Where can I find this turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 77jordan, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 77jordan

77jordan Member Thread Starter

Hey can someone recommend me some turntable options with the following features?

- 33/45/78 speeds
    - Reverse option
    - switchable auto stop (on/off)

Thanks!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

None has all the above features. Reverse and switchable auto stop very tough. Manual 3 speeds doable. Auto stop tough, let alone switchable.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

3 speed automatics were mainly changer based, and no shut off for the automation. But could be used as single play. But none of them had reverse.

4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Why?

jeff

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Satanic messages?

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Was the Exorcist soundtrack recorded in reverse?:laugh:

jeff

Mazzy likes this.
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The reverse option is possible with a modified auto-reverse reel to reel deck. The FWD playback head must be hard wired for play in FWD and REV directions, easy to do.
    Easier than that would be a two track reel to reel (half track stereo). Just FF a recorded tape, then transfer the full take up reel to the supply side, flipped, and you have instant reverse playback. This works on a full track mono deck as well. Recommended decks are the Teac 6100-2T, Pioneer RT-1050, Revox B77, Revox PR-99.
    Steve VK

8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 has the first two.

Technocentral likes this.
  9. 77jordan

77jordan Member Thread Starter

Backwards messages yes! Not the speculative ones; ones with actual reverse vocals. When I was younger I would spin them manually. I feel like that is bad for the record!

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I used to detach the ideler wheel from from old Garrard and manually spin the record backwards to record the messages in the old ELO, Beatles, etc. records

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So does the less expensive AT-LP120.

Robin L and Technocentral like this.
  12. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

If you want to play records backward you really need a reverse tonearm.

It's easier to transfer to tape, or digital.

If you are going to buy a tape machine at this date, get a pro machine still used in revenue service so there are at least some new rubber parts. I recommend the Ampex 440, AG350 or 351 machines.

13. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Actually, there's an easier way. Put the full reel of tape on the take up spindle, and the empty take up reel where you'd usually put the full reel of tape. Thread the tape normally except when you get to the capstan/pinch roller area. At that point, thread the tape so that the tape wraps around the capstan once (in a L to R direction) and the tape is pulled around the rubber pinch roller from the front of the pinch roller. Hit play and BAM!...instant reverse playback, no rewiring or disassembly required. This has worked on any deck I ever tried it on. TEACS, Studer/Revox, Akai, Pioneer just to name a few.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The record? Possibly. The real possible damage is to the stylus. Styli aren't engineered to do "backwards" duty, especially any stylus profile other than a conical. Trying to do this with an elliptical (or worse yet, a line contact) will do damage to both the stylus and the record, absolutely.

Even rugged DJ styli can't sustain steady backwards playback.

You're better off recording the tracks you want to a computer from your turntable and reversing the track in an audio editing software. Audacity does this quite well and it's free.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  15. Just pick up Jack Whites last record

77jordan likes this.
  16. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

That was laterally reversed, not radially - played from the inside out, but with normal clockwise rotation.

17. i know....

18. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, that's clever. This will work on all decks that have supply reel back tension (the supply reel motor applies reverse tension, and will rotate in reverse when unloaded) but this will not work on decks without back tension.. such as the Sony TC 255, TC 355, TC 366 and TC 377, and will not work on the vintage Revox tube G series, and other idler wheel drive decks.

19. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I believe you would be looking at the BBC EMT 950

77jordan likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which does not have automation either. And likely beyond his budget.

21. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Sl1200 or most of its clones, in fact I used to have a Audio Technica lp120, which had reverse, on off and and 3 speeds, great deck, if you don't mind a higher S/N ratio.

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I always had my doubts about George Formby...................

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nearly all the options are found on the current AT-120 from Audio Technica, three speeds, reverse, but no auto stop, as it's fully manual.
    Easier still—record to Audacity—freeware that you can load into your computer—process file with "reverse" option, play.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Those teeth, scary . . .

24. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thorens 126, from the early 1980s, has those 3 speeds plus switchable auto lift /stop.

They can be found on eBay from time to time.

25. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Dual CS5000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.