Where does one shop for CDs and LPs these days in Manhattan?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by DrJ, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't been to Manhattan since flying back from a visit the day before 9/11 (that was an eerie feeling to turn on NPR the next morning and hear about the tragedy).

Since then brick and mortar music stores have taken a hit - as I understand it all the Virgin and Tower stores in NYC are closed, which used to be my favorite haunts.

Where can I go now? I'll be staying there for only 2 nights, on the upper West Side around 77th street. It's a work trip and with a packed agenda so I won't have too much time to get out, primarily later evening. Ideally I'd need recommendations for places nearby.

Thanks in advance!:wave:

2. judicata

judicata New Member

Well, you're coming to my 'hood! Unfortunately, there aren't a bunch of places on the UWS. Over on 72nd and Broadway (a little bit west of broadway), is West Side Records. They have a ton of classical, and also a bunch of jazz and some Rock/Pop. There are usually a few guys on the street selling books and they have LP's as well, just walk around Broadway north of 72nd. I've actually found some pretty good scores there.

If you're going to be here on a Sunday, at 76th and Columbus there is a market. Inside the school, there is a guy that sells a few records (5 or 6 boxes, and a mix of stuff).

Then there is Academy Records - 3 locations. If you're limited on time, I'd suggest going to the one on East 12th Street. You can use HopStop (website) to get specific directions, but you'll probably take the 2 or 3 to 14th street, and then the L to 1st Avenue. It is really close to the L - it'll take about 30 minute.

Academy has mostly used and some new. The 12 st. location has a pretty nice selection of rock/pop and a great selection of jazz (I always see lots of japanese pressings with OBI strips, original Blue Notes, etc.).

Other Music, as I recall, sells only new records - at 15 east 4th street.

Good luck!

EDIT: I realized I neglected your CDs. Other Music sells them. The other places I mentioned sell very few.

3. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

J & R. Go to 72nd st and B'way, take the 2 or 3 downtown to park place (that's 5 stops on the express) take stairs at the front of the train, cross Broadway and cut through City Hall Park (minutes) and you're there.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I still like Barnes & Noble - two stores near St. Pats.

53 and 3rd and 46 and 5th.

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks...that's right J&R, I forgot. So far the closest and so most likely option, but I'll definitely keep the others in mind.

Keep 'em coming!

7. Hank

Hank Senior Member

I haven't been there for several years, but one of my favorite destinations is the Jazz Record Center, 236 W. 26th Street, Room 804 (take the elevator). Tons of vinyl, tons of CDs. All jazz, all kinds.

They have a website, too:

http://www.jazzrecordcenter.com/

8. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I left NYC in 1992, back then St. Marks st. was the place to go, is it still?

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member

St. Marks is not EVEN a shadow of it's former self. A shame really, as this used to be THE place to go.

10. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Other Music does sell used vinyl, but they don't have a great selection. My vote goes to Academy on 12th street for vinyl.

I believe St. Marks is down to one store (Rockit Scientist) and sometimes there's a guy on the street selling pretty good stuff out of crates.

Have fun!

11. There used to be a couple of good places in the Village on W.4th St. Are they still there?

12. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Bleecker Records-Bleecker st, between Carmine and Cornelia/ Bleecker Bob's-W 3rd near MacDougal.

13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

There used to be a great place across the river in Hoboken--Pier Platters--it had a used record/CD store behind the regular store. It's closed now, damn it. I understand Brooklyn is the place to buy records in NY now--haven't been back in a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.