Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoman076, May 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!

I must admit that my home stereo system is an embarrasment to someone who loves music as much as I do. I have a Bangor olufson beogram turntable, and a motley assortment of components, used and new, that I picked up over the years.

Money has always gone into new music, and not components. But, with the arrival of Steve's 45 rpm sets, I realize that I need new gear in a bad way.

Looking at the past threads, it appears that I need some basic knowledge before I start shopping.

So where is a good place to start? What components should come first? I know that I would like to go with tubes, as a primarily listen to vinyl at home. I want make steve's records proud to be on my system. My budget for the whole system is between $8,000 -$10,000 (over time, of course!)

Any book, website, or personal suggestions would be great. I do have basic electronics knowledge, which will help I guess.

Help me banish my hardware ignorance!! Thanks!!

George

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You can start at many different places, and I'm sure others will make other recommendations. But instead of starting at the bottom, I think it's worth reading the reports of someone who is looking for the best. So you might like to read Arthur Salvatore's adventures in hifi. You should read his "Recommended Components" section at Audio Critique

One of the reasons I think this is worth reading is that he is not a "flavour of the month" audiophile. He does not change components just for the thrill of getting a new item in house. By the same token, he is up with what's happening (for example, Tenor amps and the Hurricane amp that HP liked) but his favourite speaker cables were made years ago.

If you get bored, you can read his recommended LPs, or even see what he says in "Reviewing the Reviewers".

Regards,
    Geoff

Edit: sorry about the period at the end of the link

3. Geoman076

Thanks Geoff, for starting my research off to a good start!

4. Geoman076

hmmmmm.... I can't seem to pull up your link Geoff. I'll try again later.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The link is dead to me too.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hmm, all the charm of an anti-government/conspiracy website, right down to the BOLD DECLARATIONS and statistical analyses proving that there is CORRUPTION!

8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I came across this guy's web site several months ago - he's a complete nana!

That's a decent budget for a great hi-fi system! I won't mention specific components, because I don't have enough information on what you're trying to achieve (vinyl only? multi-channel? room size?) but I will mention something which many people overlook: you can't get out of a system that which doesn't go in.

This means that, even if you have the most fantastic pair of speakers, all you'll get is an excellent reproduction of the audioble shortcomings of the $20 turntable and $79 receiver that you paired them with.

For your budget you can afford good source componets, good amps and good speakers.

9. Geoman076

That website is a great place to start!

10. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

here's a few site in my favorite folder I go to quite often:

audiocirle.com
    goodsound.com
    audioasylum.com
    http://home.attbi.com/~analyst18/links.htm

i found all very helpful when I was looking to build a system

11. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I have some equipment from "Audio by Van Alstine" which I like a lot. It is designed and built right here in the USA. For the price, I have never heard anything better.

Frank Van Alstine will be happy to help you with your decisions, too. You can email him, or call him directly. He seems to prefer phone calls to emails, but he does answer emails promplty.

His website: www.avahifi.com

I was able to pick up a nice used preamp from him that came with the same guarantee as a new one.

He has a sale going on right now...

Check it out.

12. Metralla

That's a superfical observation.

I'll agree that his presentation is overstated and hardly very readable, and I'll agree that he is opinionated and overbearing, but there is a mass of good work there. I've spoken to Arthur on a number of occasions, and he's nobody's fool.

Regards,
    Geoff

13. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Wonder how his dyna st70 rebuild sounds?

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Thanks for posting that cool site, mud. NO spam on it either!

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Here's one:

I posted a similar request some time ago and was directed to a book that was a big help to me. See if you can find "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio" by Robert Harley. It's on Amazon and is quite comprehensive and very imformative.
    The other thing I do is go to high end stereo stores and ask questions.
    Take along a couple of your favorite CD's and LP's. Play the same stuff on as many different components and combinations of components as possible. Educate your ears and then trust them.
    Last piece of advice: Have fun. You can get so bogged down in everything that it becomes work. Obviously some investment in funds and time is necessary to put together a system that you are happy with and can build on but don't make yourself so crazy that you are not having a good time. Enjoy the ride; not just the final goal

Good luck
    Norm

16. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Cliff, to keep things right. I didn't post it, Metralla (Goeff) did. I just fixed the link!

mud-

17. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Nothing superficial about my observation, Geoff.

It's based on several hours going through that web site and sixteen years dissecting hi-fi publications, not a quick five minute look at this (rather ugly) web site.

18. Metralla

OK Michael.

I'm no babe in the woods, mate.

Let's forget about the "ugly" for a second - you won't get any disagreement from me on that point. Let's talk content.

Can you be more specific in why you think Arthur Salvatore is "a complete nana"? That's the very essence of our clash over this site.

Regards,
    Geoff

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Primum non nocere

Given that the jump to bona fide audiophile is prompted by Lps, you should start with a capable TT, one that would provide good sound and also, keep them pristine for the future.

US$2,000-3,000 out of 8,000 for a capable TT, cart and phono preamp should be adequate. Maybe more if you are really into Lps.

20. Geoman076

Thanks proufo, I just started looking at turntables. I'll be in the $2000 - $3000 range. Yipes! this stuff ain't cheap!!

21. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

check out the VPI Scout or Teres tables (teresaudio.com) great tables in that price range.

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

You can probably put together a Teres or RedPoint, plus a Rega and a Dynavector cart for about 3K.

23. wes

wes Senior Member

Ditto,

The Van Alstine preamps sound wonderful for the price. I recently had my super Pas 3i upgraded to a transendence five....I was amazed at how much they improved the phono section. I've been playing a lot more LP's lately.

-Wes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.