Where are all the late 80's / 90's LP reissues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thurenity, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Alanis ^excellent re-issue^

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I guess we'll have to put things in perspective: In Europe the first three A-ha albums and Kate Bush (apart from "Red Shoes" and "Aerial") are typical bargain bin staples, you can find these dead easy for 5 - 10 Euros. Cardigans are a different beast but even the insanely priced "Gran Turismo" has had two reissues; one on Simply Vinyl, the other on Universal. Right now all you need is a little patience because I can't think of another time that has had so many reissues. In August Universal does the PJ Harvey stuff. Sooner or later a lot of your favourite albums will come out. Again;)

3. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

I'm thinking they will come....eventually... but agree- its definetly not happening fast enough!

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Especially when you see labels reissuing stuff from Ted Nugent and Poco, when their albums are in the bargain bins...

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm really hoping for some A-Ha vinyl. Their early stuff was good, but their last few records (Minor Earth through Foot Of The Mountain) I really loved, and would love to have on LP. Also, a reissue of their killer live album with some actual dynamics would be amazing. That's probably my favorite A-Ha thing, ever.

Thurenity likes this.
  6. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

A lot of what's been said here is dead on regarding risk and upfront costs. Typically your minimum (in the US anyway) that you will agree to license on any title is 3000. In many cases you can license 1500 for your initial run but then you're on the hook for the other 1500 in the next three years. If you look at vinyl sales, it's tougher than you'd think to move 1500 records, let along 3000 in 3 years. The majors are the big hurdle as everyone is asking them about licensing so it takes a long time to even get them to communicate with you. Labels like Plain (Pulp, Beth Orton), Light In The Attic (Mercury Rev, Morphine), Shop Radio Cast (Hum, Quicksand) are all trying to get the same licensing person on phone or email chasing the same catalog of titles. Sundazed is unique in that they tend to seek out stuff where the artists (or smaller labels) own the masters but from what I'm seeing here it all looks like stuff posted is owned by the majors here. Regarding the UK acts, that stuff could get even trickier too. In many cases, especially in the 90's for some reason, the majors would license stuff from UK labels so someone like a Pulp or Blur might have masters that are owned by a UK company but the US majors may still have exclusive rights to distribute the stuff here. In a situation like that you're paying two people in order to get the record out. You should totally go for it but you either have to find something you can get rights to or ask for rights to several in hopes that one comes back then have that money ready to go if/when they say yes... which makes the preorder thing tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.