boots on. He's still pretty "spry", as they say. Here he is last month in London

9. NaturalD

You think he will do a "farewell tour" or something? OK. I think one day he will be done, and eventually it will sink in.

10. NaturalD

He *could* go the Chuck Berry route. But I wonder when the last time was there were zero future dates announced. I'd love for Bob to quietly disappear while he has some active years to relax. He has given plenty and I've been lucky enough to see a few shows the past 10 years.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he'll know when he's ready and so will we, but we may know it first!
    : ) can't condemn the man for loving the road and it's not like his voice has gotten worse it was always pretty bad! but at times it was good...I LOVE BOB since I was a teen...

12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I don't think he would ever do a "farewell" tour either. He's just not that kind of guy. He could just stop and disappear, but I even find that hard to imagine. I think at this point he lives to perform, odd as that may seem, for someone who was for decades described as "reclusive". I think the only thing that would stop him is ill-health.

13. NaturalD

I doubt that and it even sounds a little sad. I assume he has loved ones that are his main joy of living.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  14. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

With the boring concerts and Sinatra albums... In my mind he retired 10 years ago and it's nice.

15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

His autobiography was supposed to be three books long. So far only Chronicles Volume 1, has been published - and that was in 2005.
    I imagine he's working on these.
    Also, his Whiskey company is opening a huge facility in the South.
    Or he's painting.
    Or smelting iron (or whatever it is he does with metal works.)
    Or onto something entirely new.

I do not think though, that he would ever announce a farewell tour.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

whatever we think bob will do....he wont..... but I do doubt he'd do a farewell tour....wouldn't be shocked if he just takes a break and doesn't come back

Paul W, Archtop and NaturalD like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yes...it' s time to retire alright. Retire the American Songbook thing and put out an all original songs album.
    How long has it been since ' Tempest ' anyway?

paulmccartneyistheman and Sean like this.
  18. NaturalD

Is there any way we could bet on that? :D

ianuaditis and Elliottmarx like this.
  19. noname74

Not sure he’d do a tour but I think he’d say publicly he was done touring and spending time on his whiskey or whatever else he’s doing these days.

20. NaturalD

To me that seems very un-Bob-like.

21. noname74

If you told me 10 years ago he’d release three albums of standards (5 if you count the 3 CD set as 3) and he is hawking Bob Dylan Whiskey I would have said that didn’t sound like Bob either.

22. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Very odd that there are no upcoming tour dates. I can't remember the last time I checked his website and that was the case. I don't think ever.

Sean, MPLRecords and NaturalD like this.
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Bob Dylan could tour while just working on his art welding metal while on stage.
    And I’d bet many would pay to watch him create.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I can't make a "Bob Dylan Farewell Tour" make sense in my mind. I see him going the quieter route, just not booking anymore dates. Eventually, people will get the drift after a year of no live shows, and then press will start asking him and he'll either not grant an interview, or release a low-key statement at that time saying he has no plans to tour at this time. Leaving it open ended for one-off concerts, a festival appearance, Farm Aid set, etc.

Personally, I think he has one more original album in him. Maybe he's getting off the road to focus solely on that because he thinks it is probably his last?

25. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I always go see him when he comes through my way. I hate to think I won't have tbat pleasure again. I enjoy it every time.

Sean, rednax, GoodKitty and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.