When was the last time there was a line of people to buy a new album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

So, this is a "homesick thread"; I'm 41 years old and I don't remember in a record store a line of people to buy a new album.

Maybe here on this board there is someone who can remember what was the last (new, just come out) album that caused a so great expectation...

John Bonham likes this.
  2. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

'Be Here Now' ~ Oasis 1997

Erik B., e.s., notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  3. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

[​IMG]

Adele 25. This week?

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

5. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I was gonna say I'm sure they do for Adele, she's so brilliant.

Last time I went to a store the day a record came out was with In Utero.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Be Here Now by Oasis: HMV opened at midnight, but then, two days' later, people were returning it in droves.

7. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Last and only line I ever saw was for Meet The Beatles.

blueoysterdvp likes this.
  8. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I remember a midnight opening when Pink Floyd's A Division Bell was released. There was easily a hundred people on line.

Szeppelin75 and Stefano G. like this.
  9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I know people were lined up for REM's Green.

Stefano G. likes this.
  10. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Huck Caton and JohnnyQuest like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They used to open the Virgin Megastore or HMV at midnight for an important album release. The last one I remember was a Kylie album.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I wasn't there but I remember reading about people in line to purchase The Beatles' "Anthology 1" and "Use your illusion" by Guns n' roses

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, considering that physical media is a declining share of the market, and that even with physical media, etail has a substantial portion of the market, I doubt you'll ever see people lining up to buy and album. No need to. Why line up when you can have the album sent to you or instantly downloaded on release day? But yeah, the new Adele album is smashing Soundscan-era first-week album sales records: http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...e-breaks-album-sales-record-single-week-nsync Although I find myself completely immune to whatever spell Adele has cast over others, her new record is easily the most anticipated in years, and its first week sales seem to be matching the hype of the anticipation (of course she's also out promoting it heavily too).

lightbulb likes this.
  14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I'm sure it was in my teens. The local record store, whenever a huge new release came out, they would put the artists entire catalog on sale for a ridiculous loss-leader price on release day.

15. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I can't recall the last time I witnessed anyone queing up to buy an album. Without commenting on whether or not there is anything being produced that would actually motivate anyone to do so anymore, with the popularity of downloads and streaming and the decline of brick and mortar stores that sell physical media, I doubt we'll ever see that again.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

The answer is pretty obvious to me, why would anyone want to wait in line when they can just order online, also in most cases you can hear the album tracks before they're released. I think this is nothing but another anti Adele, anti new music thread for the usual forum suspects.

JeremyD likes this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I can't find a physical store which stocks new physical music product in my city, so no physical lines are possible any more.

I think that if there was such a store now, there would be lines for new releases by Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan and other contemporary country stars.

18. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Nostalgic on my part, but I just miss the energy and excitement of going to the store on release day and actually finding the title I'm looking for. I've accepted the fact that those days are largely gone. However, (and no conflict of interest here) FYE has been pretty darn good about stocking the "from the vault" and more obscure new releases I'm looking for--and actually on release day. Also, their prices aren't as high as they used to be. Anyway...I'm still mourning the loss of Tower.

19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

No record shops where I live now so no chance of a queue.

The last time I saw a queue for any record was when the Elton John remake of "Candle In The Wind" came out - there was a queue out of Our Price and down the mall. I often wonder how many people still have their copies of that...

Also, I was in Manchester when What's The Story (Morning Glory) came out and the copies were flying off the new release wall - hundreds of copies taking up one entire section.

Erik B. and lightbulb like this.
  20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I don't see that at all. I think the hype around 25 rightfully brings up memories of they heyday when folks lined up for such things as they would be for Adele's new release if we were still in that era. Since Adele's music (like it or not) certainly does not fit cleanly into the contemporary pop genre, I think her music would have sold just as well 30 years ago - maybe better.

ARK likes this.
  21. I have never waited in a line to buy a particular album and have never seen a line in a music store.

I would very much like though to see lines in record stores just to buy "Comus" or "Elder" or "Goat", yes!
    That would be awesome!

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

uh, how about tomorrow? record store day black Friday.

e.s. and Hutch like this.
  23. Does RSD 2015 count?

24. Yes it does!

25. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I can remember a line of people waiting for Like a Prayer by Madonna but it was just 4 or 5 'guys' hysterically laughing or crying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.