When You're Stuck with Only the Radio, What do You Listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

I was in a situation today where I had no access to anything except the radio. (my car head unit decided that it didn't like any of my flash drives all the sudden) The classic rock stations are dead to me, and the "alt. rock" stations play things that don't really appeal to me, so generally I listen to the "power" type stations that play the newer pop. At least it's interesting and stuff I haven't heard 1000x times, and it helps me keep up on what's happening. (not that this type thing happens very often) I could go for the "Music of our Lives" (40s/50s jazz/big band/crooner/lite pop) stations but generally don't.

Anyway, I heard this for the first time today which I liked. So the radio sometimes is good for some things.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

I don't know what I would do.

My local FM stations are terrible. Nothing but 70s rock and contemporary pop. Neither are my cup of tea, far from it. They hardly ever play any 60s rock/pop. And you can forget about any decent jazz :shrug:

I would probably switch to AM and listen to a news station.

KASHMIR likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The news.

tedhead, Hutch and Joshua277456 like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Alwyas go to the "far left side of the dial," the low-power community radio.

Good cities/areas have excellent non-profit free radio with eclectic music.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Silence.

6. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

AM talk radio and country.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I always keep a Mr. Microphone under my seat, so in this situation I would simply roll down the windows and give out wolf-calls to try and score some chicks.

8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

9. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

BBC4

10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Rush Limbaugh

tribby2001 and hi_watt like this.
  11. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Turn it off and sing to myself. :righton:

Joshua277456 likes this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'll switch around and find something that appeals to me. I usually won't even bother with "classic rock" stations. Zzzz.....! They could be a lot more interesting, but program directors and "research" keeps them dull.
    More often than not- depending upon the time of day, I'll end up with NPR.
    (On the weekends here in L.A., KCRW plays mostly great new music. I've discovered a lot of new wonderful stuff!)

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The inner sounds of the id.

14. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I've had Sirius/XM for years now and rarely listen to terrestrial radio.

KASHMIR likes this.
  15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

"Stuck" with the radio? I love the radio -- I'll listen to anything, from rock, to classical, to C&W, to the Spanish-language station, to talk shows (excluding sports "talk.") Of course Chicago has a lot to offer across the dial. I'm sure it's a different story in other, less populated areas.

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I listen to a station that plays NPR and jazz throughout the days and R&B oldies and blues on the weekend.

17. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Yes, I'm pretty much exclusively at 89.3 for my NPR or at 88.5 for KCSN, which plays great music 90% of the time.

asdf35 likes this.
  18. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

We're lucky in Melbourne having a great community station, RRR.
    They play all different kinds of music from all different eras as well as having interesting interviews.
    They also play a lot of vinyl, both new and old so it's an extension of the musical discovery I've been on since joining this forum

19. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I let my nephew make songs with the radio, which amounts to him freeforming it on the seek buttons.

it always ends up sounding like John Oswald, or maybe a forgotten John and Yoko zapple b-side.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

WBSD 89.1 , local high school low power. One of the last good stations around for me.

http://www.wbsdfm.com/

21. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Reminds me of when I had to have an MRI and they asked me which of their 10,000-odd music stations I'd like to listen to while I was in there. I didn't know they did this, so I just said "Uh, I don't know, classic rock, I guess". Big mistake. Thankfully, they had to bring me out half-way through and I asked them to turn it off. The unadorned clattering industrial rhythms of the machine were far more interesting to listen to.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd usually tune to a talk phone-in station, at least until all the idiots bitching about cyclists or immigration or whatever start to annoy me too.

22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I teach Health & Social Care so I'm always tuned into my local BBC station to keep aware of any news situations that might be useful in lessons. However, if I'm driving of an evening, I'm locked into Radio 2. It's night-time middle-aged radio without sounding 'old' middle-aged....if that makes sense.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I can always find something to listen to on the radio- NPR, Sports Talk, or Music.

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

The 4 stations I would switch between over here:

TXFM (formaly known as Phantom Fm) - "indie" & alternative rock & pop.
    Newstalk - Talk radio station
    Nova - Classic pop & rock.
    RTE radio 1 - Mainly for documentary radio programs.

I've always loved talk radio, but lately I'm not into listening to political BS.
    I love older music as well but I'm not satisfied just hearing well worn classics, so It's mainly TXFM
    to hear newer bands. I rarely listen to modern mainstream pop radio.

25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The extended version of John Cage's 4'33".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.