When was Eric Clapton Backtrackin' first released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I just got a Japanese release of Eric Clapton Backtrackin' on CD (two-disc set). It may be an older version, but I doubt it is the original version. Here are some particulars for my set:

* It's on the RSO label, and the catalog number is P58W 20005/6.

* It's packaged in a "fat" double-disc jewel case with white disc trays. There is a piece of teal green foam facing disc two.

* There is a white OBI strip adhered to the jewel case, and the back of the OBI strip has a barcode.

* The inserts are in Japanese and English.

* The discs show the red RSO cow. Both discs says "Made in Japan" and "POLYDOR K.K." and also have the JASRAC logo.

* The booklet shows the same artwork on the cover as the front insert. However, the front insert is in color, and the booklet cover is black and white.

* The only copyright date on the discs, booklet, and insert is 1984.

* The discs have a modern-looking matrix code that I have seen on US pressings made at the JVC plant in the late '80s and early '90s.

Anyone have an idea how old this version is? Are there earlier versions of Backtrackin'? Thanks!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Backtrackin' used to be Import only. 1984-1985 or so if mem serves....

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

1984. I have the Euro release of this. One of the first cds I purchased. It was also issued on vinyl as a 2 lp set. There is no earlier cd release.

mud-:D

4. KeithH

Sckott,

Thanks. I remember seeing import copies over the years.

mud,

So you have a European release of Backtrackin' on CD that is the original pressing? Could you give particulars such as the record label, catalog number, etc.? I assume it was pressed in West Germany.

I wonder how old my copy is.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Keith,

Same clamshell case as your's except black.

Yellow (maybe it was white 20 years ago!) piece of foam'

RSO label (mfg by Polygram - W.Germany) w. Red Cow on discs.

821-937-2

My booklet is slightly different. It has a small pic of Clapton on the front w. the rainbow logo that's on the cover. Back of book is part of guitar with rainbow logo. Booklet has lyrics to the songs.

I can do some scans sometime tomorrow if it's critical for you.

mud-:D

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

This is still in print, or was recently - I had a copy made by Polygram in France, I'd say within the last five years. It had the standard Polygram orange/black print. The back tray card still said made in WG, but there was a sticker that said made in France.

7. KeithH

mud,

Thanks for the info. I should have figured that there is a West German RSO set. I'll be on the lookout.

No need to post some scans. I get the idea. ;) Thanks, though.

Michael,

Thanks for the info. on the French pressing. I wonder if the mastering changed over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.