Where did these Rolling Stones songs debut in stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by revolution_vanderbilt, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

So...either Darkly or Rolled Gold is the place to find the stereo "We Love You", without the talking?

2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yep.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  3. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Helmut, are you referring to the "Through the Past Darkly" CD, not vinyl? The only official "Through the Past Darkly" CDs that include "We Love You" are the London label CDs (P33L 25017 [1987], P25L 25044 [1989], or POCD-1924 [1995], all made in Japan) which used the UK album track listing. All other TTPD CDs use the US album track listing lacking "We Love You". I have always wondered whether the London label TTPD CDs have that early fade on "We Love You". Anybody?

I have "More Hot Rocks 2" (meaning Disc 2) on the London label CD, and "We Love You" has the fading you described (at 3:35, when the vocals end and the music climax begins). The worst music decision in history. And MHP informs us that the "Rolled Gold +" CD also has the faded version!

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I was referring to the CD P25L 25044 on "London" made in Japan. But now as you ask I took out my vinyl album Decca 6.22156 and noticed, that it has the same dropouts but not the mysterious level drop around 3:35.
    Why that fade? I don't know, probably it was the same incompetent mastering expert, who faded "Ruby Tuesday" on "Hot Rocks 1".......

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Faded Ruby Tuesday?

6. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Yes, Hot Rocks 1 on CD London 820 141-2 has a fade beginning at 2:55 until the very end. Makes no sense at all.....

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you thinking of the later pressings that also have fade-ups on some songs?

8. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I only have that version from 1985 that was famous for having "Satisfaction" in stereo. Don't know about others.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same catalog number. The original issue has the "DIGITALLY RE-MASTERED" banner in the corner. The later issues removed the banner and had fade-ups on several songs, including Satisfaction.

I don't have the original issue in front of me, but the Japanese CD doesn't have any early fade on Ruby Tuesday.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Neither does my WG London copy of Hot Rocks 1.

lukpac likes this.
  11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I used to have the London Hot Rocks 1 CD with the fade-ups and "Ruby Tuesday" was indeed faded at the end. It drove me crazy because the ending with Charlie Watts switching to the tom-toms for one fill is one of my favourite parts of the song.
    I now have the Japanese which doesn't suffer from this problem.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just remembered I had the original Hot Rocks 1 CD from Germany ripped on my server. Checking now, no early fade on Ruby Tuesday.

tkl7 likes this.
  13. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I remember when I first bought Goat's Head Soup in Tokyo. Blew me away when I heard Star Star uncensored! Love those Japanese pressings.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

so it must be limited to the later pressings with the fade ups? Mine is an early pressing, no fade-ups, no fade out on Ruby Tuesday.

Aftermath and lukpac like this.
  15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The CBS CD is uncensored also.

lukpac likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Virgin too, right?

17. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Are you sure that "Rolled Gold +" (2007) has the faded "We Love You"? I thought the faded version was the stereo mix used only on the London label CDs "Through the Past Darkly" and "More Hot Rocks" which were issued up to 1995. I've never run across it on the US ABKCO CDs, new or old.

18. MHP

I have just checked, and I can confirm that it's the stereo version with a fade at the end.

19. MHP

Sure. Also the 2nd run of Polydor cd's. It was only the first run of Polydor cd's that featured the censored version

lukpac likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What do you mean? Not only does it fade on the original ABKCO More Hot Rocks, it actually fades slightly faster than on the London More Hot Rocks 2.

Oddly, both ABKCO issues have a loud noise in one channel at the end that sounds like a handclap. It's *not* on the London issues, but there's a low level noise at that point, almost like an attempt was made to remove it for some reason.

21. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

That's Brian's head clunking against his amp while passing out
    after drinking too many Elephants.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the 2009 remaster and oddly, one part in censored, but the other isn't (the two parts in question being John Wayne, and, er, feminine hygiene. I forget which part this CD censors, but all other versions I've heard either censor both, or are uncensored)

23. 9la

9la Forum Resident

I just listened to "Rolled Gold" online, and there was no fade; the last 45 seconds are just as loud as the first three and a half minutes, like the original single.

Lukpac, I confess I've avoided the original ABKCO CDs like the plague. On the original vinyl "More Hot Rocks", We Love You definitely did not fade.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What do you mean, last 45 seconds? The fade is only a few seconds early.

25. 9la

9la Forum Resident

On the London CD "More Hot Rocks 2", the volume noticeably drops at about 3:38 when the vocals end, and never goes back up; if anything the volume keeps dropping until the recording ends at about 4:23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.