Where do you buy your vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by handle, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handle

handle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since I got my Pro-Ject Rm4 I'm back to buying vinyl. I am looking for places on the web where people shop for records.

I've been to RedTrumpet and Acoustic Sounds for audiophile vinyl.

I've used VinylVendors.com and eBay in the past.

I jsut purchased a record from Black-Bird.com, but since I haven't recieved it yet I can not say how their services is.

Gemm is just a confusing meta-search engine, IMHO.

Are there other good places to look for vinyl on the web?

(And yes, I am looking for a Mono MMT and all the 1982 mono reissues for a reasonable price.)

-Tom

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Used record and book stores.

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Here in southern Connecticut, we have a really cool "M&P" called Replay Records (get it?). I've been a fairly steady customers for over 10 years. They have a really, really good selection, and, like most "M&Ps" care about their customers.

4. stever

stever Senior Member

This is where I get most of my vinyl, too. Good prices and sometimes great deals. You just never know what you're gonna find, and that's half the fun. You must have lots of them in beautiful San Diego!

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Yep, that includes Goodwill.

6. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

7. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

In San Diego, I find my LPs at Stereo Unlimited, COW (in Ocean Beach) and Off the Record (in Hillcrest). The best deals are all the thrift shops in Chula Vista!

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

If you are not averse to buying from overseas then I would suggest

http://www.netsounds.com/search.cgi many of the sellers are in the US but there are also an awful lot from the UK and Europe and some of our domestic pressings are quite nice ;) :)

All the best - Andrew

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I buy vinyl everywhere.

When I've bought enough "cheep" vinyl that gets me from day to day (mauybe a pile wasn't that hot)

THAT'S when I go for Red Trumpet, that's when I go for quality vinyl. It's more money I'm spending, but it's money well spent. A big pile of decent records that need cleaning to ONE 45RPM set of Miles Davis Bag's Groove is sometimes better.

Better is better. ;) Sometimes you have to stop buying crappy vinyl and put your money somewhere most useful. Depends.

10. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I've never bought vinyl online except for one time (I got the mono Sundazed Bringing It All Back Home), 'cause shipping charges to Argentina for a well-packed 12" LP often exceed the price of the LP itself.

I have bought new vinyl, two titles specifically, one locally (the Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie 3LP) and the other I brought with me from a trip to the US (the Pumpkins' mono Adore 2LP).

Most of my LPs up to a while ago came from either what was at home (not much I cared for) or from the flea market. I got some good stuff there for pocket change, but I've started to resent flipping pile after pile of filthy junk LPs, sometimes to come up with nothing.

I'm paying a bit more now and buying either from used LP stores (some good stuff to be had) or online auctions (local site).

Cheers

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

All the ones mentioned are good. Also try www.vvmo.com for used. I've gotten some nice things from them.

John k.

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

New vinyl, in order:
    -- Local independent record stores
    -- Trusted online non-audiophile dealers (mostly 45s)
    -- Trusted audiophile dealers (Red Trumpet, Music Direct, et al.)
    -- Direct from the record labels

Used vinyl, in order:
    -- Thrift shops
    -- Used record stores & bookstores
    -- Trusted online & offline mail-order dealers
    -- eBay

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I have three great sources for vinyl close to were I work and live. More recently I've been using e-bay. I also buy a lot from Music Direct, Red Trumpet etc. Garage sales & Goodwill are also places to hit.

14. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Since no one else really has so far in this thread, let me be the first to promote and go into detail about fellow forum member Humorem (Tom Port) who runs Better Records and the dccblowout.com website
    Tom sells both new and used audiophile vinyl, and has much better prices on the used stuff than his competitors. He will go out of his way to try and steer you away from what he considers inferior re-issues and "bad" pressings that are not worth buying, even if it costs him a sale, something most record dealers would not dream of doing. ( indeed a lot of dealers do not even listen critically to the records they are marketing and do not know the stinkers from the gems )
    I find Tom a joy to deal with, he has a good ear IMHO, knows his product, and strikes me as very honest, fair, and trustworthy. I have spent at least a few thousand dollars on his vinyl offerings over the past 5 or 10 years without a single bad experience, and we usually talk vinyl and sound at length whenever I place a phone order. ( I have not met him personally)
    Doing business with an actual person instead of a company is a big plus in my book. And last but not least he packs albums properly and carefully for shipping.

15. davidmm

davidmm Senior Member

I buy new vinyl on line at Circuit City

www.circuitcity.com

They have a great selection and shipping is free.

Dave

16. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Great place for 45's

If you are searching for HTF 45's try "Y&T Records (Yesterday and Today)
    They used to be a brick and mortar store in the DC burbs but now are strictly on line. Last I heard they had over a million 45's. The owner Skip is a DC punk music legend. Check them out: Y&T

Cheers-
    Norm

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Great place for 45's

Yep, I bought a bunch of LPs and 45s when they were a brick and mortar store. If you asked about mono LPs and 45 singles, Skip liked you. If you were stricktly LP and stereo ....hummm not good.:laugh:

18. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

Surprisingly Tower Records online has a large selection of vinyl at very good prices and cheap shipping. The one drawback is that I keep running into backordered and thus non-shipped items.

Worth a look.

Mark P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.