Where to get early Pink Floyd singles/songs not albums on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jazon, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have this release, it's great:
    Pink Floyd - A Nice Pair

andrewskyDE and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just a guess but I think the band never cared for 'Point Me At The Sky' since it never charted* and thought it would be a waste having it on an LP.
    Same with 'It Would Be So Nice'. Sadly, even these tracks never got a true stereo mix.
    *In the UK at least. Don't know if it was sold better anywhere outside the UK.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Natural E likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I never much cared for "It Would Be So Nice", but "Point Me At The Sky" is decent.

I found this (very unofficial) Live @ The BBC 2x LP pressing used at the store last year, and the live version of "PM@TS" on there nearly rivals the studio cut. Decent sound on this, but the idiot BBC hosts talk through the beginnings of many of the cuts on disc 1.

Pink Floyd - Complete BBC Sessions 1967-1968

"Stoned Alone" could be another candidate for a new Early singles LP. This unofficial pressing rounds up some of the early material:

Pink Floyd - Psychedelic Games For May

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would love to have a copy of the BBC version of Scream Thy Last Scream on vinyl. The studio version with Syd's voice sped up is really annoying.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interestingly the BBC performance of 'Point Me At The Sky' has a proper ending while the single version fades out. I like both versions actually.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

The US had to make do with what tapes they had. The live Astronomy was the only one they had, as it was cut from the the original US Piper release. Flaming appears in mono, as it only appeared on a mono 45 in the US. The segue out of Interstellar is gone, as the songs were in a different order on the original US LP.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I wonder, there's a fade out of 'Interstellar Overdrive' in Relics, does it sound exactly the same as on the US Piper and Nice Pair?

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not sure. I never thought that laddish humour did them much good. Presume it was those bloke-types at Hipgnosis's idea.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Chrome_Head and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I guess the band wasn't involved in the contents of Masters of Rock (formerly The Best of Pink Floyd) and if they had been, I'm sure It Would Be So Nice would have been left off as well. I think it was Waters who called it f*****g awful.

Chrome_Head and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I had to listen to the album to find out, it has probably been over 25 years since I last gave it a spin. The song is a poorly recorded version of "Octopus". I don't think it is live, also the speed is way off, it plays way too fast giving Syd a high pitched voice.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew Thread Starter

Its really too bad things went the way they did with Syd. I can only imagine what a follow up to Piper would of been had he been writing the majority of songs.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

We’ve talked about this in other threads, but Floyd’s trajectory could’ve been very different—they may have been pegged as much more of a cult psych band.

I can’t see both Syd and Waters being dominant creative forces in the group. I also can’t see the rest of the band playing the songs from Syd’s solo records with a lot of enthusiasm, personally. It’s all very academic, but it also could have been amazing.

13. You have money? Then I guarantee, at some point, it will come. They want your money.

14. If Syd had been able to stay with the band, I suspect he would have been more of a Brian Wilson type i.e., writing music but stepping away from the live performances. I also don't think, like you, that the band would have lasted long with Waters' ambition as a songwriter and Gilmour's guitar playing becoming the dominant focus. Just my take.

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.