When people say the Beatles had a "GOON" sense of humor what do they mean?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, May 23, 2018.

1. StillTripping6769

StillTripping6769 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As a Beatles fan this has bugged me as I feel I've been missing out on something. I've heard this reference a number of times over the years in reference to the humor in their songs like You Know My Name and just in general as well like in interviews but it's not clear what it means. When I think of "Goons" I think of "Hockey Goons" and they aren't very friendly, they're like enforcers whose job is to basically bully and beat up players on opposing teams. I would imagine what they think is funny is very degrading, insulting and bullying, whereas the Beatles humor is not, it's more like absurd and weird, so I'm puzzled.

Overall based on that I would not say that "Goon humor" is not a good way to describe the Beatles sense of humor and probably a new descriptor is needed. Any help is much appreciated.

Skywheel likes this.
  2. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes, it's a reference to Peter Sellers' Goon Show- basically a forerunner of Monty Python. Lennon in particular loved them. George Martin produced The Goon Show, and that fact scored Big George yea brownie points in The Beatles' favour.

"You Know My Name" captures a bit of that Goon vibe, especially the funny voices and effects John and Paul used on the track.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And all these years, I thought it was a "GOOD" sense of humor.

;)

marklamb, AnalogJ, BellaLuna and 10 others like this.
  5. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

It goes a bit further than that. Spike Milligan was actually the driving force behind The Goon Show, which was a half hour, weekly show that ran on BBC radio throughout the 1950s and which divided generations at the time just as pop music did later. Nothing had ever been heard like it before. It was almost surrealist in its approach and was hugely influential on generations of comedians that followed, in particular the Monty Python team. The Beatles were huge fans and the show is re-run on British radio to this day, still sounds extraordinary and remains extremely funny. I grew up listening to it in the 70s. The clip above is from a reunion special in 1972 (I think), long after Peter Sellers had found international fame as a movie star.

Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers also made comedy records in their own right. These were produced by George Martin in the late 50s and early 60s and released, often on Parlophone which was largely a comedy label, rather than a music label at the time. The Beatles had heard these too and they were a large reason why the band warmed to Martin as a producer and a large reason why he, in turn, was able to be so sonically inventive on their records.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wow, for the Goons to be totally forgotten while the Beatles' worst aspects are celebrated as genius is certainly... an interesting legacy

7. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Little to add to the above, except that for non-Britons, The Goon Show can be a bit of a head scratcher. But when it isn't so "inside" you can see why it was so influential. As here....

8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Forgotten by whom? They are certainly not forgotten in the UK where they remain revered. Robin Williams, amongst others, was also a huge admirer.

Paulwalrus, fogalu, Maltman and 20 others like this.
  9. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Probably also worth adding that Dick Lester who directed A Hard Day's Night, Help & How I Won The War had worked extensively with members of the Goons too, which similarly to George Martin, cemented his relationship with The Beatles.

Paulwalrus, fogalu, AnalogJ and 8 others like this.
  10. Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris Hipster Doofus

If you're curious about The Goon Show, the original episodes are broadcast several times a week on the BBC's digital channel Radio 4 Extra, and non-UKers can listen online on the website.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Having a sense of humour apart of their image unlike the vast majority of bands since and before was their worst aspect?

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The OP in this thread. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post from the context — I meant no disrespect

No, it wasn't, but they get a free pass for pretty politcally incorrect humour these days I think

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Running, Jumping, Standing Still Film for starters. Credited to Lester and Sellers, though I have read that much of it was down to Milligan. Anyhow, the Beatles loved it and it led to them working with Lester.

I remember some watching well-respected American rock 'critic' who looked like he was auditioning for the Ramones 30 years too late going on and on about how the surreal elements of the Beatles' lyrics were down to drugs. The more I think about it, a lot of it seems to be down to Milligan and Sellers, God bless' em.

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

This should be interesting........

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

This is a thread that Steve Hoffman should post in.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Neddy: “Tie Bluebottle to a stake!”

Bluebottle (shouts): “No, do not tie me to a stake!”

Neddy: “Why not?

Bluebottle: “I’m a vegetarian.”

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

As my daughter says to me about 10x a day: "That's not funny" :)

ohnothimagen, adriatikfan and uzn007 like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Love these Goon Shows.." -John Lennon, "BBC Sessions Vol. 1"

theMess, nikh33 and Andersoncouncil like this.
  19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It must have been thrilling for John to meet Peter Sellers.

20. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

Oh, but it is! ;-)

Until recently, I had 2-3 hour commutes to/from work. I used to listen to a couple of Goon Shows a day.

OptimisticGoat and adriatikfan like this.

21. And ... Matt Monro began his fantastic working relationship with George Martin on the back of recording a satirical song guide track for Peter Sellers, which PS liked so much, he insisted on using it as it was on an album in the early 1960s.

I think I am as grateful to Peter Sellers for that as I am for anything else he did, as it helped launch the career of one of the greatest UK singers, who was admired by, amongst many others, Sinatra himself.

Best Wishes,
    David

Man at C&A, Reader, theMess and 3 others like this.
  22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

goonin' around

marklamb, theMess and ralph7109 like this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, in fairness, the Goons were heard, seen or known well enough or widely enough in the US to be forgotten for the most part.

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I know Steve will hate me for doing this, but you can hear The Goon Show 24 hours a day here:
    GoonShowRadio -
    Stand by to be brainwashed!

25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

In 1963 we grooved to The Telegoons- a 'children's' puppet show specially recorded by Spike, Harry and Peter