Where The Hooters an overlooked/underrated band ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sean monaghan, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

The Call comes to mind.

ytserush likes this.
  2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They were certainly one of the scarce few groups in that time period to have songs with mandolin on the radio, that's for freakin' sure. Maybe the only group!

JulesRules, Panama Hotel and JDeanB like this.
  3. They were certainly overlooked and forgotten by me. Sometime in the mid-80s, I stopped listening to the radio, due to my aversion to synthesizers and drum machines.

4. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I remember liking Loverboy in the early to mid 80s too... wouldn't dream of listening to them today.

I'm sure that I am forgetting plenty, but I can't recall much of anything from the 80s that has stood the test of time (other than some jazz/fusion-YMMV).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    ytserush likes this.
  5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

Comet01 likes this.
  6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Wish they would do another record with Ms Lauper.

7. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

This thread would be less problematic if it was designated as an appreciation thread. :rolleyes:

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Proposed title for the breakout single,based on seeing Ms. Lauper hourly on cable TV in ads paid for by Novartis,a big pharma outfit, to bring awareness to her disease:The Heartbreak Of Psoriasis. As with all diseases with commercials,there would be two versions: Moderate to severe.
    Joking aside,Cyndi did release a real single,Hope,to bring attention to the disease while working with Novartis. It is unclear if Ms. Lauper is a paid participant in the ad campaign or if her services are purely to amplify awareness of the disease,though the reason why Novaris is advertising is to bring afflicted folk to their doctor with the possible prescribing of Cosentyx.

9. The Spin Doctors had some good tunes! They could play and sing, and the band had chemistry. But the frontman was a terrible dancer. He should have gotten some lessons, or at least a clue. Invertebrate spaghetti flailing is not a good look.

Speaking of dancing, that part in the Hooters song "And We Danced" where the band drops out except for three notes on the guitar strings- hit as high harmonics- is a great moment in rock.

JulesRules and wrappedinsky like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think the restaurant chain they opened didn't help matters. :D

gregorya likes this.
  11. The Plimsouls. Toad the Wet Sprocket. Lesser known bands like the Dancing Hoods. The Pontiac Brothers.

12. oh man, that picture is dismal. It screams "manufactured record company product". 1980s fashion was NOT a remedy for 1970s fashion. They were both jokes, but I'll take the clownish Superfly extravagance of 1970s fashion over the Elroy Jetson look any day. I'll even take lounge lizard leisure suits and gold chains over moussed hair and self-importantly serious pastels. Although I think one prefigured the other.

Cheap, trendy marketing moves like that undoubtedly helped to kill the Hooters. But they probably had zero say in it. The band deserved better.

13. No one has yet mentioned that the Hooters were Joan Osborne's original backup band. I like Joan, she's a talented singer.

14. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Boy, I have not thought about the Hooters in well over a decade. I was one of the many people who bought Nervous Night. I don't think they were overlooked/underappreciated in their day, as their songs certainly got a lot of airplay on the radio and MTV. And We Danced and Day By Day were radio staples for a while, a good solid year I'd say. Like an earlier poster said, the shift toward Bon Jovi and heavier pop-rock around 1987 was kind of the end of The Hooters and I did not hear much about them as the 1980s shifted to the 1990s. By the time Nirvana hit it big, The Hooters seemed like a distant memory and their music may have appeared trite and lightweight in comparison to the heavy hitters of angsty alternative rock. They were good in their day though.

LilacTeardrop and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

“Who the f__k are the Hooters?”
    Reportedly asked by Bob Geldof when he was told who was scheduled to open Live Aid at JFK.

16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

What sort of opinion would any of us have of Bruce Springsteen if all we knew him for was the Dancing In The Dark music video? Some might call that video cringe worthy, but it was produced for the times. Obviously, he has quite a bit more gravitas than that. So OK, Bruce is more popular and most of us are aware that he's produced some pretty good music since then.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the Hooters put out some really really good music after the 1980s. And basically, it has almost nothing to do with their 1980s stuff. They've fallen off the radar a bit, so it's understandable that a lot of folks might not know that. But to just pigeonhole them based on their mid '80s stuff is kind of ignorant. I've seen some folks I normally respect on this thread basically write them off because they haven't heard anything but All You Zombies, Day After Day, et al. Comparing them to Loverboy? Seriously?

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw Hooters open for Squeeze in 1985, and midshow, one of the musicians introduced the melodica with a line like "you know what this is? This is a hooter!"

Really dorky stuff - my friends mocked that intro for months!

egebamyasi likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Bruce Hornsby and the Range came along very soon after the Hooters had their brief heyday, and they used mandolin - heck, they even had a hit with "Mandolin Rain"!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

But that's a different thread. This one seems to want to convince people that the Hooters are overlooked/underrated - it's apparently an attempt to change minds.

An appreciation thread would have no debate involved, so it'd be a different beast...

20. Combination

You can understand why he didn't cross my mind, I'm sure. :p

21. Oatsdad

Actually, I don't. If you aware of the Hooters, you shoulda been aware of Hornsby! :)

22. Combination

Yes, regrettably, I know who he is! :)

23. Combination

And vica versa. But we should get back to the lads from Philly, I suppose. :oops:

24. All You Zombies was also got quite a bit of air play. Underappreciated? Sure but they got quite a bit of airplay for at least two of their songs and sold well.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  25. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

I discovered that Hooters cause of reading the back of Joan Osborne's album. So I got a couple of their albums. All You Zombies was a great track! They were a pretty good band, but did their best work backing up Joan, IMHO. Loved the mandolin work especially on St. Theresa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.