When is the color black trend in AV components going to end?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Isaac K., Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I recommend the judicious application of electrical tape over LEDs where appropriate.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Many products in this country are offered in both, but only one is readily available.

3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was referring more to the consumer end of the scale, like under $1,000. There are certainly a lot more options the more you're willing to spend, but for a more average shmoe like me it's either black or maybe find something used. But now I'm eyeing a couple of cheaper silver Jolida tube amps that look pretty sweet... :)

4. Isaac K.

What, move to England? Hook me up with a work visa and a job and I'll be right over. ;)

5. Isaac K.

I'm sure. The real tough question is, though, "Could I do better?"

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

There were silver components made for the US market recently. My Onkyo TX-SR505 HT receiver and 506 DVD-based uni player are in silver. I also have a TEAC Distinction series integrated amp in silver, which I purchased from J&R. Pioneer had silver HT receivers about 3-4 years ago. Yamaha currently has a line if integrated amps available in silver. Same with the Oppo 105.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

True, but I feel there are less then there used to be though, even when you go through back channels. Think the gorgeous Marantz reference gear that used to be available here in the champagne gold color, and still is in every other market.

8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

'Paint It Black' ...

Forever.

(FYI: black and white are not colors.)

Grant and Tim 2 like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Bad picture but black is beautiful baby.

hotobucket.com/user/tmsorosk/media/DSC00158_zpsz5shhlzr.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Ham Sandwich, Tremaindous and Grant like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's a cool looking VCR.

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You really need to get out more.

12. Grant

Correct. Basically, white is the absence of color, and black is the absorption of all colors.

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Now, now, let's not get all technical.....:shrug:

14. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I insist on all black equipment since it is in my living room. My wife doesn't want to look at bright colored or silver equipment in this part of the house.

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Isaac K.

It depends. Are we talking about light or paint? White is all the colors of the visible light spectrum but in art, black is all colors blended together.

16. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

I kind of like the look of my Naim stuff. Simple black boxes with a green logo.

Tim 2 and Shiver like this.
  17. Grant

That doesn't sound correct.

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The shame of the matter, in just about every other market in the world you have the choice between black or silver. Here in North America.........black. Ugh!

Rolltide likes this.
  19. Isaac K.

It is. Stick a prism in front of the sun and it creates all of the colors of the rainbow out of white light. Combine all of 6 primary and secondary colors onto a piece of white paper and you get natural black. The rules are different depending upon what you apply them to.

20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I suspect that AV equipment is black so it disappears in a darkened room when watching the video (ignoring the LED's), so there is a functional reason there.
    I do notice the early Quad amps, with their strong design and accent colours (eg. the bright orange). A wonderful piece of mid-century design, and they deserve to be in design books and museums. But I'm not sure I would want the design in my audio rack [note that I'm not making any comments on the audio quality here, that's for another thread].

21. John76

John76 Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I purchased a Yamaha AS-301 integrated amp to use with a pair of speakers along with my television. I chose black because it was to sit on a shelf above the television. I was pleased when Comcast notified me to replace my silver cable box with a new one that was black. It all looks better on that shelf with the black components and the black grille cloth from the speakers that flank them. To me silver is distracting in an AV setting though it does looks nice on its own.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Kristofa likes this.
  22. Isaac K.

I'm sort of considering the A-S701, but maybe I'll swing for a Jolida JD 102CRC and buy an external DAC. What I really need to do is find a dealer where I can audition these rigs but that's a tall order. Silver doesn't bother me because all of my components are about 5-6 ft. to the right of my TV.

23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Yeah, black was really cool in the early 80s... when it was new. I'm over it now.

I understand the functionality of it, but at the same time if you're trying to use any controls on the front face or load a disk in a darkened room, good luck. To me, the silver faces aren't distracting at all, though I agree that they have a more 'retro' look.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I would guess that things will change about the time I start shopping again because that is my luck. :rolleyes:

Another example was the last time I was speaker shopping everything was Cherry. I don't want speakers with an orange tint! :thumbsdow

I'm a big fan of not seeing the equipment. Black only. Except I splurged on a silver Gumby. I hate the silver look in my equipment rack but the price was right.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like the black Yamaha too, it's just more stylish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.