When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

sounds like a fun night to me

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sounds like a better idea to me. :)

krock2009 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Note to self- don't go drinking with bekayne. :)

4. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Well this is a doozy. Just to preface this, I've listened to the Beatles since before I could read and write, and I've "always known" the lyrics and never really actively think about them, even as I sing along.

So today (TODAY) I'm sitting eating a Philly cheesesteak on my lunch break and I put on the mono White Album in my earbuds and realize that I've been hearing the lyrics to Back In The USSR wrong!

I thought it was "Moscow girls make me sing and shout, that Jojo's always on my miiiiiind"

You know, like Jojo from Get Back? Yeah I thought she happened to be a Moscow Girl and Paul just sung about her in two songs :sweating::help:

Somehow today I heard the real lyric for the first time and I'm simultaneously embarrassed and mad I didn't notice earlier, because it's a pretty damn great lyric/play on words!

5. I used to believe that people would play quieter and quieter until they stopped. I also believed that everything was played live (I didn't know about overdubs). I also believed that the musicians playing (i.e. like The Beatles) played ALL the instruments back then.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Did I write this already? When I was three I believed there were tiny musicians inside the record and putting the tone arm down meant the needle landed on one of their heads and that was their cue to start playing. That's what I thought at three. I wasn't that bright..

7. It's songs like this that make my love of geography pay off.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

When I was a kid, I had NO IDEA what "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was really all about. I thought it was about procrastination in general. I heard it again recently and paid attention to the lyrics. I was like, "Holy Sh--t!"

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Likewise - probably around three also - I thought for a little while that tiny "radio people" inhabited the old lamp black box AM-only job we had... From what I could see on the back, those bright yellow lamps made the environment look warm and cozy enough to sustain human life I guess...

It's funny that I didn't entertain fantasies like that about television... Just radio!

Runicen, Baidur and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ha, great minds!

ParloFax and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

When I was three I wasn't smart enough to even consider why there might be music coming out of a radio or record player, it was just there.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I thought War's "why can we be friends" was I can p##,p## there. Sorry but that's what I heard.....LOL![​IMG]

JediJoker likes this.
  13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

On the topic of overdubs, when I was in my pre-teens, I used to think that Neil Young brilliantly chose to hire members of Crazy Horse because they sounded exactly like him when doing backing vocals.

Of course, I failed to recognize that in these cases, Neil was just double-tracking the vocals himself.

Fullbug, andrewskyDE and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Someone in 1967 told me the Beatles played the string quartet parts in She's Leaving Home. I wasn't buying it. :unhunh:

Drifter, wayneklein and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

The first one that comes to mind is "Puff The Magic Dragon", which has been mentioned in this thread.
    Some people still don't believe it was about marijuana. The proof of that, they claim, are the published denials by the songwriter, Lenny Lipton.
    However, when I smoked dope with him in Berkeley, in 1976, I was led to believe otherwise.

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
    Was a good friend of mine..

I thought it was real fooking cool the guy was pals with a wine drinking bullfrog.

Mind blown.

SomeCallMeTim and Runicen like this.
  17. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

When I was a kid, I thought Elvis was singing from actual experience when he sang "Jailhouse Rock".

andrewskyDE and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I used to think that a "stingray" was an obstacle in a drag race, that inflicted pain as you drove by.

I also wondered why the surfers in Jan & Dean songs were "shooting the girls."

19. Yeah that seemed a little much to buy when I was 7 but because I saw a picture of John and Paul playing with horns i did think they at least played the horn parts on Pepper and Revolver.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

not a song but....
    yeah I thought this was real till .....um recently

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Well to be fair, I was 12...

22. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

For a couple of years as a little kid, I thought "Olive, the Other Reindeer" was the one screwing with Rudolph and not inviting him to the reindeer games.

23. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Depeche Mode - People Are People
    I thought the lyric was "What makes a man? Takes another man!" :angel::laugh:

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, that is technically true I guess even if that isn't the lyric! :laugh:

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

[​IMG]