Where do you buy your tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wasabi, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where is a good reliable place to get tubes? I see some nice deals on eBay but am weary. I'm looking for some
    Cv181-z Black Treasures and SED Winged “C” 6AS7s specifically.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

TubeDepot.com in the U.S.

TheTubeStore.com in Canada.

BrentB, Rolltide, macster and 5 others like this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

4. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

+ one on the TubeStore. Good people and fast shipping to the US.

AidanB, Bill Why Man and Wasabi like this.
  5. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

I've had good success from Brent Jesse (audiotubes.com). I've also done very well from upscaleaudio.com. My wallet doesnt thank me, but my Rogue amps have.

Dafox, BrentB, avanti1960 and 4 others like this.
  6. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

The Tube Store, Upscale, Brent Jesse, and Tube Depot for me.

But I have also done just fine on ebay. Just be a careful and selective buyer and you'll probably be ok. If you can't afford to lose if a purchase goes south then I would stick to the other options. But it's usually not hard for a buyer to get their money back if they have been wronged (and even if they haven't).

Wasabi likes this.
  7. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

I’m a tube newb and want to make sure I’m getting the real deal. I just made an offer on eBay for the SED Winged C 6AS7s. Taking a chance.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Don't forget Tubes-R-Us and Crazy Otto's Tube Emporium.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

For the Treasure tubes I'd go with the Psvane versions and buy direct from Grant Fidelity rather than a third party seller. Grant Fidelity gets the best tubes of the batch. Third party sellers get the others. But yeah, the Psvane tubes through Grant Fidelity can be more expensive. For the amps I'm buying the tubes for I'm not that price conscious about tube prices. I'm more interested in sound than the price to get it. Here's a history of Treasure and Psvane: Who is Psvane? | Psvane & Treasure Audio Tubes

I'm using the Psvane CV181-TII tubes in my headphone amp. $290 for a pair for new production (ouch!). But for this amp I don't care since I like the sound with those tubes.
    Keep in mind that the Psvane and Treasure CV181 tubes are really 6SN7 tubes and not true CV181 tubes. The CV181 marking on them is marketing and not the same as the CV181 of old.

bluemooze and Wasabi like this.
  10. 1 more vote for thetubestore.com in Canada. Very reliable, and they ship worldwide very fast, excepting a couple of NOS tubes I bought locally in Argentina, I bought all the rest of my tubes (I filled up a big drawer), both new production and NOS tubes from their supply.

on7green, Bill Why Man and Wasabi like this.
  11. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

For the most part I use: The Tube Store, Tube Depot, Cryoset, and Upscale Audio in no particular order. I try to avoid Ebay as much as possible. It’s too much of a crapshoot and I prefer not to get burned there.

33na3rd and ellingtonic like this.
  12. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I bought a quad of Winged "C" (SED) EL34's from the TubeStore a few weeks a go. Even tho they are still breaking in they sounds sweet with full bass, mids and highs that are not overpowering and have great detail.

JohnD and Wasabi like this.
  13. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I’ve had good luck withUpscale with both new and vintage tubes b

14. contium

contium Forum Resident

I have all Manley gear so if I want stock tubes, I go to Manley. If I'm looking for something different, Upscale Audio. Plus they are both local to me.

Wasatch likes this.
  15. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

Viva Tubes through eBay. Cheaper than other places, never had an issue with their tubes.

16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Another good tube(etc) seller:Antique Electronic Supply. In USA. Very reasonable prices.

Wasatch likes this.
  17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Wasatch and Wasabi like this.
  18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I mainly get my output tubes from the Tube Store.
    Input tubes have come from all over. The current set from Jim McShane.

33na3rd likes this.
  19. emenel

emenel Forum Resident

The Tube Store, Brent Jesse, local sales, eBay sometimes.

For any new production The Tube Store is great.

bluesaddict likes this.
  20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

For Europe, I have gotten good tubes from JAC Music in Germany. He has very long delivery times, though. And I also don't share his high opinion of the old Tesla premium tubes. But he is clearly very knowledgeable.

Watford Valves--not cheap, but they have a good reputation AFAIK.

Then there is NOS Tube Store . The owner, Koray, is the real deal. He gives you honest advice on what to buy, and also steers you away from things he doesn't believe you'll be satisfied with.

I also find that I have gotten good tubes from Langrex. They are not a boutique store, though, so they don't seem to do matching on all their tubes.

21. My main tube supplier is Upscale Audio. I've used most of the big online outlets but I get the most tube life/longevity from the folks at Upscale.

22. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Brent Jesse is the best!!!

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The Tube store, Tube Depot and Upscale Audio are my go-to tube dealers. However I deliberately avoid one very popular dealer referenced above because they designate used tubes as being "NOS", which I think is pretty sleazy.

24. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Not going to tell us which one or give more information?

25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Sorry, but I don't like to name the names for sellers who I would be inclined give a poor review on the internet. Just read the fine-print on the website for one of the dealers above who miraculously sells thousands of "NOS" tubes for way below the going prices for genuine NOS tubes, and figure-out who this is for yourself... It's not hard to figure out. The dealer in question does not sell any new Russian or Chinese tubes.

oregonalex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.