Where do you buy your hi end gear from?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Craigslist.

TheVU likes this.
  3. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Audio/Video Therapy and Fidelis both located in Nashua NH.

Opeth and Jvalvano like this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

Wow. That is awesome.

Airbus likes this.
  5. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

Airbus likes this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

My most recent purchases have come from three places: Scott Walker Audio, Tweak Studio and Audio Advisor.

7. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I'm usually buying parts. Great Plains Audio, Parts Connexion, etc...

8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

9. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

There are two local sources that I have used. One has a store front and one is a guy who reps some lines that I love (and I really like the guy).

I bought one or two things online but for high end stuff I insist on having local support and I strongly prefer to support local businesses. In fact, I will spend a little more to go local if I feel like I might have questions down the road. The stuff that I got online just wasn't available locally (Audio Technica headphones) so it was my only option.

McLover likes this.
  10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Whoever gives me the best quote in a state that doesn't charge sales tax!

11. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I have one local dealer who sells both new and used gear. I also have purchased quite a bit from Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and Audio Advisor.

12. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

Always direct from the manufacturer

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I usually buy new, my local shop KJ in central London, I could pop in there daily while buying milk, but try to limit my visits.

14. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

For those folks in Southern California or anyone else who doesn't mind driving from surrounding states (worth it!), Gene Rubin is my absolute favorite dealer. He is the most non-condescending, helpful person I've come across since getting into hifi.

To illustrate this point - the first time I ever called Gene was to ask him about a cheap cartridge I had on my entry level turntable (he didn't carry these products but knew about them). I was a newbie to the game and I had a VERY limited budget. Gene spent over half an hour on the phone with me, discussing the issues with my setup, never once trying to convince me to buy something from him. Guess who my first call was when I was ready to start upgrading?

Gene Rubin Audio Online Store »

Kristofa, McLover and bhazen like this.
  15. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

We have 4 HiFi stores. I frequent 2 of them: The Audio Ark and The Gramophone. Excellent staff and always a fun visit.

-- Sanjay

16. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Mostly Wilson Audio in New Orleans. Bought my first real setup there as a high schooler in 1976 and got reacquainted some years back and have bought a ton of stuff from them since. He's an old school guy and rubs some the wrong way, but I have always gotten impeccable service from them.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

New and Demo: Goldprint Audio
    Used: EBay

19. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I have bought equipment from LMC Home Entertainment & Arizona Hi-Fi locally. I've also bought some things online from The Music Room, audiogon, Elusive Disc and Music Direct. For music, I buy LPs most often from SoundStageDirect and CDs from Amazon.

Destroysall likes this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Hawthorne Stereo, Seattle
    Tune HiFi, Seattle
    Stereotypes Audio, Portland OR

All of these shops have a healthy selection of the kind of gear I like (Naim and Rega being common brands in all three), as well as other brands, some very high-end, and good inexpensive gear to satisfy music lovers on a budget. Hawthorne is where I do most of my business, because they carry a mind-boggling array of used gear, and thus allow trade-ins; as well as offer consignment services. But all three will go beyond the usual service courtesies to ensure satisfaction.

Bubbamike likes this.
  21. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Don Better Audio in Cleveland for major items and Audiogon for a few other things. I have used Music Direct in the past but those days may be coming to an end because of a higher than normal number of mistakes lately.

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Different places, some are now gone. I have bought from:

Sound By Singer
    Innovative Audio
    Lyric Hi Fi
    Stereo Exchange
    Toys From the Attic
    In Living Stereo

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

College HiFi in Chattanooga is my favorite shop, the owner is a long time friend and fellow music lover.

24. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Ultra Fidelis in Milwaukee. Jon Spelt is one of the true good guys in audio. He has never failed to provide excellent service and treats everyone who comes into the shop incredibly well. I don't even go to the other shop in town anymore because the owner just doesn't seem to care unless your wallet is open.

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Ive been quiet on the equipment front for about 18 months but for the previous 5 years I trusted and enjoyed working with Dan at Dedicated Audio. while they have a local "by appointment only" showroom the bulk of their business is online.

Home »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.